Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Poppet or Spool Valve?

jimbojetset

Mar 21, 2011
So there's a lot of debate online in YouTube videos and paintball forums across the globe about poppet valve paintball guns vs. spool valve guns...

Many say 'it's all about your personal preference' but since I don't have anywhere with an abundant supply of upper-end markers to try out, I'm asking for you guys' personal opinions?

What's easier to maintain? Easier to break (knowing me)? Which fires better?

Since the only markers I've owned are the tippmann A5 and X7 and an old invert mini, I'm looking to up my game.

Any input is most appreciated :)

Mar 14, 2012
Maintenance of a poppet is almost always easier than a spool. As for shooting them, personal preference honestly. I like both

alexd

http://essexaces.co.uk
Feb 17, 2006
Essex
www.facebook.com
Maintenance: Ego (poppet) is one of the easiest markers to maintain. Geo (spool) needs slightly more TLC
Shooting trajectory: a geo has a flatter shot than the ego, but through practice you will work with the capabilities

Both are backed up by some of the best post sales Customer Service in the industry

Last edited:

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Buy an Axe. It shoots like a spoolie, maintains like a poppet :)

Spoolies tend to be more fickle things but the purists will tell you they shoot better. I personally think if you pull the trigger and a ball comes out, well, job done really.

Reactions: Care_Bears

Niall W

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2007
Cambridgeshire / Swansea
As a rule of thumb...

Spools:
+ Quiet.
+ Smooth.
+ Soft on paint.
- Worse efficiency.
- More maintenance.

Poppets:
+ Good efficiency.
+ Little maintenance needed.
- More kick.
- Harsher on paint.
- Loud.

These are sweeping generalisations, and of course not all pros and cons can be related to every spool or poppet.

With modern high end markers, any serious flaws are pretty much ironed out so it really is mostly a question of personal preference. I enjoy the 'chuck it in a bag after practice and not worry about it'ness' of poppets such as egos, and not having to worry about running it with a 0.7. But on the other hand I love the softness of a well run in dye marker.
Ive owned both and would take either without prejudice.

Im guessing from your previous markers you play woodsball? A poppet would probably be wise for those extended woods / scenario games where efficiency is a factor.

Reactions: alexd

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
I personally think before you go out and buy any Gun, look up all the different types on U-Tube, and to be honest I`m surprised you haven`t already since you want to move up, Oh and by the way !! there is loads between a Spoolie and a Poppet, don`t let them Kid you ?? I also love an Axe if nothing else but the Sound !! they are the quietest guns on the planet if you have the right barrel, But other guns have good points too, it`s similar to a guys #### , they all do the job But they are definitely Not Equal.

jimbojetset

Mar 21, 2011
Brilliant, thanks guys...

Like Niall said, I'm a woodsball player at heart, since I'm not fit enough for a real speedball team and I LOVE big games.
Tempting to turn to a poppet marker simply because of efficiency and many sexy looking guns out there, and the simplicity.

How does everyone feel about the Vanguard Creed? I love the looks and there's been a few going on here recently?

If not, I'm looking for a marker (probably second hand) for around £250 - £350 So real high end markers are out of the question.