Woman dies following an accident at a paintball site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Tom: I think that what the other guys are getting at is that a lot of people don't get past the headline, and just assume the rest.
I get that
I also made a note to chris that I wasn't intentionally singling him out

A headline is a headline, you look at the headline and decide whether to read on
Not just in this case but it appears the slightest mention of paintball in anything that may not be 100% positive is bad

Surprisingly the daily mail chose a long detailed online headline which tells the story in one sentence
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352708/Woman-45-crushed-death-pile-wooden-barriers-Plymouth-paintball-centre-freak-accident.html

The game of paintball has not been damaged by this accident or the headline. I believe people are being over defensive. The 2nd comment decides the headline is wrong for stating the fact and asserts that it implies paintball caused the death

MajorFaff

Sep 4, 2012
A headline has impact, it's designed that way. Agree about the Daily Mail... an actual sensible headline from them.

I agree with you that paintball has not been damaged, but once again, when people see words like "[insert activity] + Death" it's easy to jump to conclusions. The general populace has not the interest to really read beyond that I imagine, and I would assume not all inclined to make a sensible choice like do background reading.

All I know is, a woman is dead in a tragic accident for something that was avoidable :-( RIP.

Last edited:

Paulo Pina

Jul 30, 2013
Its not good for any kind of sport to be related to an unfortunate and tragic incident like this!

My condolences to the family

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I don't want to be horrible but if new members with under 20 posts put a little comment on here it makes me think about how appropriate it is

It could be construed as getting post counts up in bad taste

Condolences are a nice thing to put up, but in the post Diana age with communal grief, parcularly with time having passed and those directly affected not necessarily on here, it can belittle grief

I've had my fair share of losses and am not adverse to showing a bit of sympathy or empathy
(Ill also have a secret tear in a sad film these days)

However please think twice before dropping a comment on this thread as to how it may be interpreted by readers

Ben H

Grandad
Jun 2, 2013
ive been to a site and someone was nearly shot in the face due to someone not having a sock on.
Given the late nature of your post and the general irrelevance to the original post i suggest you read tommikka's post above
I don't want to be horrible but if new members with under 20 posts put a little comment on here it makes me think about how appropriate it is

It could be construed as getting post counts up in bad taste

Status
Not open for further replies.