Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Types of guns

Isnt that always the way... set up the gun to do silly bps full auto and you dont have any good paint.

In fact, that must be the worst paint in the history of paintball:

Those splats are definately very close to his barrel, I would suspect inside the very end of it.
But I'll play along and say they are breaking 1 inch outside of his barrel, lets say 15inches from where the ball lies in rest.

The tester is at an indoor field so lets say his gun is chronoing at max 270fps.

We know the cycles per second so we can work out how low a shot would need to be, for the next to hit it at 15" down the barrel.

I am going to assume instant acceleration. I know this isnt ideal but nobody has matematically modeled the acceleration of a paintball yet.

Anyway it cancels approximately because I am doing a comparison.

At time 0 the first ball is fired.

The next shot is fired 1/36th of a second after, or 0.0277777777 seconds after

This ball is going at 270fps, 3240inches/s

It hits 15 inches in 0.0046296296296296296296296296296296

So ball2 hits 15" in 0.004629 + 0.027(r)

Impact time is 0.03325 s

So lets work out how low the first ball would need to be, for them both to collide:

The time for this ball to hit 15 inches is 0.03325

15 inches in 0.03325 is 37.6fps

So the gun on the video shoots at between 38fps and 270fps??

In my experience cockers are not very concistent, but I always put that down to the lack of a proper ball detent and me using a loose barrel.

The least concistent gun I ever shot was a tricked up cocker, and that was going up and down 60fps. That was with a loose barrel and pretty bad paint (the same paint was about +-7 in my emag).

But the for one ball to come out at 38fps and the next to come out at 270fps... that is really REALLY bad.

Skeet

Platinum Member
Thats some great maths there matey...I had too much wine at dinner, so Im not about to try and argue it...all I can say, is tha you made one or two assumptions there...I have to make teh assumption, that the makers of the video, were telling the truth about A) The Cyclic rate and B) Not breaking any paint in the barrel. That said...I could be wrong about teh catching up bit, and possibley it is more likely that some paint is fracturing apon exiting the barrel.

Apparently, a barrel is required to be 6 inches long, or there abouts, to fully acelerate a paintball..so, would the ball not be slowing down by the time it leaves the barrel?

Do we know the rate of deceleration, in a given environment, of a paintball?

Are we working on the presumption, that the poorly fitting ball, is being struck by a well fitting ball..or the other way around?

Anyway...fact of the matter is... the gun was spitting out old crappy paint, at (apparently) 36 BPS, and not chopping it..regardless of if the paint was breaking in the barrel...also, the gun was being tested, not played with...so perhaps it was shooting at 300fps? Not that this would make any differnence to John C's calculations.

I find Cockers to be very consistent, and efficient...it really does make a difference if the gun has been set up correctly.

Nickyboy

Jan 6, 2005
Sunny Bournemouth
John c

I'm not gonna argue with the maths, it's a very complex situation your trying to rationalise.

How about setting up a model of how the biggest probablilty of balls roatations in the barrel and the effect it has on the velocity as it touches differ parts of the barrel. let us know how you get on with all the other calcualtions, if you think about whats happening properly.

Theres two balls colliding about a 1m out of the barrel which is pretty cool.

bulldog2k

I hope someone's going to explain why I'm being so dumb about this but how is thatr being fed at 36 bps?

PS Have owned Angels, and played with Cockers, Matrixs, funny-old-blowback-things-that-we-do-not-mention-the-name-of, and a few others. I now own an Ion as my primary marker. For 200 notes, I kind of think it doesn't matter if you don't think it IS your perfect gat. Try one and see what you think ;)

bulldog2k

Probably an Angry HALO
I would imagine it's mad as hell at being fed paint like that

Actually I just made myself laugh. I know that's really uncool but it happened and I'm sorry.

I shall now refrain from telling any more bad jokes (though the double entendre joke the other day was so funny that I told everyone I know and it STILL makes me piss myself but then the FP arrived ;))

You know what I like about your posts Skeet? You make me think. That's a good thing, isn't it? :)

Skeet

Platinum Member
Thats an interesting question...without a simple answer.

You see...by reading a post of mine..what do you think about?

If I were to suggest a way of doing something naughty, without getting caught...are you the type of person, who would give it a try?

Or...does reading my post, help you to formulate an opinion of your own, on the topic in question?

Think about it and let me know, what you think...

Is it good...or not?:D

bulldog2k

Well, in answer to your first point, if you tolf me to do something naughty, I'd probably seriously consider it - because Skeet is God - lots of posts, very knowledgable - helps lots of paintballers. But Skeetgod wouldn't tell me to do something naughty because Skeetgod is fair and just and we love and trust him.

But Skeetgod also poses questions and scenarios that make us question our faith and arrive at answers that make sense in our own heads. We don't know that Skeetgod would approve of these answers but we know that Skeetgod would want us to be happy in our faith and know the truth for ourselves - whatever that truth maybe...

:)