Ramping at the PA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Paintball's retirement community
Originally posted by Russell Smith

Olli I promise you mate the device is fantastic and it works very very well, it can store the last one hundred shots and tell you the time every shot was fired and it can detect a thousand shots per second.
Russ:)

Russ. Am I missing something ?

If the above statement is true, wouldn't it have been so much easier & a lot less contraversial, just to get a whole load of these anyway & check every gun, randomly, during gameplay?

If this device is capable of proving that a gun is only shooting 15bps, & by measuring the time interval between shots, prove that due to the regular timing of the shots a gun is using a "cheater" board, conversley couldn't the same device be used, universally to prove ramping guns & therefore ban them ?

I may be wide of the mark here, but it seem to make a lot more sense, than doing what you are, at the moment.

If you say you can prove that a gun is shooting faster than 15bps, surely you can prove that a gun is ramping, thereby negating your own argument ?

Rob - Nott'm Tremmor

I was Captain/manager/coach
Dec 17, 2003
Nottingham
Originally posted by robtattoo
If you say you can prove that a gun is shooting faster than 15bps, surely you can prove that a gun is ramping, thereby negating your own argument ?
Not unless the same device is pulling the trigger. So it knows how many times the trigger has been pulled and how many shots have left the barrel.

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Not really, if the space between each shot is at exactly the same time interval, this would conclusively prove the use of software assistance. No human being alive, or dead could accurately time their fingers to move at such a regular rate (.637ms??) You could conceivably shoot at 15bps, but the timing between each shot would fluctuate wildly, if you took the rate between each individual shot, you could be hitting as high as 25bps or as low as 5bps, but over a timed second, you would still average 15bps. Get my meaning? The device in question measues the time interval between each & every shot fired so could easily distinguish between assisted & un-assisted shooting.

Why has no-one else seen this ?
I've read some educated & informative posts on this & other similar threads, but am I the only one who's noticed this glaringly obvious solution?

Russel has already told us that the technology is available, why is it being used in the wrong way ?

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
"If no 2 chips are consistantly the same" - manufacturers quote.
It is the possible that 2 ramping markers with the same settings can shoot at different bps. As only a small number of boards are checked in the factory - what happens if one marker fires at 15bps and another shoots at 16 bps with identical setups

Not really, if the space between each shot is at exactly the same time interval, this would conclusively prove the use of software assistance. No human being alive, or dead could accurately time their fingers to move at such a regular rate (.637ms??) You could conceivably shoot at 15bps, but the timing between each shot would fluctuate wildly, if you took the rate between each individual shot, you could be hitting as high as 25bps or as low as 5bps, but over a timed second, you would still average 15bps. Get my meaning? The device in question measues the time interval between each & every shot fired so could easily distinguish between assisted & un-assisted shooting.

Why has no-one else seen this ?
I've read some educated & informative posts on this & other similar threads, but am I the only one who's noticed this glaringly obvious solution?

Russel has already told us that the technology is available, why is it being used in the wrong way ?

How about if I am pulling over 15bps and the board slows it down to 15, thats gonna be an even 15.

Or if my board was designed to give me an uneven amount of assisted shots, very easy to do...

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by Dark Warrior
"If no 2 chips are consistantly the same" - manufacturers quote.
It is the possible that 2 ramping markers with the same settings can shoot at different bps. As only a small number of boards are checked in the factory - what happens if one marker fires at 15bps and another shoots at 16 bps with identical setups

Yes, but what's your point ? You can soon change the settings on the faster board to bring it down to 15bps. Just beacause it says 15 on a counter doesn't mean that it's right. How accurate is the speedo in your car ? Cos if you & I both sat at an indicated 60mph, I can absolutely guarentee that one of us will be going faster than the other.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Yes, but what's your point ? You can soon change the settings on the faster board to bring it down to 15bps. Just beacause it says 15 on a counter doesn't mean that it's right. How accurate is the speedo in your car ? Cos if you & I both sat at an indicated 60mph, I can absolutely guarentee that one of us will be going faster than the other.
My point is just because your marker says it's shooting 15bps - using official chips. What happens if you set you marker to the manufacturers settings and they are in fact wrong.
(Note testing using the Red site Chrono is not an acceptable industry test)

Would you be penalised if you were found to be firing over?

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by John C
How about if I am pulling over 15bps and the board slows it down to 15, thats gonna be an even 15.

Or if my board was designed to give me an uneven amount of assisted shots, very easy to do...

Because the assisted shots are still going to be at an exact interval, whether to speed up, or slow down. The software is very basic, all it does is open or close a circuit at a specific interval. Even if your board gives you an unspecified amount of extra shots, at uneven intervals, it is going to be detectable by the machine.

Another easy solution would be to slow-mo video the player pulling his/her trigger & then count the 'bangs' to coincide with each trigger pull. Actually, this is impractical in it's simplest sense, but it does highlight a possible route to a solution.

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by Dark Warrior
My point is just because your marker says it's shooting 15bps - using official chips. What happens if you set you marker to the manufacturers settings and they are in fact wrong.
(Note testing using the Red site Chrono is not an acceptable industry test)

Would you be penalised if you were found to be firing over?
I see your point, but yes, I think you should be penalised. If you elect not to use ramping software & attain more than 15bps, you are penaltied, so why should this be any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.