Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PSP off season shenanigans!

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers
The shame is that PSP hired a new director of Marketing. Their facebook feed is exploding with anger on every post they make, and still silence. They need to come out with a rational response, and quickly.
The marketing guy wont have any control over the matter, so he cant say anything until top-brass tell him to post an official line from them.. In the meantime he just has to stick to his usual routine and shut out the barrage of comments, although I'm sure he is eager to address it. I know Pando, he's a nice guy and a great fit for that role, but he will have no say in this matter other than the time it gets posted on instagram or wherever its going up first.

None of this is even official yet either.. The OP in PBN starts "I was just told about a rumor involving the PSP" - PSP could come out next week and say 'it only applies to guns, goggles and loaders' (essentially the paintball specific gear) and the guy from Raza could look a bit stupid for flying off like he did... (maybe not, it might come back and try to cover things all the way down to socks and he could be very justified) There is probably something more official being circulated among the PSP sponsors, atleast the replies from John do indicate that much.

One thing you can pretty much guarantee is that when Lane comes out and makes a statement he wont pull any punches or try and skirt the grey areas. It will be definitive and he will give his reasons, then people can make an actual decision on those facts rather than the rampant speculation thats filled about 45 of the 52 pages of that thread...

Zondo

One of eight bosses
Aug 31, 2014
United States
The marketing guy wont have any control over the matter, so he cant say anything until top-brass tell him to post an official line from them.. In the meantime he just has to stick to his usual routine and shut out the barrage of comments...

None of this is even official yet either.. The OP in PBN starts "I was just told about a rumor involving the PSP" - PSP could come out next week and say 'it only applies to guns, goggles and loaders' (essentially the paintball specific gear) and the guy from Raza could look a bit stupid for flying off like he did... (maybe not, it might come back and try to cover things all the way down to socks and he could be very justified) There is probably something more official being circulated among the PSP sponsors, atleast the replies from John do indicate that much.

One thing you can pretty much guarantee is that when Lane comes out and makes a statement he wont pull any punches or try and skirt the grey areas. It will be definitive and he will give his reasons, then people can make an actual decision on those facts rather than the rampant speculation thats filled about 45 of the 52 pages of that thread...

I think that if this were timed differently (say they were to make this change for the 2016 season), I would be more inclined to agree with you about trying to be more pragmatic. But with the impending announcement to be made at some point in the near indeterminant future only leaves people flailing because they don't know if this will be effective immediately or next year or what the specifics are.

So, today is February 11th and the next PSP event is March 13th and company XX would have to look at making travel arraingements for YY number of personnel and ZZ lbs (yes, I'm a yank) of equipment and swag that have to go out there a couple of days in advance for setup. But now there is this ominous question as to what is going on and a decision that has to be made inside of 30 days. So they don't know if it applies to a gun, a regulator, a barrel kit, goggle strap, jersey, pants, cleats, packs, etc. So do they have to come up with the total amount now? What if they are a small company and don't have the $65K to fork over plus travel and expenses for their people standing by in a slush fund? Do they risk taking out a loan to support this? That's a lot to ask of the mid to small companies in a small amount of time.

This also leaves the teams guessing as well, many of which pay to play from what I can tell. Now they don't know if they will be able to play because the tournament marker they own is made by a company that didn't pay. What if the company is no longer in existence? They can't shoot their G-6Rs or Timmies for sure, what about MacDev? Do they fall under Virtue's umbrella?

Leaving too many questions on the table with too little time to react will always give you exactly what's happening right now: pissed off people. Even if it wasn't a complete statement of the policy, they should have put out a statement just to minimize what's happening now.

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers
I think that if this were timed differently (say they were to make this change for the 2016 season), I would be more inclined to agree with you about trying to be more pragmatic. But with the impending announcement to be made at some point in the near indeterminant future only leaves people flailing because they don't know if this will be effective immediately or next year or what the specifics are.

So, today is February 11th and the next PSP event is March 13th and company XX would have to look at making travel arraingements for YY number of personnel and ZZ lbs (yes, I'm a yank) of equipment and swag that have to go out there a couple of days in advance for setup. But now there is this ominous question as to what is going on and a decision that has to be made inside of 30 days. So they don't know if it applies to a gun, a regulator, a barrel kit, goggle strap, jersey, pants, cleats, packs, etc. So do they have to come up with the total amount now? What if they are a small company and don't have the $65K to fork over plus travel and expenses for their people standing by in a slush fund? Do they risk taking out a loan to support this? That's a lot to ask of the mid to small companies in a small amount of time.

This also leaves the teams guessing as well, many of which pay to play from what I can tell. Now they don't know if they will be able to play because the tournament marker they own is made by a company that didn't pay. What if the company is no longer in existence? They can't shoot their G-6Rs or Timmies for sure, what about MacDev? Do they fall under Virtue's umbrella?

Leaving too many questions on the table with too little time to react will always give you exactly what's happening right now: pissed off people. Even if it wasn't a complete statement of the policy, they should have put out a statement just to minimize what's happening now.
Totally agree the timing is far from helpful... It should have been in the sponsor portfolio from the start, so if those are only just going out then its poor planning / execution on the PSPs part.

Can't help but feel there is a decent chunk of hyperbole coming out about it all though - maybe they didnt bother to read the portfolio and just assumed they'd get the same deal as last year only to be caught out now? Maybe they've spent 3 months trying to negotiate and PSP wont budge so they've tried making it public to make the PSP squirm?

Everyone will speculate right up until the PSP says something, then they will speculate some more about the hidden meaning of what they said and how this public leak clearly made them back down or whatever. Time will tell I guess, hopefully not too much more time will pass before we know, though..

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Ninios on AC Dallas roster!

Nicky Cuba is on the roster for Dallas as well for Infamous, that's great to see given his knee injuries. Hopefully he's feeling better.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
Back on topic!

All the rosters are actually on APPA now, so there should not be (m)any more surprises...
That's a shame! I kind of wish rosters for pro were kept under wrap until the first event. That would have been awesome, especially considering all of the moves this year

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers
That's a shame! I kind of wish rosters for pro were kept under wrap until the first event. That would have been awesome, especially considering all of the moves this year
Or at least have the PSP/PBA announce them one by one in a nicely co-ordinated social media campaign... But then again the content would go un-noticed at the moment and would just drown in a barrage of 'f*ck you, get your hands off my $65k' haters...

Reactions: Dave284

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
The banks in the US are a lot more ruthless than our banks over here when it comes to retrieving money they think they are owed - over here, we have limited company status that allows companies to go down and not be liable to any outstanding debts such as VAT or PAYE etc ...
I believe it may be different in the US and even if an individual hasn't put up their personal property [commercial or otherwise] as security for a loan, the banks will still go for whatever assets the individual owns.
I know Dave YB reasonably well and he's nobody's fool and he'll do whatever he can to save his company portfolio which includes Dye in its various forms.
A lot of people like to speculate what's really happening which only swerves to muddy the waters and prove injurious to our industry as a whole because ... believe me, if Dye goes down, there will be a lot of nervous people in our industry who have the banks tentacles wrapped around their financial nuts.
Let's hope it never gets that far ...

Reactions: Spikerz

Ash - GI Sportz

GI Sportz
Jun 14, 2006
GI Towers
Just to touch on this PSP thing again.. A guy on FaceBook, who runs a small custom jersey / soft goods company in the US, who has quite the penchant for PSP-bashing has just posted
"Just got some insight on the new PSP sponsorship program for manufactures.
The price isnt bad for what they are getting
Just wait for the release."

If he feels the need to come out and say that, then it must be no-where near as bad as anyone made out before...

Reactions: Spikerz