Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Recomended GYM workouts?

Ballantin

Jul 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
So I'm starting to play more often and I don't want to get limited by my physical condition.

I like to play as a mid or front player, and this involves to run, slide, dive... and constantly moving up and down, left and right of the bunker to cover as much of the field as you can.

I'm not the kind of person that loves gyms. In fact, I am subscribed to a local gym for almost a year, and I do not use to go... But I want to start doing it, just to get better results on the playing field (or at least get less tired, and less after play muscle pain).

Does any of you do specific workouts to get fit for paintball? Any advice on what kind of exercises to do?

Thanks!

hipjaw

pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk // Reading Entity // #22
Apr 8, 2011
Bristol
pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk
Work on your legs and core alot - obviously don't forget your arms (for the ladies) but in paintball terms you want to do explosive leg exercises to help increase your speed and you want to be able to squat in the same place for a long time if your holding a lane, behind say a small temple or small dorito without having to get down on your knees if you can avoid it - so some core stability exercises such as planking or any of the variations.

You don't want to go down to your knees as that means you can't react quickly to situations - if someone switches off your lane you want to be straight into that next bunker, if you're getting up off your knees you won't be quick enough.

M4rkm93

You stay classy!
Sep 13, 2012
Coventry
TO combat the after play muscle pain make sure you eat a high protein meal within 1 hour after playing. If you don't have the time for that then purchase some whey protein and take a shake with you to drink after you have finished. :)

Banil

Fe
Dec 29, 2007
If you want to develop speed and explosiveness. Look into plyometrics workouts. A couple of sessions a week will help you out. Just done a quick google search and found this. It maybe worth a read.

http://touch.artofmanliness.com/artofmanliness/#!/entry/beginners-guide-to-plyometrics,502ecf4d444f6789471f2f27

Running will obviously help your stamina. Mix your sessions up with interval sessions to build speed, and going out for a series of runs to build your stamina. Both runs will help you. If you are a beginner at running, they say don't increase your long run milage by more than 10% each week, as you will be prone to injury such as shin splints by doing too much too quickly. Although you maybe a marathon runner and the 10% rule may not apply to yourself.

$h4un

#21 Din Eidyn - In the 50 snake or Teabag ;)
Feb 16, 2010
Inverness/Edinburgh
Practice sprints, in paintball its not about being able to run a long distance at a steady pace, you need tomake fast moves over a short distance!
Set out a predertimed distance such as 50m, or if your on a street or in a park, two lamposts or trees distance. Sprint from your start mark untill your end distance then walk back. Repeat this 3-5 times before resting and repeat this process 2-3 times.

As for resistance training, I like to follow the westside barbell hybrid programme, two days are focused on strength work and two days are focused on speed and developing power

Reactions: Ballantin

Ballantin

Jul 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
Thanks a lot guys, I think I got a basic idea now of what to do.

Unfortunately running is not an option for me, got a ligament broken on the right knee, and damaged on the left one. But I think elliptic machine will be fine for me, as well as swimming.

I will take a good look at the plyometrics workouts and at the westside barbell hybrid program.

Again, thank you :D

Rock Ape

Dec 21, 2012
Oldbury, West Midlands
Weather your playing tournament or woods ball, cardio plays a big part in playing your game.
A good all over workout with weights and general cardio is good but I would recommend interval cardio training. You can do this on any cardio machine ie rower, cross trainer, bike, running machine etc........
I'll use the runner as an example. The way to do it is, start with a 5 warm up, then set the speed to a comfortable fast walking speed. It should be at a pace that is fast but not enough to make you jog but also be able to hold a conversation with someone without getting out of breath. Do this for 2 mins. After the 2 mins fast walk set the runner to a sprint for 1 min. Note: it must be a full sprint, not jogging! Not running! It must be a full sprint. After the 1 mins sprint, drop the speed back down to the fast walk. Keep doing this rotation of a ratio of 2 to 1, or what ever feels comfortable/work best for you. Keep doing this for about 20 to 30 mins on each cardio workout.

If you have any doubts about what I've put on this post, check out interval training on youtube. I find it works for me but it's not for everybody.

I hope this helps boys and girls :)

Tippertapp

Oct 20, 2013
Look into some ligament conditioning; sliding, leaning and sprinting whilst holding your marker, the last thing you need is a dicky hip or shoulder