Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Starting University Team (HELP)

James Hails

Sep 29, 2014
I am planning to open a club and team at my university and was wondering if anyone could give advice on how to do so. I used to work as head marshal at a paintball sight so i'm not a complete novice but it would great to get some advice from you guys!

KP01

Apr 7, 2014
I would assume that your University will have some sort of Students Facebook page or NUS building/room/facility that you could use to forward your ideas and advertise the fact that you want to form a team. Another avenue to explore is the possibility of forming a Paintball Society (providing that their isn't one already established).

Natexxo

Aberdeen University Paintball Society (AUPS)
Dec 27, 2012
Aberdeen
The Student Paintballers group (Here!) is a great resource, and pools together all of the knowledge many of the commitees past a present from Uni societies have from their experiences. I am sure if you were to post in there everyone would be more than happy to help you out!

A quick word to the wise though, you want to make sure your health, safety and insurance is all locked down before you go anywhere. You want to make sure you have both the permission and support of your student's association before you start running any events. If you go on your SA's website or go in to their offices and have a chat I am sure they could point you in the right direction!

Reactions: James Hails

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
Before trying to officially set anything up, I'd say just try and get together a group of people from your uni playing on a regular basis as kind of an "unofficial" team/society first. And after a few months if you're all still together and commited then you can go forward to you're uni and say "We're all students, we play regulally, we'd like to start an official team" and then you can expand from there.

I think if you try and start from scratch you'd have a real uphill struggle so try and find people who already play and have their own kit first to start off with and then once it's established maybe try and bring in new players.

James Hails

Sep 29, 2014
thanks for the help guys, I already looked at my uni website for info and as long as i get 10 people interested we get a grant, as well as aid getting sponsorship. Also having worked at a paintball sight and knowing people from warehouses, getting cheap stuff shouldn't be to hard. I also worked with the owner of London Tigers who offered to do some training some time with the tigers at his sight so all is good so far. Might ask for further advice later on though guys :)

James Hails

Sep 29, 2014
I think it works more around the more people, the more money, but 10 people is the minimum for a society/club at my uni is all. And way ahead of you, joined student paintballers and started talking already

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
My society runs recball sessions every 4 weeks and from the pool of 35 members or so who have paid a membership that attend these, we then bring people forward to work with on a more competitive level. The key to our success is just simply the number of people we get through the door. Since you've probably missed freshers week you will need to work hard at getting your society name out there via emails to student groups, advertising on the uni student website, TVs etc. If there is any opportunity for societies to set up stalls somewhere on campus i would do this, for example outside a library or something, anywhere with high traffic to make people aware you exist.

As for the running of your society, just get people to make some sort of financial commitment so they will want to attend and get their moneys worth (i.e. a membership) and run regular days at a local site. You are looking at taking a large group booking so if you don't have a good relationship already with a site, then you do have some bargaining material.

After a few events, try and get the word out to these guys about the possibility of a competitive team. If you have 5+ members wanting to do this then approach the uni with your plans and try to explain what your aims are. If you have separate funding for sports teams then try to find out the requirements for this since sports funding is usually far more substantial than society funding, but also is harder to get. From here, just assess how much money you have as a club, and how much people can commit themselves to buying their own personal gear and just try to make it as cost effective as possible. For example at Glasgow members are to pay for their own personal items like masks, packs jerseys etc. but the uni provide the marker setups.

The hardest part is getting skint students to front the cash to buy the actual gear, so anything you can do to overcome this challenge will help out the most.

Reactions: James Hails

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
You've got some contact with chris on Facebook

It's not going to be as simple as getting the numbers to have funding.
Have less than 10 and they won't look at you, 10+ and you may get considered

When chris gets the chance he will be helping out. He has a role in student paintball