Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do Ballers appear to be 'tight' ?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The way I look at it is surely if everyone is tight you get less bargains. If the person selling something is adamant they want £20 and not a penny less then fair enough, but still bumping a thread back up 6 weeks later and not excepting less is silly.
Thing is - if Sellers accept offers lower than they wanted, its swings and roundabouts, when that seller in the future wants to buy something he will also get a bargain.
If the seller wants an amount of money then they can stick to their price. Even if it means re-bumping a thread later on.
Perhaps they will never get the sale, perhaps they will

Selling at a bargain price is not pure justification meaning you will buy at a bargain price. If you sell for your desired 'fair price' then you can buy something else at a 'fair price'

Just sale and demand, aligned with the sellers desires/desperation.
If just offloading your gear without a desperate need for cash, or if you are saving up for something else in the longer term then you don't need to sell now at any price.

The barrel condom/sock is a bit of a funny example. You can buy them new for £5, or you can buy them second hand for £5.

Here one is requested and offers vary from one very dirty white one at £5, one for £1 or 6 for £5
http://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/barrel-sock.149858/
Quite a variation.
But if someone wants a specific brand or design hard enough then they will pay for it. If not wanted that hard then they will pay less

It would appear that lock lids are another 'desireable' attracting second hand sales at pretty much the same as new (especialy when prices are quoted, but exclde postage & fees)

Last edited:

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I just think that everyone likes a "deal" !!!

Most of the time if you see something and you want it, lets say its £20.00 and you decide thats a good deal, you are normally prepared to pay it, if you then offer £17 say, and then the seller says no lets meet at say £18.50, then you feel that you have had a better deal and thus saved £1.50 even though you were prepared to pay the £20.00.
OR
If the seller plays hard ball and says £20.00 final - because of the reverse physcology, you have already bought it and are using it, and then decide that you will just pay the £20.00.

Its the same a little for ebay !!
meanwhile... in a street market in Jerusalem

Last edited:

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
I get it in my job. I price up some work, maybe total bill £3000 and the guy will try to get £20 off. I mean, £20! Dude if you want £20 off a £3000 bill, have it. Is it worth the haggle? He's happy, I get the job.

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
People don't generally put things up with the asking price in mind, if you want to sell something you put in higher in hopes someone will buy it, thus you make more, so people haggle because they know a lot of people are asking for more than its worth 2nd hand.

Reactions: GodForbid

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
People don't generally put things up with the asking price in mind, if you want to sell something you put in higher in hopes someone will buy it, thus you make more, so people haggle because they know a lot of people are asking for more than its worth 2nd hand.
That depends
A seller may price for negotiation
They may also price as they feel it is worth
If they don't price for negotiation then don't get too upset if they won't knock off 50p

Consider rotors. They are desireable.
Price it at £80 and it will probably sell for the asking price.
Price it at £70 and rather than rush in for a bargain people may wonder what's wrong with it and why you are not charging £80
Price it at £90 and you will have less interest or people wondering why you think yours is so special

Dup

Aug 17, 2012
True that, if you look at it another way though, let's say you have a gun worth 300 and someone says 295 all in. They may think, I could spend that 5 on something I won't get included with the gun, like a barrel sock, or some spare oring or something.

Personally I ask for lower to see if they are open to negotiations, if they aren't I usually just go with her asking price but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm hindsight I probably shouldn't have said that bit I'm on my phone and I can't be bothered pressing backspace loads.

You say things like rotors are 80, but that's based on public opinion. If everyone started selling them at 90 and someone put one up for 80 then everyone would think that's odd too. So negotiations lead to that kind of price decrease, hence why people try it. Things aren't worth what the buyer wants, they're worth what people can be bothered to pay. So 50p off a rotor may not seem a lot, but in the long run, if everyone does it then you'll find what used to be 90,turns to 80 :)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
My rotor example is in response to the remark that people generally put in a higher asking price because they are willing to drop the price.
The rotor has a generally accepted second hand value and it is desireable
Its a matter of supply and demand. Its a desireable item, you can buy new or see if you can get one second hand.
People are willing to sell so there is a good second hand market, it can sell well for just over half the new price

Over pricing for this is unlikely to get a sale, there are usually a few available
At some point in time there will probably be less demand and the price would drop

I don't need a rotor but have been known to look them over, I'm inclined to desire a v-cam model but don't justify the new price to add it to my collection, I'm not too inclined to pay £80 for another electric hopper i dont need that is not v-cam (nor do I need one that is v-cam). Whether or not I would pay £80 for a v-cam one is subject to when I see one on offer
Perhaps I'll be tempted one day should the price go down, or perhaps something else shiney and new will get my attention by then

This thread has veered on to market forces of supply and demand, which sometimes produces reasonable prices, sometimes bargains, sometimes things go for relatively high prices

With regard to negotiation its between buyer and seller. The seller can have various motives for a sale.
They may need cash quick and accept any offer, they may need a certain amount quick and stay hardball as part of the money could be useless

They may just be making space which can work either way on price - they may want rid of gear and not actualy care how much they get, or they may not directly care about the money but want to make sure they get a fair deal, or a percentage of their original outlay. They could decide that though a lesser offer is fair that they'd rather just hang onto it if it's not worth as much as they thought

The original question was whether paintballers are tight. I read the first posts that the people making minor reduction offers we're being tight, but then later the OP gave the impression that the seller not accepting a minor reduction was being tight

(perhaps in haggling over 50p both are being tight)

I think it is fair enough to make offers to sellers (unless they have already made it clear they don't want lower offers)
If a buyer or seller is trying to spend a little less or make a little more then they are not necessarily being tight

Personally I'd prefer people put up items showing the all in price including postage and fees etc
Sometimes sellers prefer to meet up and do face to face sales at games etc. this means the amount paid is purely for the item and goes from the buyers pocket to the sellers pocket.
There can be times where a price is put up, then postage and fees (or say make it payment owed) get added on which can complicate the buyers situation, they may be willing to pay £80 but add on some post and fees and then the comparison to another seller may change

To the buyer anything added on is part of the item cost, to the seller it's money lost from their pocket

Samuel

Aug 12, 2012
As everyone has said, it's just down to this being so exspensive to A, break into the sport so we try to haggle down. B, repair what you own or upgrade. Overall people old or young have less money in times like this.

GodForbid

Jun 30, 2012
www.northants-giants.co.uk
A culmination of a few reasons.

1) It's basic sales to try for a higher price than you're willing to accept, and it's basic buying to offer a lower price than you're willing to pay. You meet in the middle, that's just the way it is.

2) Paintballing is expensive and some people need to save as much as possible.

3) Rich people didn't get rich by giving money away, the richest will pick a penny from the floor.