Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Poppet or Spool Valve?

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
From a purists POV, a spool valve is a more elegant design - no ram smashing metal into metal to force a poppet open, but practically there's little to choose between them these days. The Axe is a nice mid-point between the two, with an in-line poppet which removes the ram, you'll be able to pickup a nice one for £250-£300. Another vote for avoiding Vanguard, so many people trying to offload markers at the moment and loads of reported faults.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Again, listen to Rusty Dusty (see my sly edit?). I'd go for a Planet Eclipse marker ie Etek4 or Etha. Great aftersales support. Loads of spares included with the marker. Robust markers. You will have a fun day of paintball without worry if you go for them.
Also, if you buy a Planet marker, or an Axe, or a Dye/Proto marker, chances are there'll be a tech support tent on site if it's a big event, failing that there'll be someone with knowledge/spares as there are hundreds of these markers doing the rounds.

I'll stick with my Axe recommendation though for now :) I've owned one, shoots as well as markers 2 and 3 times the price of it........

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
It's all personal preference. For me, I think I'll always stick with a poppet gun. Although it's not very frequent, every once in a while you will get a break in the breach and I like that I can easily whip the bolt out and send a fluffy down without worrying about having to pretty much strip and relube your gun each time.

raxable

Jun 14, 2011
farnborough
From a purists POV, a spool valve is a more elegant design - no ram smashing metal into metal to force a poppet open, but practically there's little to choose between them these days. The Axe is a nice mid-point between the two, with an in-line poppet which removes the ram, you'll be able to pickup a nice one for £250-£300. Another vote for avoiding Vanguard, so many people trying to offload markers at the moment and loads of reported faults.
whats the nearest site to you?
i would say go ans ask the local walk on guys if you can shoot their guns on the range to see what you like.
most will be ok with that but dont get offended if some say no.

if you are around the cobham area you are wellcome to blast my collection.

olliewidd

Jul 5, 2012
In terms of bang for your buck Id recommend an Axe. I absolutely love mine, its quiet, simple to maintain, gas efficient and, most importantly, reliable. I used to own an ego 9 and although I like its ruggedness and efficiency it just does not compare to the Axe, not even close. Spares, upgrades and knowledge are all easy to find for the axe. It also hits the mid-ground between poppet and spool, its quiet and smooth like a spool yet has all the benefits of a poppet (effeciency, easy of maintainence etc etc) It is a sexy bit of kit and theyre relatively cheap.

Chris@warpedsports

Sep 3, 2012
warped hq
www.warpedgear.co.uk
Agreed with above axe is great bang for buck!

And like has been said before both have pros and cons!

Poppet's are way more efficient and more reliable with less maintenance.
they tend to be louder and have more kick.

I love to take out a ego at north v south. with 4.5k air I can shoot more paint than I can carry!

Spoolies well like people say for the purist they shoot smoother have less kick, are quieter.

but can be temperamental in mainly in colder conditions. but if you no your gun and clean and lube regularly you will be ok.

my luxe 2.0 gives me zero issues tbh! but its not great on air, both types of guns have pros and cons! best bet is to hold a few different ones and shoot them and make decision on personal opinion as its you who will be shooting it! All these difference's are quite minor really! as long as you can shoot 10bps and 280-300 fps jobs a good un for me!

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
well having been shooting Geos and luxes for the last couple of years i would completely agree, but my opinion on poppets has all changed with the LV1. After shooting that bad boy i'm going to be picking one up ASAP.

shoaibaktar

Jun 14, 2011
Jimbo ,Ive shot my son,s Geo 3 and LV1. They are both excellent guns the Geo is smoother and has an arc to the trajectory,while the Ego is flatter .This is a generalisation but back players prefer the flatter Ego for judging full field shots whereas the loop of the Geo is less of an issue to wide players who live closer to their target.Also putting a shot in over a snake or the edge of a dorito is helped with a small loop.The gentle on paint edge the Geo had is gone with the LV,s being just as good and Planet give you a soft bolt alternative with the gun.As pointed out at the economy end the Etek and Etha give you the same choice..Am just selling his first Etek to a walk on guy.at work .It has never needed any of the spares, shoots impeccably ,,if a little noisy compared to Geo. Apart from needing a set up change for very cold weather,has never failed ,needing only new batteries and a good clean. Hope this helps ,and no I dont work for Planet lol .

Last edited: