Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Planning Permission?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Fyi those waivers we all sign don't count for s%&t legally.
Waivers are a statement that you understand what you are getting into

It neither makes the site / staff or players as individuals liable for anything that happens nor stopes them from being liable

The site as is liable for the safety of everyone and can be held accountable if negligent
It's also as an employer liable for the actions of staff

Waivers just mean - I know that I'm going into this environment where I have to be careful and responsible for my actions and that I will be shot at, or i am under age and a responsible person will also acknowledge

The site does not necessarily legally have to have to but realy does need to insure for the liability for the business, staff and public liability
Not having these covered, and not having comprehensive risk assessments and mitigations will make insurance harder / more expensive and permission harder to get

Think ahead with risk assessments etc
A purely punter site can wipe self filling / private equipment risk by totally disallowing it. But then come to a problem when considering walkons and events

Have your staff operate equipment and fill site cylinders
Let walkons self fill (get ukpsf hpa1 and air pass mini course details) and though it means they will be operating a full station then only they are handing their equipment - with your staff making a visual inspection

Write one risk assessment on day 1 then later amending it could seem ok but if the insurer quoted against your original then they can stick two fingers up later when something happens

It all goes back to speaking with the ukpsf and getting all the right advice

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Yeah the insurance is cheap.
Waivers are more important to the field owner as customer data, and should be digitised (electronic waivers filled out on tablets/desktops at the location). Once you have a digitised database you can employ automated marketing.
I strongly urge you to go this route.

Sep 5, 2016
Oh absolutely! I am a web developer/ marketer by trade so that end is 2nd nature!
I have links to a couple of LARGE local corporations so hopefully can foster some ongoing "generic corporate bonding" type days.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
With 'bonding' see what you can come up with for making things different for 'experiences'

Back in the olden days paintball fell into the trap of being a 'team bonding' activity, without going into how or why. Some owners knew the needs, many just said its bonding. Some companies knew what they wanted for their bonding and some just because it said so on the leaflet

Chopping a group in two and making them shoot each other does not create a team
Someone may shine and inspire a team, but more likely people settle old scores or shoot the boss

A company may want to put people out of the office and to have fun, paintball can do that - as long as it's not taken over by the dicks of the office, or there are people who do not see the fun in it

A company may want a bit of advance discussion between the company and the site about what the objective is, and to plan some activities and missions around it
It doesn't have to be all corporate crap

If you can offer different features than other sites or some skills instruction from your staff
You don't need ex sas but can easily get good staff to manage a group with some basic small squad tactics
Scenario paintball now has quite a few organisers taking advantage of venues and doing cqb room clearance, fire and manoeuvre etc

Put people on shooting range to get familiar
Give them some 'training' sessions
Then put them on missions, perhaps a scripted mission*, or just continue the rest of the day playing

They will definatley shoot less paint when training and probably less when playing
But they leave happier that they got something unique and bettered their skills

* in a scripted mission don't let them die, just have them keep moving and only have 'casualties' when you day so and the rest have to evacuate them

Sep 5, 2016
More excellent advice - Thanks Tom :)

Its always a bit strange joining a new forum, sometimes people greet you like an idiot and tell you to sod off - seems the opposite here!

Sep 5, 2016
Hehe!!!
obviously caught you on a good week! (Or this is the lulling part..!)

Aanyhoo,
I'm doing a business plan now, awaiting a reply from the council, so basically figuring out if its viable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Vorner23

Jun 7, 2016
Yes basically .They are called business rates rather than council tax. Intrinsically the same thing, ie you get xxx all from it.

If you are leasing the site the landlord might agree to cover rates himself. DO NOT verbally agree this. Get it in writing or you'll get stung. Rates for warehouses, which is all I know about are roughly 20% of the rental value. So it is a significant cost to plan for.

There are certainly lots of costs involved in running a business !