Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What are the odds?

DarWood

Dagenham Swarm
Nov 30, 2002
Personally anything is possible. If the russians can do it! why not?
Still if you have spot on accuracy you could move and shoot the guy/girl as you move, before you reach the stream, which will stop the stream and voila, no barrier!! :D :p

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
Ok now to take things to the extreme...

As Flash and QP both said, it's a matter of timing, with the numbers given (12, 14, 16 bps) you have a specific number of times per second to travel through the paint stream (12,14,16) at the minimum speed required (6,7,8 metres per second).

This means you've gotta be at that speed passing through the stream of paint or you are toast. These speeds are within the realm of possibility for most people, top sprinters are amazing NOT because they can run at 10 metres per second (hell I can do that) but because they do it for 9-10 seconds. In this case you only need to do it for 1/2 a metre or so. As for accelerating, well you'll need a bit of room for that, but as the human body is faster from a standing start than most cars you've got a fighting chance.

Ok so we are in cloud-cuckoo land already, so lets play with the numbers a little more.

You can make it through the paint stream slightly more easily by making sure you run at 90 degrees to the paint. this way you only present your 50cm width (or whatever) to the paint. Any angle on your move will make you appear significantly larger (that's right love, I was standing at an angle to the camera, that's why I look like I'm overweight and balding...ahem).

You could make an assessment of whereabouts the paint is coming in, high or low? Your head is much smaller than your torso and your legs (although each one would pass through the stream at different times) are similarly smaller targets. So if you have a high or low incoming paint stream then you might be able to heap chance on your side a bit.

Ok we said taking things to the extreme, lets have a go. Cricketers by training and natural skill react to balls being delivered in fractions of a second.

22 yard cricket pitch (wicket to wicket) is 20.11 metres,
and a top bowler can deliver a ball at 90 mph which is 144.8 kph or 40.2 metres per second.

Soooo, if the batsman reacts to the ball at about 2/3 of the pitch's distance away (the first 1/3 being used to sight the ball) then he reacts in approximately 0.33 or 1/3 of a second.

Right, so if we ignore (proper physics now) the acceleration time required, and we assume that 'ballers are experienced and well practiced folks who can react at least as fast as cricketers. Then we have a limit of 3 bps that the experienced baller can run through and not get hit. (timing aside)

But the timing is the problem, so if we get our imaginary baller to train his (or her!) sprint starts and they get into top athletic shape they can probably hit 10-12 metres per second as they pass the paint stream. So if our 'baller recognises a high stream and decides to minimise their target, running through the stream at head height, (ignoring probs of crouching slowing you down, of course) bringing effective target to 25cm. This basically halves the speed needed to get through the paint, or doubles the number of 'windows' to pass through the paint making it 'easier' to get through without a mark on you.

So if we can do 12 m/s passing the paint at head high then we can cover the 25 cm in 1/48 or 0.0208 seconds.
If we could time it perfectly then we could just slip between the balls in a stream of paint fired at 48 bps.

Of course we can't but it IS 4 times easier to to the same thing with balls fired at you at 12 bps than was given in the 1st example in this thread.

Ok so we've ignored the occasional detail like reaction timing and the such-like but details just complicate things anyway.

So, steroids and training to crawl at upwards of 10m/s is on my winter schedule.

*chuckle*

Chimp

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
I usually get eliminated about 1 or 2% of the time when running through bullets. The formula is simple.

1. Atain maximum possible velocity (use of steroids is legal for paintball)

2. Run through Bullets

3. Get to Bunker

4. Wipe.

garycarrot

Apr 9, 2002
Durham, North East England
Visit site
I used to like maths at school....that was a long time ago.

Just a thought, As the guy making the run, you do not know when the paint was first fired at you. If you do not know when it was started, you can not time your run, to miss the balls.

So it doesnt matter how fast you are, just how lucky!!!

And if you start before they fire at you, you should get there all the time.LOL