Planet Eclipse Warped Sports Manic Paintball Just Paintball G.I Milsim Tipmann BZ Paintball DYE Paintball

Would the plane take off?

Discussion in 'Gold Board' started by Bolter, Feb 2, 2008.

?

Would the plane take off?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2008.
  1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. No

117 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. I don'thave a clue

12 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. John C Told u So.

John C
    Message Count:
    Actually its both. But the friction between the tyres and the runway (the kinetic energy used to the deform the tyres) would be the more significant force.

Bearings tend to have pretty low coefficients of friction ;) :D

2. Skeet Platinum Member

Skeet
    Message Count:
    If the brakes were on, then the plane would have to overcome the friction between the tyres and the runway, in order to not move backwards, but as the brakes aren't on, then it's the the friction between the axle and the bearing that that needs to be overcome first as all the planes mass is bearing down on those first.
    Clearly, there is grip between the tire and the runway, but assuming the tires are inflated correctly, then this shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder...what effect would it have, if the treadmill was covered in EvoStick as were the tyres? This would increase grip between the two of them...would that affect the thrust required?

3. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
  4. Tom Allen TFP

Tom Allen
    Message Count:
    You could counteract the evostick by covering the plane in butter;)

5. Revolt Monkey features

Revolt
    Message Count:
    there is no mother****ing plane. youve all been had.

6. Buddha 3 Hamfist McPunchalot

Buddha 3
    Message Count:
    I've been thinking about a way to explain it to the nay-sayers that just don't seem to get it...

Strap on your rollerskates (again) and go stand on a threadmill. Start skating and have the threadmill move as fast as you are skating. You don't go forward or backwards.
    Now introduce a force that is not bothered by the moving threadmill. Have a mate stand next to the mill and have him put his hand on your back and then push forward. You will move forward.
    Do the same thing again, but put the mill on topspeed and don't bother skating, just have the mate put his hand on your back. According to your logic you should go backwards at this point. Now have the mate push you again. You WILL go forward, yet according to your logic you should still be going backwards...

A plane's engines are a force that is not influenced by the speed at which the ground moves underneath it. It is the same as your mate standing next to the threadmill.

7. Tom Allen TFP

Tom Allen
    Message Count:
    what's tripping their minds out is the treadmill will accelerate to whatever the plane will. So even if you do the rollerskate thing, they will still say that as soon as you push the guy the treadmill will speed up to counteract this. They believe that the treadmill can overcome everything, but in reality it does nothing.:)

8. Tom Allen TFP

Tom Allen
    Message Count:
    As soon as their mind accepts the fact that the treadmill is not the deciding factor the sooner they will see reason.

9. Skeet Platinum Member

Skeet
    Message Count:
    [weirdkidwithshavedhead] You have to understand, that in reality, there is no treadmill, but it is you, that moves backwards at equal speed.[/weirdkidwithshavedhead]

10. markfenton Platinum Member

markfenton
    Message Count:
    Oh My God this is still going.

I really don't get it!!! I say it won't take off, even though I have seen the little plane take off on the you tube clip!! BUT the little plane is actually moving forwards along the carpet meaning its not stationary meaning it has lift under its wings , Meaning it CAN take off!!! BUT the whole thing about this is that a tread mill makes you stationary meaning no air flow MEANING NO TAKE OFF!!!!

So if you are on you roller skates and someone pushes your back and the treadmills going full tilt, Question "how much airflow have you got passing your face?"

None because your not moving, no ground speed, no lift, no take off.

Thank you