Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What is there to be learned from playing Call of Duty and other 1st person shooters?

~Solo~

Sep 13, 2007
Kent
I suspect that like me, some of you will have received a copy of Black Ops or similar for Chrimbo and find it a slightly warmer and cheaper option than braving our unpredictable weather out on the field at the moment. The question is; does playing 1st person shooters actually offer something of a 'training environment' for paintball on the field (I'm thinking woods rather than tourney here).

When at a walk-on I often hear some of the younger players referring to the different fields as 'maps' so I wonder whether the hours spent in front of the screen can influence the style of play on the field.

From my own experience I would say that 'Team Deathmatch' type games provide little in the way of teamwork and are more about moving quickly and bravely combined with quick reactions. The lack of peripherial vision is obviously a major hinderance and I suspect drives some of the speed of play and the constant forwards movement. I've not played the capture the flag or more stragetic games online yet - does anyone? Does being in a clan using voip comms create more of a teamwork based style of play or is it just a good way of laughing about noobs?

I suppose we can extend the question to whether Paintball video games help real-life Tourney performance too.

Over to you...

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Some may help a little with game planning, or cover fire+move tactics of making ground

While playing campaign style you are up against the games AI, and it doesn't usually take me long to suss the way a programme 'thinks' and second guess many scenarios. Online play opens up a lot more possibilities, and makes it harder to predict game play. I always enjoyed Brothers in Arms - Hells Highway for it's squad based, cover & move tactical approach. But like so many FPS campaigns it still locks you into a set path through the story. I'm hoping they will release a follow up sometime soon.

Ultimately theres no real substitute for getting out there and shooting paint

basktm

Dec 14, 2010
somerset
As a noob baller but vet FPS or TPS (third person shooter)

My first outing in the real paintball field, COD tought me nothing apart from stick your head out or run in like a noob and you get hit, quite a few times :D

One ps3 game i would say really does or has helped me is socom, which is a TPS, tactical, team based game and a lot slower and more importantly no respawn, like balling, demands massive teamwork and comms.

I found that i stayed a live longer and also helped the team more when played in this style.

So yes i think gaming will and does help, but the games need to be non re-spawn, so when you dead, you stay dead till the next round. :).

Also a little question from a noob, can headsets and comms be used in paintball, thinking of scenerio or woodsball, as dont see the need in past paced tourny's, just a question really ??

basktm

Dec 14, 2010
somerset
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Many of the organised scenario only teams use radio sets. Their used to be a set of goggles that had a headset adaptor.
That would be great, i am/used to train bikers so i have 4 sets of radios, and i allways used VOX throat mics, (army style things) so sorted :thumb:

Punter337

Domination
Nov 5, 2010
Norfolk
Playing COD is nothing like the adrenaline you get when the marshal call ten seconds nothing can prepare you or make you less nervous when you have 10 bps heading for you the only way i can see that you just practice however this is the speedball side of things if your into woodsball then its more stealthy and could possible teach you a few things anyways that's my 2p's worth....:D

Roquey

Nov 3, 2008
Honestly? i cant see alot/if anything atall helping from playing games as to being on a field. Even the Paintball ones (i havnt seen GH2).

The best thing you can do is just go out and get field time against real players playing real games :)

Blue Beanie

I <3 Summer!!!!!
Dec 27, 2009
Devon
Coming into this from a competitive and clan gaming point of view I believe there is very little to learn even though I have played with/ against highly ranked and respected teams eg optic, fear etc. I to play at this level teamwork and cons is peak as all the players are so good, this has helped me in balling as cons and teamwork are useful and quite necessary aswell. The only other things I've learnt is: controlling spawns (scenario), learning fields, camping not very good, and running from the start into them doesn't help noone and you'll die.

campbell08

Nov 2, 2008
10 Minutes from guildford
In my view it will not help you atall, some of the most important things in paintball are form, learning the field and building up the courage to make those big moves. sitting infront of the telly with your mic on shouting abuse at yanks won't help you :p