Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Snap Shot

Dicorpo

Feb 17, 2006
I'm a n00bie and I'm lookin to be a front man, i'm real quick and quite spacially aware...apparently :cool: so i heard someone say the snap shot was imortant for the front man...what's a snap shot? How's it done? etc etc.

Thanks all

Dicorpo

Magic_8ball

$outh $ide
Sep 24, 2005
Probably Licking AL France...
Visit site
a snapshot is essentially the motion of coming out from behind your bunker, firing a shot(s) and getting back into cover in a very short space of time. Basically one movement, snap out, fire, and snap in again.

Snap shooting is used when you are being posted on by someone and you need to break their lockdown on you and dominate them instead. In the perfect world, you'll snap out, shoot, and hit the player posted on you. In reality what will happen a lot of the time is your paint simply makes him duck back into cover. This is still mission accomplished as you now can dominate him by posting on him/shooting his bunker to keep him locked.

Obviously this skill is important for front players as they occupy key spots on the field like the 50 yard bunkers and the snake, and as such attract a lot of attention from opponents, they need to break the lockdown created by them and eliminate them.

Tw!sted

M0.oL FuGgeR
Oct 25, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Just to add :):

Best way is to keep the bottom portion of your body still and snap out/in using your upper body; that way your not sticking a foot out to plant on before you can see them and/or shoot back.

Come out with your setup centred so by the time you can see you're also in a position to shoot; come out with your gun first you're presenting a hard surface over which a posted player will cream his pants over, before you can see him and shoot. Conversely (sp?) come out goggles first, all you're doing is presenting another hard surface on which to score sure hit, before you can shoot.

Posting, just to clarify is when one player gets the upper hand in an exchange of snapping, takes the oportunity and stays 'snapped out' of his bunker putting supression on your bunker, perhaps stopping to make it look like he's reloading, luring you out and gogging you.

Snapping is all about 1st shot accuracy, if you're snapping out/in on a guy posting on you but hitting a bunker 5 feet to the side of him he is going to stay there and not budge; on the other hand come out and hit his bunker 1st time every time, he's going to think about his posting; handing you the advantage.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
Tw!sted said:
Just to add :):

Best way is to keep the bottom portion of your body still and snap out/in using your upper body; that way your not sticking a foot out to plant on before you can see them and/or shoot back.

Come out with your setup centred so by the time you can see you're also in a position to shoot; come out with your gun first you're presenting a hard surface over which a posted player will cream his pants over, before you can see him and shoot. Conversely (sp?) come out goggles first, all you're doing is presenting another hard surface on which to score sure hit, before you can shoot.

Posting, just to clarify is when one player gets the upper hand in an exchange of snapping, takes the oportunity and stays 'snapped out' of his bunker putting supression on your bunker, perhaps stopping to make it look like he's reloading, luring you out and gogging you.

Snapping is all about 1st shot accuracy, if you're snapping out/in on a guy posting on you but hitting a bunker 5 feet to the side of him he is going to stay there and not budge; on the other hand come out and hit his bunker 1st time every time, he's going to think about his posting; handing you the advantage.
QFT.
Keep your gun up; just pop in & out of the barricade, moving only your upper body, legs slightly bent.

Actually don't listen to me :)
http://paintball.com/features/robbo.cfm

Magic_8ball

$outh $ide
Sep 24, 2005
Probably Licking AL France...
Visit site
Yeah thats right what the other 2 say, i just couldnt be ar$ed to go over what some1 else could explain a lot better than myself. One of the most importnt things to remember is to have a solid stance, flexed knees.

Then push ur hips over to the side ur gonna snap on, so ur weight is centered more on top of that leg and ur body is leaned into the deadground (safe area) behind your bunker, then snap out from the waist. Then use the muscles down the side of ur torso (deltoids?) to pull urself back in again. The reason for shifting ur hips out to the side of ur bunker is so that you are not over stretching these muscles and are allowing them to operate at their maximum strength so you can come in and out of ur bunker at maximum speed.

Hope that helps :D

Tw!sted

M0.oL FuGgeR
Oct 25, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
Lats (lattisimus dorsi :)) and obliques are running down the sides of your torso but you'll also be using abdominales and the muscles around your spine while rocking in and out, deltoids are situated on the back of your shoulders (posterior) and very tops of your arms (anterior).

1 other thing I forgot: Keep your centre of gravity over the bases of contact (feet or knees) with the ground, while leaning and snapping your weight should be distributed proportionately to your legs (so more on the leg on the side your snapping out towards) to keep your centre of gravity from leaving the confines of your bases of support. Bending your knees slightly (as mentioend above ;) Rosie) will lower your centre mass (closer to the ground = more stability = less weight you'll have to dedicate to your 'primary leg' to stop you overbalancing) thus enabling you to carry out a quick and effective snap without overbalancing and bringing you back into a position to carry the move out again, with fluidity, so 'recovery time' to steady yourself isn't needed.

Whilst kneeling with your feet tucked under your arse you have 3 bases of support but they are very narrow, widening your knees will provide a bigger overall base of support allowing you to leann further without overbalancing.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
i tend to keep the end of my barrel pointed at the target or where i last saw him even when i am back behind the bunker, that way i know exactly where he was last time he popped out, and exatly where my next ball is headed.

dont get into a rythem, an experienced player will pick up on your timing and have a ball in the air waiting for you.

but more importantly, if you know you are in a tight spot and you arnt going to win a gun battle with someone...dont let him take you easily...look for other targets, move if you can and call for help from your back players.

remember its a team game and if you are jammed in a tiny bunker taking fire from 3 players...thats 3 guys who arent shooting at your other players...stay in there, you are doing more by just being there, let your back guys shoot people while you take the heat and let the rest of your team move.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
Also if you can, keep swapping out each side of your barricade to snap at the same person; sometimes you may find them hanging out waiting for you, & miss you coming out the other side

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
Ello m8, im fairly newish to the paintball scene aswell, and im also a front man due to my height, speed, etc. Gotta say i love the position...

My biggest tip i can offer you is to lose the fear. Might sound a bit corny, or maybe a line from an action film but its true. When someone is posting on you and u need to lean out to get them it really scares you. Listening to their gun pounding on the other side of the barricade is a bit of a shock. If any paintballer tells you they were never a bit nervous when they could hear the paint smashing the other side of their barricade they are lieing!

The other thing is dont be affraid to pull the trigger before just before you snap out, yes you will probably hit your barricade BUT it means you are already sending paint down the barrel as you lean out, rather than trying to aim at them when u snap out. (Make sure u dont wipe yourself on the paint though otherwise marshals might think you've been shot)

Good luck.

Dicorpo

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks guys, really helpful, heh, I've been doing that all along, it's a natural response to try and break the supression fire, didn't know that it was called a snapshot though.

The tips about firing before i snap, moving only the upper body and centreing myself and weapon is very helpful, i dare say that it will help me bring on the splat in competitions to come.

Thanks a lot guys

Dicorpo OUT!!! :p