Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
i am an Atheist
something happened to me once and i lost faith at the age of 9
dont ask what!
I'm not sure how your post should be responded to because it conjours up events that are not really appropriate for a public website.
Perhaps your post is best left unquestioned even though your last line provokes exactly the opposite response.

Maleficus

RPGA Herald
Mar 8, 2009
Endiburg (from april 5th )
I'm not sure how your post should be responded to because it conjours up events that are not really appropriate for a public website.
Perhaps your post is best left unquestioned even though your last line provokes exactly the opposite response.
someone could ask why a 17 year old kid has lost faith to god
i am not provoking anyone to question me
i am just answering to what the topic says;
what is your religion/faith?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
someone could ask why a 17 year old kid has lost faith to god
i am not provoking anyone to question me
i am just answering to what the topic says;
what is your religion/faith?
....then perhaps a more appropriate response may have been 'none' ... and left it at that mate.
I think this is one answer, we won't really want qualifying.

Kat

I'm a love Albatross.
Aug 18, 2006
Carlisle/ Leeds
I'd like to hear some educated opinions on non-religious faith/belief/spirituality, seeing as most people on here seem to reject it based on the myriad faults of religion. "Science" has been wrong countless times, caused millions of deaths, and yet its principles are still recognised. Science is as close to a religion as you'll get (faith in progress!). I think there's a bias here. I'm not arguing for religion, I don't follow that particular path personally, but I think a lot of people tar faith/belief/spirituality with religion's brush simply out of faith in another societal norm.
But Science continuously evolves, improves and gives me more and more reasons to believe in it, religion seems to give me less and less.

Science may have caused death but not first hand. Science only has imperfections because humans do...or at least human knowledge does.

Katxx

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
You catagorise science as 'just another way' of searching for the the truth, I am saying it is the only way because all the rest (religions) are all bullsh!t because they all require huge leaps of faith that inevitably demand of the follower, a dereliction of commonsense and reason.
I categorised science as "just another way of making sense of the world". What I'm suggesting is that there is no objective truth to be found (which, as Kat astutely observes, is due to limits of human conciousness), only subjective interpretations. Anyway, my intention wasn't to start a debate about science so much as to stimulate discussion of the original topic, sans religion bashing, as those views are pretty commonly held and boring to hear repeated over and over.

I categorised science as "just another way of making sense of the world". What I'm suggesting is that there is no objective truth to be found (which, as Kat astutely observes, is due to limits of human conciousness), only subjective interpretations. Anyway, my intention wasn't to start a debate about science so much as to stimulate discussion of the original topic, sans religion bashing, as those views are pretty commonly held and boring to hear repeated over and over.

I categorised mugging old ladies in a previous post as a way of making money.
So using your logic its equal to say, being a doctor, because the goal is the same.

Science and religion are not competing theories, they are two different ways of thinking. Its not the factual content, or the goals that differentiate them. Its how the goals are pursued.
Science is a thought process of complete open mindedness.

Science by its nature is self correcting. Its our best guess based on current knowledge.
If somebody came up with proof of a god, then god would be a part of science.

With religion, you follow the theory set in the book. Its not there to be questioned, it never changes.

I dont think anybody is religion bashing.
Its just when you put an objective argument relating to science and religion, religion always falls on its face.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Okay okay, I'll drop the commentary on science. All I ever wanted from this thread was some discussion that looked outside the box. All the talk about science vs. religion is stale. Why argue against the existing ideas about god/higher powers? Why not come up with your own? If there is a god, I'm sure we're all wrong about him/her/it anyway so why tear apart one idea when you can just come up with your own? I don't care whether you like science or jesus or buddha or whatever, frankly I was just bored of reading about creationism/suicide bombers/religious wars/etc. and thought it'd be interesting to think about the topic from a different angle. Clearly everyone's made up their minds on the matter though.

Okay okay, I'll drop the commentary on science. All I ever wanted from this thread was some discussion that looked outside the box. All the talk about science vs. religion is stale. Why argue against the existing ideas about god/higher powers? Why not come up with your own? If there is a god, I'm sure we're all wrong about him/her/it anyway so why tear apart one idea when you can just come up with your own? I don't care whether you like science or jesus or buddha or whatever, frankly I was just bored of reading about creationism/suicide bombers/religious wars/etc. and thought it'd be interesting to think about the topic from a different angle. Clearly everyone's made up their minds on the matter though.
Real Science welcomes challenge and debate so there is no need to drop it. So long as we arent going round in circles. :D

Anyway I only really have contempt for organised religion.

Coming up with your own ideas and thoughts for the meaning of life is great by me.
But if anyone wants me to subscribe to them, im afraid I need proof.

I get my spirituality fix from seeing the hubble deep field images or hearing about the unlikely processes involved in how we came to be.

Heres something a little more out of the box that is an interesting idea to me: http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/Miscellania/Life and Negentroy.html

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com

Well Dev, instead of bemoaning the lack of intelligent comment on a subject you think isn't stale, how about you give us some intelligent comment on what you wanna talk about.

And I do apologize for boring you and being so predictable in my commentary, had I known you were so well read and intuitive, I might have written a separate post just to entertain you.

You say you wanna read some 'out of the box' angles, well, you kick us off mate and I'll tell ya what I think.