top 5

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by pestilence
Richard.
An intresting question that comes from ths, is at what point do you 'become' a good player.
To answer this question I am gonna quote a philosophical problem I came into contact with some years back, sounds grandiose and maybes too deep but you will get my point nonetheless...

If you go down to a pond at the right time of year and grab yerself a tadpole....now from then on, on a day to day basis, photograph it for the length of its life.

Hopefully you will have a bunch of pics where it starts off as a tadpole and dies as a frog.
Now the problem is this, we have quite a definite idea what a tadpole (novice , amateur) is, and we also have another quite definite idea as to what a frog (pro) is but you try and tell me which two pictures separate that distinction i.e., if we lay out the pics in a line from left to right so that the first pic (tadpole) is to the left and the last pic (frog) to the right, try and select a place on that line where the pic to the left is a tadpole and the pic to the right is a frog......the same problem is just as present when trying to determine the 'time' when you try and determine at exactly what point a player is deemed to be good.
Philosophy class over today Pesty-Bollocks :)
Peace

dougie

Clan Army
Mar 29, 2005
scotland
Visit site
Great thread,refreshed my mind from when i went to one of your seminars robbo,just starting to slowly sink in now though.:D ;)
we should have more of these kind of threads.thanks!!:p

pestilence

www.ppemporium.com
Jul 6, 2001
Cambs, England
WWW.PPEMPORIUM.CO.UK
If you go down to a pond at the right time of year and grab yerself a tadpole....now from then on, on a day to day basis, photograph it for the length of its life.
A strange analogy, but i like it!

If I may add me 2 pennies....
the analogy can be used as a nie example, but i think if you take it a little deeper it may help focus the point I'm trying top make.

OK so from the pictures you can show a journey from Tadpole to Pro, but if you take them as a whole (and I belive this would fit for anything that 'grows' in almost any sense) that at some point you are going to have growth spurts, or periods of radical change, and periods where not-alot-at-all changes.... maybe not one photograph, but certainly a seris of them may show what we are looking for?

So in this particular analogy, a frog is something that has a genetic trigger for it's changes, maybe coupled with enviromental forces that act upon it.

Now to assume that a Pro player has the same generic potential from any other (insert your joke here), it is these enviromental forces that trigger a change that I was alluding to.....

If you want to back to philosphy lessons, can it be determined if players can go through the same process of Archimedes? I personally can say I've had "Eureka" moments whilst playing (or shortly afterwards) does everyone/ nayone else? if it is a common experiance, then surley, can the trigger be defined?

I have no idea what they are... just wondered if anyone else had any idea's..... could it be something so simple as geographical placement that lets you flourish?? or something else......:confused:

and now my brain hurts..................:eek:

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pesty, what you need to appreciate is the following because this problem doesn't require any deep analysis whatsoever.
Learning is a process, some people learn quicker than others and the process isn't linear in that sometimes you will learn faster than at others.

Determining the time or phase when you can attract the description of ‘good’ is like chasing shadows mate, all that’s important here is the actual process itself and the end result (whenever that comes), anything in between is academic.

It is much more important to determine the nature of the process rather than any points on that process line because in essence, these points you are referring to are both subjective and quite vague.

pestilence

www.ppemporium.com
Jul 6, 2001
Cambs, England
WWW.PPEMPORIUM.CO.UK
Good point well put.

But surley learning about learning can only speed up the process and enhance the required result?

point in example - the Nexus snap shot - only by your subjective breakdown has it been easily explained and assimilted by the masses( thankyou!!). Granted some peeps could do it by latent talent - probably without realising they did it. but in a bare bones example, you could say that someone who has mastered this abiltiy through a delinated thought process than someone that hasn't been trained/ does it naturally?

surley then at that point it may cease to become subjective and vague if that can be applied to a spectrum of players?

(so everyone attend the Nexus trainign seminars!!)

L8rs
P.

:D

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
Alot of peoples problems are.........

holding a zone, i have watched too many times including my team , say you are to hold a zone towards the snake too many people get bored and look the other way which is a big mistake when you get shot in the face from the snake, you gotta be diciplined to stay on the snake too many ballers get paranoid that there is somethin on the otherside tryin to get them, if you have someone in the snake (or in wide bunker) of your team which should be lookin infield to cut the field you dont have to worry about someone shootin you in the side

Woody69

Sandbaggin' aint easy
Jul 8, 2005
SOMANC
planeteclipse.com
Load when you can, NOT when you have to!

I see to many players running out of bullets in a key situation, then panicing while trying to get a pod out of their pack at the wrong time................

Also, Players taking their eyes of the game when they tip their pod into their loader, C'mon guys it's not hard is it? Whats the matter you affraid your gonna' spill a few precious balls?

After all, if you Ain't got any bullets in your loader, who ya' gonna' shoot?

JoeJr

Feb 15, 2006
Birmingham
running out of bullets.....yeah nice one....its called paint....bullets kill people....paint doesn't...lol