Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

US hydro-test on a UK bottle ok?

Chong

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2008
Thorpe, Surrey and The OC, CA
Hiya, I searched for this answer here but couldn't find one, so sorry if this question is redundant:

I have a DXS bottle I bought in the UK. If I get it hydro'ed in the US (by a reputable shop), is it still legal?

Thanks.

Chong

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2008
To use in the us it must be dot marked, to use in the uk it must be Pi marked

If dual marked it can be re-hydroed in either
Thanks for replying.
Ok, so to clarify. If it's just Pi marked ( I don't see DOT on the label anywhere), then if I get it tested in the US, the testing will not be legal for use in the UK. Yes?

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
It probably won't be re-tested in USA as it's not a DOT spec bottle. You'll be better off keeping it for UK or European use, and buy a specific DOT bottle for use in the States. UK sites won't allow DOT bottles to be used, so I can see a similar problem with organisers in the USA.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
If it is not DOT marked then it's not legal to use in the US.

An issue that could occur when back in the UK would be that if the person checking the cylinder noticed the testers markings didn't have an IDEST tester reference and you were not using a dual standard bottle it would look a bit dodgy to have rehydroed abroad.
To back yourself up th matching test certificate may be required

Chong

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2008
If it is not DOT marked then it's not legal to use in the US.

An issue that could occur when back in the UK would be that if the person checking the cylinder noticed the testers markings didn't have an IDEST tester reference and you were not using a dual standard bottle it would look a bit dodgy to have rehydroed abroad.
To back yourself up th matching test certificate may be required
Ah, ok that's what I wanted to know. I will only use the bottle in the UK, but it's only $30 to test in the US and £35 in the UK. So when I go home to CA, I wanted to have it tested to save some money. Guess that won't work. Thanks for the info.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
If you want to make a saving on hydro tests in the uk you can do so by checking in with HPAC at an event that they attend and collecting at a subsequent event, or asking your local dive shops.
The price can go down to a similar level to the US price depending on where you go, (and in the case of dive shops whether they want your custom - I paid once a good price for a fibre wrap then was later quoted more than double for aluminiums- either he didn't understand what size cylinder I was on about, or he did not want to do it)

A call to HPAC could confirm US tests are valid on UK cylinders, but as a 'bottle checker' I have an idea of how professionally or poorly some test markings are made on cylinders, but know how I can verify a testers ID in the UK
I don't know about verifying a US test result

An issue with taking your cylinder to the US is you need to remove the regulator to get it on a flight, which risks thread damage etc. (unless you have the right regulator which is compliant with air travel - old smart parts one I believe)
For some test locations in the uk you also need to pre remove the regulator, much easier for the user if the testers accept it with regulator on and they do it themselves with the right tools

Chong

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2008
Update: Just called HPAC and they said the DOT test in the US is not tested to the same pressure (2 vs 1.5?) so not valid in the UK. Case closed ;)
Thanks for all your help!