Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball continued...

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Now before I fly over to the states and see what all the fuss is about regarding X-Ball and before the next load of posts saying how great it was etc, I figured I would do a little bit of out loud thinking...feel free to dissagree

X-Ball as I understand it, is a normal paintball game with the added incentive of trying to score extra points within a preditermined time frame some differing parts with the sin bin but other than that basically the same ...objectives to be attained and points awarded upon completion (sounds at the moment like a senario game !!???)

Now it has been posted that the ultimate goal for the furthering of the X-Ball format is the formation of a league with a structure that encompasses certain citys within the US and then it will "become" the height to which all paintballers will want to reach? the competion for places on the teams will become the equivelent of the "draft" (as found in other american sports, though I doubt it will follow the same lines as the lowest placed team in the league gets to choose the number 1 player in the draft as in the system currently applied in the other american sports)

Now it has been stated that this new format will attract outside sponsorship ie TV and so on, right can see that...but thats not the issue.

Other things that have been posted in speculation as to the formation rules for the teams to become this new breed of paintballers. It has said that they (the players) will be contractually obliged to play in the X-Ball format to the exclusion of any other format...that can't be good, surely that will move X-Ball to becoming a side show...however well featured on TV and magazines (not PB mags 'cos we know they will feature it).

Now it has occurred to me that should this league format appear in the new year (2003) then what will happen, will it go the same way as the NHL that realised that they needed outside teams to make it competitive (outside in this case was canadian teams) and does this also mean that this format (X-Ball) will suddenly declare themselves as having a "World Series" despite the whole event/format is only available to americans based within designated american regions. At least the NPPL/PSP event schedule does allow outside teams to compete in the World Cup...not lots of them go over and even their inclusion annoys a lot of people due to the possibilty of the teams that have played in all the events that year not gaining enough series points, but I degress, the current title of World Cup although stretching a point does become valid due to the inclusion of those foreign teams.

Now the next step could be the formation of foreign teams playing in the X-Ball format, but then who and when would they play, can't do it in america as that isn't allowed under the releases of the formation rules,perhaps it will have to be a once a year Nations Cup as was run at the IAO. If formed within mainland Europe for example then as I understand it the sites wishing to run with this idea (X-Ball) will have to pay for the idea to allow them to set up a field to do it ...now the promotor is going to increase his "green fee" to the competing teams to cover this outlay making paintball even more expensive than it already is, plus where can teams practice drills within an X-Ball format, same situation (money to be paid out).

Don't misunderstand this post I am not against a format that I have yet to witness (soon to change) but in all the posts about X-Ball not once have I seen a list of the objectives and rules so my "idea" of the game has been gleaned from postings and info from the magazine coverage. But, and that word keeps coming up, if all of the intended things happen then what the hell is going to happen and what good is it to the teams competing, will it become "sports entertainment like WWF which is a quatum leap away from the real sport of wrestling. It just doesn't look as good as it seems to be have painted.

Once again feel free to comment as I said at the beginning of this post this is all "thoughts".

ta for reading this long post :D

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Mark, you don't get it

1--X-Ball is being envisaged as a professional league like other North American pro sports leagues.
Which means--a) of course the players who will be real pros can't play with the rest of us as it detracts from their change of status and, b) (the NHL has what, 30 teams and 6 of them are Canadian? so what's the point?) and c) by definition any X-Ball championship as the result of competition between again, real pros is a step above anything else that already exists, [and dude, baseball plays a World Series comprised of the American League and National League champions despite the fact baseball is played all over the world. What can I say? It's our game and our world. ;) ] and d) in the future probably anyone who wants to can play the X-Ball format but only franchised teams will play *real* X-Ball and, e) it's the rest of us who will be relegated to sports entertainment, doh!

To recap: X-Ball good. Fun to watch. Format creates a game structure and length consistent with other American sports. The only meaningful distinction will be *real* pro vs. rest of us--paid to play vs. paying to play. And if X-Ball actually becomes a professional league it will be the "sport" of pball by virtue of being the professional variant.
It's not a question of how X-Ball fits in with the current structure of pball it's how X-Ball may overhaul the perception of pball.

(For those with a masochistic, perhaps even sado-masochistic, tendency dig in the archives and review "Jerry Braun" thread to see early related thoughts from the first inklings of X-Ball . . . :rolleyes: )

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
My point about the Canadians was they had to be included to allow for a bit of movement within the league...that is include REAL competition (no south park jokes about the canadians ;) )

Ok I see what you mean that if they are real Pro's then no they shouldn't play with us mortals. I understand that.

No answer about the "draft"?

Remember my post was an outloud thinking exersise, there isn't really a right or wrong answer but still lots of questions

Yes the inklings were in the infamous Jerry Braun thread but you really had to read between the lines to get that info...plus your other sources didn't hurt did they ;)

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
If I recall correctly--

Originally posted by Mark
My point about the Canadians was they had to be included to allow for a bit of movement within the league...that is include REAL competition (no south park jokes about the canadians ;) )
The NHL had 6 original teams (might'a been 8 as I ain't that old) and two of them were Toronto and Montreal. Had nothing to do with *legitimacy* of league but local popularity of game, income base, facilities and population base.

As to an X-Ball "draft" while I can't offer any certainty on this point somewhere in the process how teams acquire players will have to be taken into account--and a "draft" of some sort is the usual method.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I doubt the draft will be as structured as the one for say the NFL.
Okay, the system of allowing the lowest placed teams the first picks, has the potential to make the competition more interesting, but someone's place in the picking order is determined by a heap of stats from this person's NCAA college performance. There is nothing in paintball to compare with that. So how will someone's 'draft position' be determined? Most likely it'll just be team A sees a kid that they like, so they approach him. If team B likes him as well, and offers better deals, the kid will most likely go to team B.
Please don't turn this thread into a 'The team with the most cash will be the X-ball champs!' thread now...

supair

Matt(sweatz) - Ex Swat uk
Jul 9, 2001
Up North, England
www.wardc.co.uk
Right. Surely the idea will be that each country would have its own X-Ball league? The natural thing to do would be to have a board in each country made up of the top dogs in each country, like for england, Niall Squires (off the top of my head) as chairman with other organisers below running the English X-Ball League.

The isuue of teams paying to play wont/shoudlnt be an issue. i dont know how other top leagues organise themselves, for example does the premier league (english football yanks ;o) ) take a fee from the teams to play? Do the teams in the NFL have to pay every season? Surely if the answer is yes, then the top teams will have to find top sponsors to pay their fees (i know alex ferguson dont pay outta his own pocket for man u to play) which shouldnt be that hard if X-ball is gonna be the big break, the format which will attract all these outside sponsors.

If say an X-ball League was created in each country, there would have to be a hierarchy within the league itself. For example the top division would be the elite, the top teams, and for arguments sake there could be 10 teams. This could be called the Premier division but if the americans have anything to do with it it will probably be called Xtreme or Elite. So we have the X-ball elite, then below that the X-Ball 1st, then the X-ball 2nd etc, accomadating as many teams as is needed. This makes sure that not ALL teams are excluded through elitism.

There are probably Ten Top Pro teams in england, which would fill the top division. In the USA this number might be more but a bigger X-Ball Elite division could be managed, say with 20 teams. Then below that you have the Top Ams and Nov teams filling the lower divisions, and promotions and relegations would be a possibility. Unrealistic? I think it sounds great.

matt

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Buddha 3
So how will someone's 'draft position' be determined? Most likely it'll just be team A sees a kid that they like, so they approach him. If team B likes him as well, and offers better deals, the kid will most likely go to team B.
Please don't turn this thread into a 'The team with the most cash will be the X-ball champs!' thread now...
But of course with a "system" as you've suggested that would be the ultimate result which means some more standardized and equitable method will have to be developed.

Originally posted by supair
Do the teams in the NFL have to pay every season? Surely if the answer is yes
The answer is no.

rancid

Mother, is that you?
But x-ball don't work without tv money.

It will never work in Britain cos there is no TV interest (and never will be) and no tourny operator can make a penny out of the format.

When will you all stop talking about this as though it's got a future?