The Home Of European Paintball

Where is our sport heading ?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
duffistuta said:
No, but we'll probably see 70 of em at Campaign and I would extrapolate from there personally, the same as I look at the number of serious US teams teams and go from there...if you can point me in a better direction then please do, cos no-one else has yet and I've tried.
We already bear witness to the cultural differences between both country's in terms of Paintball evolution and therefore I'm not sure you can extrapolate with any degree of accuracy.
I can only go on what I have been told, and I was told by people who distribute product to Germany and by some German guys whose word I can trust.
Still, they could all be mistaken or maybe have even massaged the figures (tho I have no idea why they would) but I will default to trusting them at their word.
Your position is based upon the notion that the German Paintball demographic is the same as our rental demographic and I'm suggesting it's fundamentally different.

Take a quick step outside our adopted positions and just think about the two formats, woodland and sup 'Air, and after you have considered the two formats of play; and if you then try and tell me that woodland ball is as attractive to play as Sup 'Air then I'm gonna believe a custard filled donut is gonna exist for more than one nanosecond on Piper's plate .... it ain't happenin' !

D

duffistuta

No, I'm just trying to work out whether it is worth getting PGi translated into German and put on the newsstand out there.

As far as I can see, it ain't. I think people want to shoot each other, so they play Paintball - if the only Paintball they can play is on sup'air fields or bail fields or woods or whatever, they will still play it. I still think the percentile translation to becoming a tournament player will be the same.

The whole 'playing rambo' bit is misleading - I think the number of people who want to play rambo and then go onto be scenario gamers/big game players is not far off the number of people who want to become tournament players, and go in that direction. The vast majority don't want to play rambo or become 'Paintballers' - they want to go out, have a laugh and shoot their mates. And I think the numbers translating into teams from germany, from what I can see, bear this out.

Aside from that, if you are talking about the relative attractiveness of formats, I think if you took 100 blokes aged 15 - 25, showed em a sup'air field and a woodland field, and said 'where do you want to play', you'd probably get a roughly 50/50 split.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
duffistuta said:
No, I'm just trying to work out whether it is worth getting PGi translated into German and put on the newsstand out there.

As far as I can see, it ain't. I think people want to shoot each other, so they play Paintball - if the only Paintball they can play is on Sup 'Air fields or bail fields or woods or whatever, they will still play it. I still think the percentile translation to becoming a tournament player will be the same.

The whole 'playing rambo' bit is misleading - I think the number of people who want to play Rambo and then go onto be scenario gamers/big game players is not far off the number of people who want to become tournament players, and go in that direction. The vast majority don't want to play Rambo or become 'Paintballers' - they want to go out, have a laugh and shoot their mates. And I think the numbers translating into teams from germany, from what I can see, bear this out.

Aside from that, if you are talking about the relative attractiveness of formats, I think if you took 100 blokes aged 15 - 25, showed em a sup'air field and a woodland field, and said 'where do you want to play', you'd probably get a roughly 50/50 split.
I agree with some of what you say and I think our differences can be distliied in terms of that ratio you mention; you suggest it's a 50 / 50 split and I am suggesting the split is something like 80 / 20 in favour of Sup 'Air.
And these respective positions we both adopt account for the diiffernces we have in interpretation of the German scene.

The fact there isn't a proportionate uptake in tourney slots in the German Millennium does seem to suggest your position is correct but as you realise, there may be many more reasons why these teams do not elect to take part other than the fact they are shoot em' ups playing the only game in town.

I suppose the reason I choose to disregard this is my firm belief in the relative attractiveness of tourney over woodland and the reactions I have seen when Joe Average is confronted with tourney ball.

I could well be wrong, I hope not because it doesn't bode well for paintball if I am so I suppose we will just have to wait for some more reliable data to come in rather than just speculating (as we both are) on the information that is avaliable now.

If as you suggest, woodland ball is just as attractive as tourney ball, then we are well and truly fukked; if I am right, then at least we have a future and so, for the sake of PGi (and of course the rest of the industry), let's hope you are wrong which is quite ironic, don't ya think :)

D

duffistuta

Yep, I hope I am wrong. I am putting the plan for the German issue on hold for now though.

If anyone can get any relevant figures though...

Equinox

Go Ball Deep!!!
duffistuta said:
Yep, I hope I am wrong. I am putting the plan for the German issue on hold for now though.

If anyone can get any relevant figures though...
i hate to say it, but your 50/50 split is much more likely than Robbos 80/20..

in my experience, Tourney is too much a participating sport..
Lets face it.. its not amazing to watch for a paintballer.. so i can only imagine how much less amazing it is for a Non baller...

I Remember someone somewhere on these forums, (dont remember if he was serious.) Critisizing all the "Bling" in Modern Tourney Paintball..
Fortunately.. Bling helps attract people to the sport.. even if they dont
understand it, if it looks cool, they will be more inclined to learn.

It would be nice if Paintball as a sport had a "lucky break" as the Rec and
Scenario scenes are just as attractive to prospective ballers as the tourney scene (especially for those on a budget..)

Paintball as a sport could do with sp,e high up recognition to promote it..

For example.. you often see paintball in the papers ect.. like Man U using Delta Force..

Can anyone remember the last time tourney ball made it to the papers for whatever reason?? i cant..

magicmonkey

Life Begins In 10 Seconds
Jun 4, 2006
Lichfield
profile.myspace.com
Chris110986 said:
I think the problem is in how the public see the sport. the only way they see it is through rec ball. now allthough i have no problem with the game, I love getting cam'ed up and screaming MEDIC all day BUT some people beleave its too much like real fighting.

what we need are more tourneyments or open games in public places. i know im my local town park u can hire one part out, if we could get an air ball feild up with netting etc we could introduce so many people to the "other" side of paintball, the "sporty" side!

the problem is we are still trying to open paintball up to people who are allready involved in the sport, we need to open it FURTHER!!!

thats my 2 pence worth
I totally agree! When people think of paintball they think of the woods and cammo, rather than the tourney that we all know and love. I think that’s a great idea. if we all speak to our local councils or whatever we can set up a sup air field in our local parks and make a big event out of it whilst introducing the sporty side of paintball to all them people that see paintball as hiding in the woods covered in camo. I’m only 15 and suggested the idea of setting up a sup air field on our school field to raise money for charity. So at the same time as having fun, it also makes the sport look good. AND INTRODUCES IT TO I WIDER AUDIENCE!

Chris