Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PGI (uk)

J-doe

Jul 8, 2001
Manchester
Visit site
TBUK

I've just read the whole thread and was interested about Teddy Bear International helping out PGI when the money dried up a bit.

I got hold of a copy of Teddy Bear International from WHSmith yesterday and after reading it cover to cover, i thought that there was far too much US coverage.

So I've decided to start Teddy Bear UK for just the UK scene.

I don't want this to become another flame war, but i reckon it's time we had more magazine space for the UK Teddy Bear scene. What do you all think?

:) :) :)

Silentbob

Gold Mentalist
Apr 17, 2002
Isle of Man
hamptonmanor.org
I thought this was worth a bump (Freedom of speech)

Due to duffastuttas closure of a thread in announcements. It seems to me that - after reading the magazine, and reading these threads - that PB UK have no attitude towards PGI, and are not trying to steal sales off them. I am not going to cancel my subscription to PGI just because a more local magazine has come out. Being the number 1 magazine for PB should give PGI an enourmous sense of well being, and I would expect their bosses to be happy that there is a magazine printed that does not try to rise above their station and cover events that PGI would consider covering. For PGI to cover all world events, each copy would be 1000 pages, and cost 80 quid.

I say live and let live, cummon PGI, we still love you, give the little guys a break ;)

D

duffistuta

Bob, this decision has nothing to do with the threads on here and what PBUK have or haven't said on this forum .

I don't wish to discuss our reasoning here, suffice to say that we have good professional relationships with APG, PB2Xtremes, P8nt and Facefull because we treat each other with respect.

The parties involved know why we are taking this stance.

Syd (NSPL)

NSPL and Pr0to KotH
Aug 30, 2001
Torquay, UK
www.purepaintball.co.uk
If you only cover UK events, you'll have a hard time filling the 'zine all the time. It's why PGI prints all countries events. Simple stuff, really. Nothing intended by it other than the surface statement.

-Tyger
Have you any idea just how many events are run in the UK each month? There are four very successful tournament series plus a large number of high profile events throughout the season. More than enough to fill a "zine" all the time.

Tyger, read a copy and then comment - that's only fair.

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by Syd (SPWL)
Have you any idea just how many events are run in the UK each month? There are four very successful tournament series plus a large number of high profile events throughout the season. More than enough to fill a "zine" all the time.

Tyger, read a copy and then comment - that's only fair.
Not to mention that it is exactly what PGI used to do before they went global

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Originally posted by Cube

But Cube, PGI went global because we couldn't afford to keep the mag going just on Britain.

Paintball Monthly - gone
Paintball Adventure - gone
Paintball Games - gone
Paintball Games International - doing ok.

Ad revenue when UK was at its top - £360,000 per annum
UK ad revenue now - less than £30k per annum.

And Syd, how many players are playing in that series of tournies? And how many of them have subscribed to PB UK? PGI could fill 132pp on Britain you're right but this is not the point - we would not sell enough ads, nor get enough cover price sales and subs to pay the bills. We would close overnight.

It will be very tough to keep a UK-only mag going. This is a fact, it's not a personal opinion.

If you're passionate subscribe, cos remember, even if it doesn't work, you'll all get your money back - so nout to lose really.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Cube
Not to mention that when PGI did exclusively cover UK events the industry base over here was twenty times what it is now.
What do we have now ?
We have Planet, WDP, Powerball, Diablo....and now we're struggling....
I'm afraid that level of advertising revenue couldn't sustain much resembling a serious magazine.
Magazines need advertising; it is their lifeblood and not magazine sales as it is so often erroneously thought.
We either broadened our horizons or died... I'm afraid it was as simple as that !
Now I can get back to my sabbatical :)
Peace
Dammit Rancid, ya beat me to it !!!

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by rancid
But Cube, PGI went global because we couldn't afford to keep the mag going just on Britain.
No dispute from me on that Rancid

I was trying to respond to the idea that there's nothing going on in the UK that could be written about that Syd had quoted, that's all.

Tyger seemed to say that you couldn't write a mag on UK events based on quantity, (or lack thereof), rather than financial reasons.