Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Upgrades for Ion

mushk1n

The Guitar hero!
May 7, 2007
London
Hi,

I'm quite new to paintballing, I've played quite a lot but not really cared about the technical side of it till now... I have recently bought an SP Ion new so everything is stock.

When shooting this gun I found it to be good but not as accurate or powerful as I thought it was going to be, I have now changed the settings to 44 Dwell and 0 ROF on ramping mode (not that I know what that means or anything :p)

So yes, my question is:

I only wanna spend roughly £50 - 100 on upgrading my ion, I have a halo hopper which I understand is only 12bps but I dont really need anymore than that... I just wanna upgrade my ion to perhaps make it a little more accurate when playing.

Any advice on what to spend money on to make a noticable upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

mush.

p.s. Links would be incredibly helpful as I dont really know where to buy from (online UK).

EDIT::: Also - do i need to mess with the velocity, I've just left it alone and not changed it so its set to whatever they normally come at.. think its around 130psi or something.

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
EDIT::: Also - do i need to mess with the velocity, I've just left it alone and not changed it so its set to whatever they normally come at.. think its around 130psi or something.
You do need to mess with your velocity. You MUST chrono your gun everything you play not only for the saftey aspect of it but also so you get the best FPS (feet per second) making your gun shoot further and be more accurate.

Accuracy upgrades - Barrel got for a Lucky Un1tek - www.luckyeurope.com (£30 new)

Upgraded feednecks are good to hold your loader in place and make it easy to take off (Q-lock £15)

OOPS (on/off purge system) makes taking your tank of a breeze and also allows you to adjust the lenght of oyur setup) £25 new

all that stuff you can get in the for sale section or put up a wanted post.

mushk1n

The Guitar hero!
May 7, 2007
London
awesome, cheers mate!

is there a way to chrono ur gun by looking at the guage on the gun or do i have to get one of the machines that do it??

if u can do it by the PSI guage what is a good pressure to be aiming for??

mushk1n

The Guitar hero!
May 7, 2007
London
you need a chrono to get the velocity right, your local paintball site should have one.

in terms of upgrades read the uber tech sticky at the top as it has a section on ion upgrades.
okey dokey... altho im like 30 odd miles away from my local site.. i will go check it out..

if i just left it as it was when i got it out of the box is it a good idea or will it be shooting too slow / too fast?

Thanks again.

arg1271

All the gear, no idea
Apr 6, 2006
Mooching round the 50, with the flag
It's really impossibloe to tell as each marker has it's own little quirks, that said as a ball park figure a stock ion would need an input pressure of 180psi (on the litle gauge) in order to be firing around the regulation 300fps.

Don't take the pressure above 200psi unless you want to start rebuilding it as this can cause damage to the hoses etc..

Either chronographing the marker at a site or buying your own is the only way to tell (chrony is about £60-£80 new £40 ish used)

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
okey dokey... altho im like 30 odd miles away from my local site.. i will go check it out..

if i just left it as it was when i got it out of the box is it a good idea or will it be shooting too slow / too fast?

Thanks again.

It depends on the paint to barrl match, weather and even if you chrono your marker, degass it and then gas it up again the chrono reading often changes.

mushk1n

The Guitar hero!
May 7, 2007
London
Thanks for all your help..

Now I have an even bigger problem.... After playing I noticed i still had a little gas left so I turned my Ion off and left it.. the next morning I had a look at the guage and noticed the air pressure was 0 and it wouldnt shoot. I thought it was just me and I didnt have any gas left in the previous day.

Today I have filled my air canister (whilst attached to my ion) with my new fill station... I went back to it after filling it to roughly 2800psi about an hour later and it has lowered itself to roughly 1800 - 2000psi. I refilled it this time detached from my ion and it didnt lose any air at all over about 1 hour... Then I placed another air tank to my Ion and listened down the barrel and u can hear an incredibly faint hissing type noise which is coming from the gun and is obviously air leaking out...

I have used this gun once and is only like 6 days old... can someone tell me what to do please? :D I have looked at the manual and it tells u all this fancy stuff about what could be a leak problem but I was wondering if someone had this problem b4 and knows exactly what it was?

Thanks again!

mush

arg1271

All the gear, no idea
Apr 6, 2006
Mooching round the 50, with the flag
Thanks for all your help..

Now I have an even bigger problem.... After playing I noticed i still had a little gas left so I turned my Ion off and left it.. the next morning I had a look at the guage and noticed the air pressure was 0 and it wouldnt shoot. I thought it was just me and I didnt have any gas left in the previous day.

Today I have filled my air canister (whilst attached to my ion) with my new fill station... I went back to it after filling it to roughly 2800psi about an hour later and it has lowered itself to roughly 1800 - 2000psi. I refilled it this time detached from my ion and it didnt lose any air at all over about 1 hour... Then I placed another air tank to my Ion and listened down the barrel and u can hear an incredibly faint hissing type noise which is coming from the gun and is obviously air leaking out...

I have used this gun once and is only like 6 days old... can someone tell me what to do please? :D I have looked at the manual and it tells u all this fancy stuff about what could be a leak problem but I was wondering if someone had this problem b4 and knows exactly what it was?

Thanks again!

mush
sounds like you'll need to take it apart and check the hoses, lube the parts up and check your macroline connections