Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

When are we going to see some paintball footage with Google Glass?

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
The first batch started shipping last week to the public.

Any of you lucky enough to fork out the bargain price of $1500 in order to get a pair? :D

Promo video for those who haven't seen it

Specs

Unboxing

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
don't know how i've not even heard of this yet, but would it fit inside a mask comfortably? also a question of durability because I'd hate for somebody to have a funky dive where they smack themselves in the face with their tank (dont it before) and there goes $1500 of shrapnel straight in to your eyeball!

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
You can wear normal glasses in a number of styles of goggle, and people play with glasses every day.

There's some good photos in this article.

It looks like you could probably wear them under certain goggles relatively comfortably. You don't actually have to wear the 'glasses' part either, you can just wear the frames like in this picture.

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
I'd like to see what the guys at one4one.tv or Derder would come up with if they had a pair, or any of the good pball video production teams.

Last edited:

matj

Mar 22, 2013
You can wear normal glasses in a number of styles of goggle, and people play with glasses every day.

There's some good photos in this article.

It looks like you could probably wear them under certain goggles relatively comfortably. You don't actually have to wear the 'glasses' part either, you can just wear the frames like in this picture.
True but the glass is usually supported by a frame around the outside or the rimless versions are reinforced and are rather hard wearing.

It's all dependent on the glass used for them... that's my only concern. I can see them fitting inside goggles no problem (I wear glasses but choose not to for PB) but its how strong the actual glass is that concerns me. They are curved as well which doesn't inspire much confidence.

I do think the best option would be without the glass...I have to agree with that.

bojjob

#19 Blackout
Feb 22, 2012
Sussex
I sometimes wear glasses playing (usually contacts though). I obviously have several pairs of glasses, yet only one fits under any of mask I have tried. Most are too wide (so the mask lens forces them to dig into your face) or are too far forward (again forcing them into your face). So with all but one pair of my glasses the lens pushes them into my face, making it extremely uncomfortable. They also have a tendency to scratch the inside of your lens.

These above not only seem wider than all my pairs of glasses, but stick out further too. You will find they have the same issues I encountered, possibly to a worse extent as well :/

IMO I don't see the point/application to paintball... They will be uncomfortable, damaging to your lens and risking over a thousand pounds needlessly. Why not utilise the fact you have to wear a mask in paintball anyway and buy a miniature action cam to put on your helmet?
And for anyone that is thinking here "But they add extra area on the outside of your mask to get shot." well you are right. So get a motorcycle helmet cam... They go inside the lens, much like glass, but cost a fraction of the price.

Besides, it only shoots 720p video and without any high fps feature for4 slowmo shots.

In conclusion:
Not worth the price. Buy a decent motorbike helmet cam. Half the price, twice the video quality.

But hey, that's all just my opinion :)

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I think it would go without saying that there is no point wearing the glass fitted, and it would only be the actual unit that would be worn. but as mentioned if you are using it purely for recording then it's something that doesn't fit the job well and is super expensive to boot.

Don't forget that the filming feature is just one part of this unit, I noticed on the ad it was doing things like navigation, taking notes and whatever else. So if you want a fancy camera, you're looking at the wrong product. this is a lot more than just a camera.

Reactions: H

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
I don't think I am looking at the wrong product because it provides a camera angle that no other camera currently provides (that I know of anyway)

Pricing and extra features aside, I still think the concept of getting footage from a point of view of the game never recorded has potential for some cool videos in the hands of the right people.The footage may not be incredible to begin with if you want slow motion, but I can only imagine the quality will increase with each new generation. Some of the regular footage already recorded does look pretty good though at 720p, it's pretty clear and the audio quality is good.

People spend so much time trying to mount (relatively) big cameras to the outside of goggles adding a huge target. The increased target from this pushing the side of your mask out slightly would probably be negligible in comparison, this would make it more suited towards being worn in a game worth recording instead of just a fun match where you don't care if you get clipped on the camera.

Alot of people have tried mounting cameras to the end barrel or on a feedneck, which can be cool, but again it adds much more of a target and you only see what the gun sees, you don't see what the player sees, where he's looking or glancing while shooting. This could make it more useful for recording training or educational videos from a first person perspective.

Perhaps they can be modded further, removing the frames and mounting the device directly into the shell of the goggles, inside on the top of the lense. This would reduce the impact it has in pushing them out, perhaps negating it completely and providing no extra surface are for the player to be shot.

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Thinking about the extra features though, imagine some of the fun you could have with the headsup display.

Have a live update of the field with players marked out. Info could be provided by team mates in the pit :p

That could be even more fun in large scenario games.

In tournaments you could have the kill count projected live right in front of you :D

Last edited:

strafingrun

Apr 2, 2010
chorley
can anyone recommend a mask that provides really good eye clearance / lots of space in the frames for this sort of thing?
i bought some cheap n tacky video glasses at the start of the year (to get a hud / gun cam feed sort of thing going on) but haven't got round to trying to stuff one of the displays in a mask yet.
looking at my vents i suspect it could get a little pokey!

Last edited: