Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Upgrading to an Axe?

Wulox

Jul 29, 2009
Messingham
Yeah, I see what you're saying!
The redline looks to cost about £200 on average, and that's a fair amount of paint I'd rather have than an OLED screen.
Once I have the gun set up properly, I doubt I'd need to change it very often anyway.
I suppose I'll have to wait and see once I have an axe whether I want to go and drop that much cash on an unessential upgrade.
From what I've seen a lot of people say on the forums, it appears most people prefer a stock axe with no upgrades.
Thanks all for the replies, now I just need to get me an axe! :D

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Yeah, I see what you're saying!
The redline looks to cost about £200 on average, and that's a fair amount of paint I'd rather have than an OLED screen.
Once I have the gun set up properly, I doubt I'd need to change it very often anyway.
I suppose I'll have to wait and see once I have an axe whether I want to go and drop that much cash on an unessential upgrade.
From what I've seen a lot of people say on the forums, it appears most people prefer a stock axe with no upgrades.
Thanks all for the replies, now I just need to get me an axe! :D
Yep, worst thing you can do is drop an "upgrade" into a working gun, and find out it doesnt work anymore. The funky looking delrin bolts, for example are SO fiddly to get working right, its just not worth it in my opinion. They are lighter, so the spring doesnt work the same, so need new spring, and also new settings.

Lots of people also "fine tune" their triggers as the first thing they do when getting a new gun, and fine tune it so much it doesnt fire.

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/empire-axe-self-help-thread.100212/

Wulox

Jul 29, 2009
Messingham
Thanks for that link, I don't think I would have ever come across it otherwise had you not put it here!
The videos were very informative and helpful, and I've saved it to my favourites! :)

Reactions: Bolter

Wulox

Jul 29, 2009
Messingham
Apologies for the double post, wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or just add this in here. :S

What are peoples thoughts on the vanguard creed, they look like nice little shooters but as far as i am aware vanguard have discontinued them?
Should I consider getting one of these or should I just stick with the axe?

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
AXE, Creeds were full of problems, and although you can get them to work, and there are working ones without problems, they are no longer, whereas the AXE will be improved and is current.

BUT, it is up to you, my opinion is just an opinion.

Apologies for the double post, wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or just add this in here. :S
no worries at all, you can do either!

Wulox

Jul 29, 2009
Messingham
Cheers for the quick reply!
Yeah, my gut is telling me to stick with the axe. Thanks for reinforcing it!
I was just caught by the seemingly low second hand values of the creed, but I guess you get what you pay for so I'd be better off just spending that little bit of extra cash for the axe!

WildWayz

The Moose God
Dec 19, 2004
Batley, Near Leeds
paintball.moose-shack.com
Bolter speaks the truth. I miss my Axe - would buy another one if I could.

I was always told "if the marker could have been released better, it would have"... however, I disagree with Bolter on after market bolts.
BUT only do it if you know what you are doing and how to reverse what you did.

When I had my Axe, I had a BOSS XSV Bolt in it - 150psi, 3ms dwell, backcap all the way in, then out 1.5 turns... was so smooth and quiet - shot great.

Redline/OLED - agree with Bolter again - keep it all simple. Once you set up your gun, you don't tend to change settings - yeah, maybe dwell in winter.. or just set it 1-2ms higher and never touch it no matter the time of year.

outkastmike

CUMBRIA
Jan 26, 2004
Cumbria
facebook.com
I have had a couple of Axe's and both time's i did the usual thing of sticking in a Boss bolt and spring kit etc...and to be honest neither time did i feel any difference from having them fitted,with my last axe i eventually ended up taking them out and putting the stock parts back in.

Reactions: Bolter

mrb2287

Platinum Member
May 1, 2010
Darlington
Theres a reason that Empire dont make any upgraded springs bolts etc. They don't need them.
More often than not its just a placebo effect. People believe the manufacturers say that so you dont buy off anyone else but the guns have been designed and built to operate in a certain way at a certain pressure. We have found in the past that these upgraded bolts throw the poppet timing out causing pressure/consistency/efficiency and ball break issues

phil-boy

UK Redskins
May 6, 2004
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
We ran 16 brand new Axes for the 2011 season. In this year we had zero problems. All guns were stock with the only changes that some of us had an aftermarket barrel system. Myself personally have had 6 different axes and I did change the bolts, but had issues and so reverted back to the stock one which was smooth as you like. I have a XSV as my spare to my Vanquish and this has the redline fitted. As others had said the redline itself does not do a great deal apart from being easier to set up the gun, but you can do this with the standard Optimus board or the slightly newer Shockwave board.

All in all, the Axe is a good gun for a good price. These will keep up with the higher end markers.

*mod edit*

Empire and Axe - FTW (y)