Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Wearing a GoPro

Style

Oct 26, 2011
Hello,

I have been paintballing for a number of years now and have recently bought a GoPro hero 3.

I am trying to decide the best place for me to wear the camera while playing paintball, so far I have used the head strap and worn it with my i4's immediately above the mask in the middle of my head.
This gives a good result sometimes but I often pull my marker up high and have the hopper block the view of the camera.
When shooting from behind some barricades which have slits the camera view is also blocked a bit as it is not eye level.

I have considered using the handle bar mount and attaching it to my marker which is good for when you are shooting at something but not when you are casually moving along and your marker is pointed at the ground.

So far I have only worn it on my head twice but am looking to get better all around footage or ideas for better mounting.

So how do people wear their GoPro's while paintballing and what have you found works best for positioning/mounting?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
(quote="tom")Next, my mounts:

tom;2839880 said:
My mounts:

I have a Contour and an AEE GoPro clone.

1) My primary setup on a Sly Annexe using the Contours adjustable mount.
These can be rotated through 360 degrees, and are just stuck on with the 3M pads.

2)Basic Contour mounts on E-Vents jewels.
Again stuck on with the 3M pads, but as only half of the pad is in contact with the jewels, and they are smooth I added some zip-ties. These don't affect the jewels securing the lens.
Simlar to Crunchy, but without extra glue

3)The AEE mounted on top of a JT Headshield
I'm not keen on this as I always feel enclosed in the Headhsheild, but it gives a different perspective with the added height.
The mount is stuck on top with the 3M pad, but as it was being used the morning after it was bought, and it would be subject to wobbling with the height 2 zip-ties were also used on the mount.

[/quote]

Style

Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for the info.
As I already own a GoPro I am not looking to get another type of camera for recording.
The GoPro unfortunately isn't really the right shape for sticking out the side of my head as some of the info from above suggests however have people had good results from wearing a camera in this position or does cover end up blocking the shot more often than not?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
On the side of your head it will be obstructed by cover at some point
If you are right handed and mount to your right then you get the hopper, on your left you get trees or bunkers (if handed then vice versa)
Regarding hopper shots this can vary due to the precise mount position and your shooting position
(With the wide angle lenses on action cameras this usually means the hopper obstructs the view or appears in the corner)
The top or centre of your head could still get the hopper in view but will have more of a chance of clearing trees and bunkers

With the go pro it does become more bulky due to the shape compared to bullet cameras, but with the 3 it's smaller than the original, and it's still possible to side mount, just a little awkward as there is nothing out of the side of the camera

As you said earlier barrel mounts mean a lot of lost footage when you discover how often it's not pointing at anything

Style

Oct 26, 2011
It sound like my only real choice then is to sort out a better mounting position on the top of my head (perhaps have it overhang my lens a little to be more in line with my vision)

Does anyone have much experience with mounting a GoPro to a Dye i4?

Joe Savage

Nov 25, 2013
I do, I have the headstrap mount yet I find it bounces about and sometimes fall down completely but I did find a "browmount" from jazstands which is for Dye i4's which look intriguing...

Monkeyboi

was ROSSTHEGUYVER
Nov 18, 2009
www.youtube.com
Hi mate easiest and best way ive found is buy the camera tripod mount and get a bolt thats the same thread as the hole in it and you only have to push the bolt through/between air vents and its about as close to ya mask as you will get and bad for like £5-£6 on ebay

Monkeyboi

was ROSSTHEGUYVER
Nov 18, 2009
www.youtube.com
And due to the way we move around barriers and such there NO good place to mount it no matter what do there will always be a problem some how ...