Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Starting again

Ricwin

At the cutting edge of cocking about
Dec 31, 2014
Southport, UK
After being a marshal at NVS I've decided to take up paintball again. I've not really participated for a couple of years but fancy getting back into it.
My only marker is the ever reliable A5 but it's mostly stock. Apart from a couple of barrels and a Python kit, only other modification is a JCS powertube. I'm in the process of stripping it down and cleaning everything, replace the o-rings and oil it up.
Really I just have a few questions;

What modifications and upgrades should I look at for the A5?
Apex2 or Flatline? I prefer not having to tilt my marker up, I much rather aim down the length of it: Is the Apex2 really worth it over a Flatline?
My current air tank is well out of test period, how likely are failures if the tank didnt get used much anyway? Would it be more worthwhile buying a new tank or send mine off for testing?

What I'm considering is a cyclone upgrade kit, sliding stock and if I can still get one, an old style Flatline (personally i think the A5 is too long for the new 'MP5' looking Flatline). Additionally, I'd be looking at a Tac Cap rather than the bulky hopper, much prefer to place my shots rather than spray 30 balls at one target.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Reactions: Spikerz

Caffeine

Jun 17, 2014
One modification I recommend to any cyclone feed user is Squishy Paddles. I've heard people complain about cyclone feeds occasionally breaking up paint inside them. I used to have an X7 Phenom and I got the squishy paddles along with it, shot several cases of paint through it and never once had a break inside the cyclone. So I guess I owe that to squishy paddles, you may aswell get them since they're reasonably cheap.
Example --> http://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/uf-interlocking-squishy-paddles
Other cyclone upgrades are fine but I think squishy paddles are the best :)

In terms of barrels, I really like the Apex for certain situations. The way I see it, you can use the apex to shoot straight like any regular barrel, curve shots, and shoot further like a flatline barrel. (while tilting upwards which CAN be a bit weird)
The flatline barrel only lets you shoot in the flatline way but whilst holding your marker straight. This sounds good in theory so long as you don't care about curving shots. My problem with the flatline barrel is that I feel like MAYBE the spin added to the paintballs were making the marker shoot less straight. Someone with better experience with the flatline may be able to confirm or deny this but when I had a go of someone's marker with a flatline it didn't seem to shoot as straight even though it shot further. Once again, it could just be me, but that's my thoughts. I would also say that the flatline barrel is generally more expensive than an apex barrel if that matters at all, if you find an old style flatline it'll probably be cheap.

If you have an expensive carbon fibre tank I'd say you should look into getting it tested, if it's just a £30-40 steel tank it's probably easiest to just get a new tank after so long. (saves you having to go through courier services and such to get it sent off to be tested) I think it's every 5 years (?) that a tank should be tested, if you're still within that range don't worry about it.

Tac Caps are cool, I'd say bring a regular sized hopper to the field too just in case you get fed up of limited shot play. If you're feeling super crafty you could try making a "BULP" loader. It's quite a chore so if you're not up to it, it's not the most amazing, essential-ist upgrade ever. Tried making one for my phenom, worked pretty well for the most part.
BULP Loader -->

With a tac cap, you should maybe look into buying a few of these and pouches to hold them
--> http://www.rap4uk.com/MILITARY-STYLE-30-ROUND-POD-p/fl-30.htm

Hope this helped :)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
For the cylinder if it had presure when packed away, and has any residual pressure left then it will be fine inside
Unless it's 100% depressurised (eg fill nipple rattles) then no damp can get in and damage over time. This is more of a scuba issue for obvious reasons)

If the outside looks ok and its been safe then it ought to be fine.
Depending on age the regulator, burst disks etc may need a service / changing (note these are not part of the test)

Viability and peace of mind on testing or replacing will depend on the cylinder and your pocket

4500psi fibres as standard have a 15year maximum life and a 5 year cycle. There can be variations
Typically around £150 new, £80 secondnhand

3000psi steelies / aluminiums have no maximum life, and have a 5 year cycle
Aluminium cylinders actually have a 10 year cycle in law. It is dependant on sites & their staff as to whether they accept a 6-10 year old without retesting
At about £30 new it's not usually financialy viable or worthwhile to retest

Tests can be as little as £15. But this would require handing over in person which can happen at events, eg if hpac are in attendance. Or to a Idest centre

Search the forum for the UKPSF HPA1 for air safety info and notes about different standards / types of cylinder

Also search the forum for Idest and there are links to their membership register. If there is not one local to you then there will probably be a dive shop which can arrange it with an Idest test centre

hamster778

Jan 12, 2006
Hampshire
I have a apex version 1, its ok, not sure how much better the v2 would be. the end looks smaller. But i was able to find a unused Flatline barrel which is always on the A5.