Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What air bottle should I be getting?

staffy96

Dec 5, 2012
Surrey
Hi, I'm just starting to get into paintball properly, I just bought myself an etek4 LT, and I'm wondering what air bottle would be best/ most efficient? I know I want a 1.1l bottle and 4500psi, but apart from that...

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
The main difference between bottles is the capacity (0.7-0.8L, 1.1L or 1.5L), the material it's made out of and the exterior size of the bottle. After that it's all preference about regulator length and bottle length. Most people will recommend a fibre wrap 1.1L bottle to start with.
Efficiency has very little to do with the bottle, it is mostly down to the marker design and the settings you're using.

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/pmi-evil-1-1-bottle-4-sale.153096/
This one would do you fine, it's a sensible price and still has plenty of test left. The damage to the regulator is negligible, I have used a regulator with a similar dent for 3 years.

http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/0-7l-fibre-bottle-with-myth-reg.149118/
If you wanted to run a lighter setup, this one would be fine too, but some people would find the regulator too short.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
To be honest, first have a rethink on why you want 1.1/4500

You will get more from a fill, but a standard 3000psi steel/aluminum cylinder will do in many cases

Are you going to have access to 4500psi fills? If not then you still only get 3000psi and don't get the benefit other than a slightly larger size, so a little more air at 3000psi

You are looking at an efficient marker, so unless you are out all day, not getting eliminated and ripping paint your air will last between fills at 3000psi
This means you can buy new at around £30

A new fibre 4500 cylinder will set you back around £150, with a max 15 year life, and this ties you to getting retests every 5 years. So it costs £200 over 15 years.
Buy secondhand as above and you can get a bargain, but do check the remaining life and next test date etc to see how the deal works out accross the rest of its life

If you have ample cash then go 4500, if you want spare money for paint, petrol etc then go 3000psi to start

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
4500 tanks are a lot more comfortable to use because they are all rounded on the bottom, sits against the shoulder a lot nicer. biggest reason i would say go straight to 4500 though is that while you may be content getting 3000 fills wherever you are, if you venture somewhere else that offers even 3500-4000 fills you won't be able to take advantage of this. and believe me if you've got a 1.1 tank, the difference in the number of shots you get between 3000 and 4000psi is significant.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
We will agree to disagree.
Note I did bring funds into the matter, over the years I have been playing and on the forums I have seen numerous players coming in and splashing out on marker, hopper, goggles and fibre cylinders then selling up or complaining about the cost of playing because they can't afford a case of paint, and how dare sites charge over £15 for a case they buy in bulk
The OP has not said any of that but I give my opinion on air for someone starting out

If the OP is flush then there is no worry about splashing out and buying all the gear, I note that he is on the forum with an Etek going for a rotor.

We have not asked where or what style he plays

£ wise a 3000 cylinder always beats a fibre cylinder
£30 over 5 years and disposing is £6 per year
£150 plus 2 tests is £200 over 15 years, or £13 per year

If you don't get 4500 fills then it is just a bigger cylinder, (assuming its not one of the variety of shapes and sizes)
If you get convenient access to fills and never empty the cylinder, or don't carry the paint then the extra space is wasted

There is a difference between 3000 and 4500 capacities, which can be compared with the link below for efficient and air hungry markers
Http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/paintballshots.asp

A 1.1l 4500 (68ci) at 3000psi on an efficient marker will do over 800 shots
Go up to 4500 and get over 1200 shots
But are you going to be more effective carrying 8 pots as opposed to 5?

I'm not totally dissing fibre cylinders, I currently have 3 active cylinders, normal 68ci 4500, a stubby 4500 and a 13ci 3000. I also have in the cupboard 2 or 3 out of date standard 3000s and numerous out of date co2s of various sizes
I have used all cylinders on most of my markers, including pistol, etek and x7
It's interesting to use a 13ci on an x7 with a 3 inch barrel - not exactly efficient but it shot enough paint and allowed me to carry one pod, be light and mobile

Fibre cylinders do neatly tuck in and roll, as opposed to aluminium / steel flat bottomed cylinders - provided you use it that way

Of the two cheaper second hand cylinders offered out, one has 8 years life with a probable cost of £110 (excluding test postage if required) which is £13.75 per year (more expensive then a new one at £13.33 per year, and it has a damaged regulator)

The other has a similar timeframe but is £10 less so averages £12.50 per year so does work out a little cheaper then new (though fees are to be added for PayPal)

(Though I have not taken into account whether any are branded, have a quicker refresh, an adjustable regulator etc)

The OP may as well buy new, get the full benefit of cylinder life, have a warranty and peace of mind the cylinder has not been battered
If flush then a fibre, if not so flush then 3000psi
It would not be their worst ever purchase