Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK National League Champions 2005

Well, the tension is building, only 52 hours to go and we'll know who will be crowned UK National League Champions for 2005.

The London Tigers currently lead the table by one point over Manchester Union with league scores standing at 50 and 49 respectively, although Manc Union do have better game average which could throw it their way if the teams tie on league points at the end of today. Birmingham Phoenix, the reigning champions are close on their heels with 47 points but will really have their work cut out for them if they want to keep that title and will be relying on the other Division 1 teams, especially Blackpool Inferno to have an exceptionally good day.

So far the consistency of the London Tigers is what's got them to the top with a solid performance at each round. Although the Manc Union has certainly gained a reputation for playing some exciting ball this season and has finished at the top of Division 1 more times than any other team, their unpredictability has resulted in a couple of rounds finishing 4th which has knocked their overall standing.

The Manc Union are going for the Double this year, being current PA Cup holders and looking to make history by being the first team to take both Cup and League titles in the same year. Being privy to inside information, I can tell you that they have one of most impressive line-ups in UK 'ball this weekend with a well balanced mixture of skill, experience and good looks ;) (I am of course referring to their Manager Wendy Jones on that latter point... )

For the London Tigers, already recognised as one of the UK's top international teams, being crowned National Champions would give affirmation to their status as the UK's top domestic team, not to mention that being able to stand up on sports TV and declare themselves National Champions will do no harm for their publicity machine and certainly not hurt their image when competing in the US.

So who do you think will take this all-important title this year?

Who do you think wants it the most?

If you're not playing or training this Sunday, get along to Ancaster for the final round of the PA National League... and cheer and scream till your lungs burst... remember, cheering & jeering is allowed and support for your favourite team can make all the difference on the day....

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hatts, u taking the piss or what ?
Now whilst I have every respect for the Tigers and what they have done for UK Paintball, I take offence at the slant of your post......now think about what you have written and by all means post this sorta cr@p on yer own site but you are taking the piss putting it on here...
On the International scene, if you mention the Tigers, most people have heard of them which is in stark contrast to you or your PA league, in fact, the Tigers validate you and not the other way around as you imply !!!!

Your league does not validate them at all, their participation in the NPPL and Millennium and Pro league do that well enough and all you are doing is trying to big up the PA and to be honest, it don't cut up much in the 'real' paintball world.....

hang on boy's... got a big one here... let's just reel it in...

Pete, you never fail to disappoint... if only the weather were as predictable... what a wonderful world it would be hey?

Still singing the same song as last year I see....

I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm very serious about what I and the PA does... the fact that for some reason you personally seem have a bug up your a$$ about the PA has, I must admit always baffled me, because I see no reason for your animosity... but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

Why is that you seem so happy for any other tournament series to peddle their wares on this forum but not the PA? What is your agenda exactly?

I was under the impression that this was a news and discussion forum for PGI... a paintball magazine that reports on news and events in the paintball world... from around the world...

I didn't realise it was the "Friends of Pete Robinson Society" forum.

My mistake obviously.

I'm not "trying" to big-up the PA. I don't need to. The PA is a domestic tournament series with teams from all over the UK and has a significant proportion of the top UK players taking part every month... the player rosters for most of the Div 1 teams read like a who's who of UK paintball...

It's a League, it's National, it has TV exposure, sponsorship and support from UK industry, dedicated referees, a player ID system that actually means something, a transfer and registration system like a "real" sport and the best and most dedicated UK players competing on a regular basis... What do I need to "big-up" exactly?

Interesting that I've never disputed the value of the NPPL, Millennium series or the international circuit generally... and our best teams competing in those series is only good for UK paintball... but pray tell, why are so against a Brit team holding a National title? What's your beef with that?

What exactly do you have against developing a strong UK scene as well?

and the "real" paintball world?... take some advice Pete and take a step outside into the "real" real world... I think you could really do with fresh air to clear away some of those cobwebs...

D

duffistuta

Just seen this...

Lettucecheesecake,

In my opinion it has little to do with Pete being grumpy, and more to do with the tone of what was posted here, which you could argue mocks the very real achievements of the top UK teams both of now and of yesteryear. A few things...

1. "The Manc Union are going for the Double this year, being current PA Cup holders and looking to make history by being the first team to take both Cup and League titles in the same year."

Looking to make history? Does that not seem just a little portentous to you? The UK Preds made history, Shockwave made history (being the only UK team to win a Millennium), and I think Nexus have too - but with the greatest respect to Manc Union, the above achievement is hardly history, any more than my local pub team winning the Unibond league is 'making history'.

2. "For the London Tigers, already recognised as one of the UK's top international teams, being crowned National Champions would give affirmation to their status as the UK's top domestic team."

Oh really? Considering that most of the UK's top teams do not play this league, I fail to see how. Nexus, Tigers and Shockwave are all battling it out in the Millennum and the NPPL, and how they do there will show who is the best British team, for whatever you think that title is or isn't worth.

3. "not to mention that being able to stand up on sports TV and declare themselves National Champions will do no harm for their publicity machine and certainly not hurt their image when competing in the US."

It will make no odds. Do you know, for example, who won the CFOA league? Cos CFOA events regularlly attract 100s of teams, and most of them would probably smash the majority of the PA teams into the ground, but no-one knows who they are. Why, because they are playing, with all due respect, a 'little' league...a little league that is phenomenally bigger than the PA. At the level of the NPPL, the only things that count are NPPL and PSP wins; even Millennium wins are a notch down as far as the US is concerned. Do you see where I'm going with this?

4. "So who do you think will take this all-important title this year?"

All-important to the PA perhaps, but I imagine the Tigers would swap that title for a guaranteed Top 4 position in a Millennium event, or a Sunday club place in the NPPL, without a second thought. I might be wrong here, but that is certainly my impression

I'm not trying to speak for Pete, but I think if I were in his position I would view the above statements fairly dimly.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Hatts
hang on boy's... got a big one here... let's just reel it in...

Pete, you never fail to disappoint... if only the weather were as predictable... what a wonderful world it would be hey?

Still singing the same song as last year I see....

I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm very serious about what I and the PA does... the fact that for some reason you personally seem have a bug up your a$$ about the PA has, I must admit always baffled me, because I see no reason for your animosity... but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it.

Your point?

Why is that you seem so happy for any other tournament series to peddle their wares on this forum but not the PA? What is your agenda exactly?

Hatts, I have no agenda outside of what I think is right and proper, at every opportunity you martyr yourself casting yourself as the victim. Don't try to deflect my points by implying I have an agenda that is somehow below the surface and sinister, I haven't, it's just that you are one smug, self grandifying jerk and your post offends not only me but also distorts what competitive paintball in the UK is really about.

I was under the impression that this was a news and discussion forum for PGI... a paintball magazine that reports on news and events in the paintball world... from around the world...

There's news and there's bull****, a lot of what you said is bull****, your league means nothing in the real world, it validates notihng apart from you..end of !!!

I didn't realise it was the "Friends of Pete Robinson Society" forum.

Cheap shot...... and ignorant....... and insulting !

My mistake obviously.

I'm not "trying" to big-up the PA. I don't need to. The PA is a domestic tournament series with teams from all over the UK and has a significant proportion of the top UK players taking part every month... the player rosters for most of the Div 1 teams read like a who's who of UK paintball...

It's a League, it's National, it has TV exposure, sponsorship and support from UK industry, dedicated referees, a player ID system that actually means something, a transfer and registration system like a "real" sport and the best and most dedicated UK players competing on a regular basis... What do I need to "big-up" exactly?

Interesting that I've never disputed the value of the NPPL, Millennium series or the international circuit generally... and our best teams competing in those series is only good for UK paintball... but pray tell, why are so against a Brit team holding a National title? What's your beef with that?

What exactly do you have against developing a strong UK scene as well?

and the "real" paintball world?... take some advice Pete and take a step outside into the "real" real world... I think you could really do with fresh air to clear away some of those cobwebs...

Let me just mention a few 'real' world issues here since you are into trying to classify which particular world I am in. Russell recently asked me two things; firstly, could we as a magazine (PGi) have PBUK as an insert :)
A real world request?

And also, could I personally try and help him get a particular company into supporting your league and your magazine.

I mean let's face it, you come to one of PGi's representatives and ask that your magazine be placed inside as an insert publication to ride on the back of our sales?????

And you also wanted me to get one of my friends in the industry to support you and your league and your publication and I'm the one who is supposed to not be living in the real world???

Now let me tell you one more thing, I don't like your self appointed martyrdom, I never have; I don't like your self appointed importance, I never have, and if you continue with it on here popping at me, I will make sure you never post on here again and you can confine your BS propaganda to your publication and website, is that understood?

ali t

gobo's goin' down...
just askin'

don't wanna step on anyones toes.....'cos i love 'ball...

.....but there must be a way of bringin' Britball up to some kinda similar level...i try and keep an eye out for all important info on the development of the sport but time doesnt allow it often.
i get the deal that the uk only has a small % of true players to that of say the states, but surely, as we see with the likes of nexus, tigers, shockwave, kellys etc there is that small group who are dedicated to pushin boundaries over here. Why can't we in the uk knuckle down, and become more mind-set/focused on becoming that 'level'...just dont like uk 'ball to be seen as 'lesser'.

Predators did make uk ball amazing...surely that can be seen again...

....end transmission:)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
just askin'

Originally posted by ali t
don't wanna step on anyones toes.....'cos i love 'ball...

.....but there must be a way of bringin' Britball up to some kinda similar level...i try and keep an eye out for all important info on the development of the sport but time doesnt allow it often.
i get the deal that the uk only has a small % of true players to that of say the states, but surely, as we see with the likes of nexus, tigers, shockwave, kellys etc there is that small group who are dedicated to pushin boundaries over here. Why can't we in the uk knuckle down, and become more mind-set/focused on becoming that 'level'...just dont like uk 'ball to be seen as 'lesser'.

Predators did make uk ball amazing...surely that can be seen again...

....end transmission:)
Ali, we can only bring up Brit ball to a level that is related to many things, such as talent base, financial resources and commitment, we (Nexus, Tigers and Shock) are doing the best we can with what we have available, trust me.
We have got a few other teams like Pheonix and co who are now beginning to come on line as top UK contenders but it will take some time before the UK is any significant force on the international scene.

Then only way this is going to change is by the the said teams playing in the Millennium circuit and refining their skills within that arena and no other circuit in Europe can provide that cauldron of competition or validation.