Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PSP ROF for 2014!

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
So PSP has confirmed the rumours that the pro (champions/challengers) division will have their ROF cap reduced to 10.2, to make for more aggressive play.

Official statement from the PSP:
http://paintballx3.com/blog/?p=131

Should be an interesting change, should make the webcast a bit more interesting to watch!

Richiemonk

Jul 24, 2005
Norfolk
Seeing how the Yanks struggle with 10.5 at the Mills, i think the PSP is gonna see some VERY interesting results at the first event!

Not sure this is the greatest move in the world by PSP....

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
I think the reasoning behind the change is a step in the right direction, I saw too many points when people just run to their bunkers and shoot lanes. Technically it's what you need to do to win points, but I enjoy seeing people making crazy ass runs!

Although saying that, you don't see a lot of crazy moves in the Millenniums, so it will be interesting to see how it will affect play in the PSP. I think it's a good idea, and it should make for an interesting webcast!!

hoot

Mad Sqad Rebels
Sep 17, 2011
Falkirk, Scotland
The Americans are freaking out in Pbnation despite the fact that it only affects the pro divisions. Plenty of comments along the lines of "I AM NEVER PAYING PSP AGAIN" and THIS IS TERRIBLE THEY SHOULD HAVE SET IT TO 15". Couple of people supporting the change. Will be interesting to see how it goes next year.

Stephen

RIP Topcats
Apr 27, 2008
Hertfordshire
The Americans are freaking out in Pbnation despite the fact that it only affects the pro divisions. Plenty of comments along the lines of "I AM NEVER PAYING PSP AGAIN" and THIS IS TERRIBLE THEY SHOULD HAVE SET IT TO 15". Couple of people supporting the change. Will be interesting to see how it goes next year.
I saw that as well, it's hilarious to see all the keyboard warriors coming out when you know they'll all still be playing PSP next year. It doesn't affect them in the slightest and they're all going mad over it! :LOL:

Reactions: hoot

UKBall

"That Guy"
Sep 5, 2013
Stockton-On-Tees
It will probably open the doors to new players in tourneys as the decreased rate of fire might actually give newcomers a chance to get off the break without loosing 1 or 2 men.

jack-amo

Oct 9, 2010
Sandbach
How much difference will it really make from 12.5 to 10.2? I'm not sure as I've only ever played at 10bps. Personally I cant see it speeding the game up that much.

I guess it means (in theory) that more players will make it alive off the break. This could actually slow the game down as something I've observed from the webcast is that the slow points tend to open with 5-alive on both sides. On the flipside, if the difference is enough to allow players to get wider and further down the field off the break then we will probably see more train-wreck paintball.

Again, not really sure how much of an impact this will have as I've only ever done 10 - but I really can't see it having as big an impact as the field dimension changes and the extra bunkers. I'm not even convinced there is anything wrong with the pace of the game.

There were plenty of quick points and good moves this year. Also a lot more up-the-middle plays which was pretty sweet. There's nothing wrong with the odd slow point anyway; I think it can be quite tense :p ...excluding WC 2012 Heat vs Xfactor prelim match of course - that was painful!

Last edited:
Reactions: H

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
By the sound if it just at Dallas for the min
I saw this as well, which is an interesting point in itself. I just don't get how they plan to gauge the success of the new ROF cap after one event. A poll of random pro players maybe?

I can understand that the idea is to speed the game and you can definitely feel/tell the difference between 12.5 and 10 (not that I've ever played at 12.5, only ever shot it) but when you consider teams like Damage who are famed for their slow-playing abilities, I just don't see changing to 10bps really making them re-evaluate their playing styles... They'll still be able to dig out to the corners and they'll still be able to sit there and lane for 10minutes. If anything, their paint will last even longer now!

I suppose that at least the PSP have done something (even if inadvertently so) to bring the major leagues more in line with each other. Hopefully the MS will change the M to an A next...