Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Poppet or spool

Ashfire

Sep 3, 2014
So only just joined the forum and looking to get another marker. It'll be second hand. Now I've mentioned elsewhere about owning an ego 05 and I still quite like the ego range.

One thing I'm not sure I get is the poppet valve markers versus spool markers.

Forgetting the physical differences what is the benefit of one Over another.

For example why a ego over a geo.

Thanks and any help appreciated.

P.s apologies if this should be posted elsewhere but I'd like the phrase answered in a way I can understand as I've not held a marker for 10 years.

Labouch

Sandana whore!
Aug 12, 2011
Dorset, England
Poppet markers will mostly be more air efficient over spool valve markers.
I would really choose depending on what position/style you play..for example I shoot a geo and have shot several egos over the years, I chose the geo because I liked the small tight feel of it and because I play in the snake I don't really need as high air efficiency. I personally found egos to feel long but that's my personal preference.

Bondage Bunny

Matt D
Sep 18, 2013
Stafford, UK
I personally found egos to feel long but that's my personal preference.
Now with the Ego's and Geo's since the LV1 and 3.1 they feel really similar in the hands.

Main real differences is Poppets are more air efficient however are normally louder and kick more than a spool. I also personally find Geo's easier to maintain than an LV1 due to the lack of an LPR to tune/maintain, not that they are difficult but just one less thing on most spools :)

Best advice is go to your local walk on and try a couple markers and see what you like the feel of both ergonomically and in how it shoots. My personal recommendation is a Luxe :) Shoots so softly and quiet and sits really nice in my hands. If you can get over its comparatively poor air efficiency it's an incredible marker

Labouch

Sandana whore!
Aug 12, 2011
Dorset, England
Now with the Ego's and Geo's since the LV1 and 3.1 they feel really similar in the hands.

Main real differences is Poppets are more air efficient however are normally louder and kick more than a spool. I also personally find Geo's easier to maintain than an LV1 due to the lack of an LPR to tune/maintain, not that they are difficult but just one less thing on most spools :)

Best advice is go to your local walk on and try a couple markers and see what you like the feel of both ergonomically and in how it shoots. My personal recommendation is a Luxe :) Shoots so softly and quiet and sits really nice in my hands. If you can get over its comparatively poor air efficiency it's an incredible marker
My geo is definitely easier to maintain, newer poppets I've found to be a lot smoother but it seems to me like spool valves are starting to catch up efficiency wise like the lv core from eclipse :)

Bondage Bunny

Matt D
Sep 18, 2013
Stafford, UK
My geo is definitely easier to maintain, newer poppets I've found to be a lot smoother but it seems to me like spool valves are starting to catch up efficiency wise like the lv core from eclipse :)
So far i've not shot a poppet that is anywhere near the smoothness of a proper soft spoolie like a Luxe. The LV1 and G6R are both really nice and way way softer than the older egos or the eteks but still can't compare. And yeah the Geo is really efficient for a Spool but if you want a soft efficient spoolie try a BL Insight :)

Labouch

Sandana whore!
Aug 12, 2011
Dorset, England
So far i've not shot a poppet that is anywhere near the smoothness of a proper soft spoolie like a Luxe. The LV1 and G6R are both really nice and way way softer than the older egos or the eteks but still can't compare. And yeah the Geo is really efficient for a Spool but if you want a soft efficient spoolie try a BL Insight :)
The geo is spot on for me, I like to have a little kick from my markers as I fire haha. As for bob long, I've heard support can be quite difficult over here?

Bondage Bunny

Matt D
Sep 18, 2013
Stafford, UK
The geo is spot on for me, I like to have a little kick from my markers as I fire haha. As for bob long, I've heard support can be quite difficult over here?
Have you shot a Luxe 2.0 or OLED? and yeah its not on the same level as PE or Luxe having techs at the event but they do have a UK Bob Long techie in Wildwayz now

Labouch

Sandana whore!
Aug 12, 2011
Dorset, England
Have you shot a Luxe 2.0 or OLED? and yeah its not on the same level as PE or Luxe having techs at the event but they do have a UK Bob Long techie in Wildwayz now
Not a 2.0, I owned a luxe 1.0 with 2.0 internals but didn't get along with it haha.
I'll bare that in mind next time I change markers :)

Ashfire

Sep 3, 2014
Thanks guys that was exactly the answer I was looking for and by the sounds of it. The answer is not a lot different try them out and compare. Which I will try to do soon. Cheers again guys.

Labouch

Sandana whore!
Aug 12, 2011
Dorset, England
Go to any walkon and you'll be sure the find people with both markers and ask to take a look/shoot on a range. Most guys will let you have a go and give you advice etc, that's the best way to choose

Reactions: Bondage Bunny