Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball this sunday...

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Not that hard to find really

Step outside your door and go about three thouand miles west southwest. That is, of course, if you've gone off in search of America.
The point was, undoubtedly, the follow up articles in all the pball magazines as well as the video that was shot. More people will see it and hear about it that way than could have observed it in person. And who is gonna nit-pick the peripheral details?
It's a step--a small, somewhat shaky step admittedly--but a step forward regardless. (Oh, yeah, and the ultimate goal is finding a way to play and present pball as a sport that can generate enough audience interest to mainstream it in some fashion.)

So Rancid, is your antipathy to all this based on a fear the woods game might really disappear eventually?

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Nah, all this woods things is summat you and TJ made up to make you feel better about yourselves. However, it creates a certain endearing-wilderness-rancid, and I'm happy to play along.

X-ball, well it's no more than a gut feeling. The problem is the televisibility- ie you just cannot see or appreciate the action without prior knowledge - it's like watching soccer without the ball, or tennis, or baseball or whatever.... AND, therefore, I don't think any tampering with the rules or format will make the slightest difference. Hence X-ball is nout more than the (new) emperor's clothes.

I hope I'm wrong, of course.... but there has been little counter balance in all this and no one really wants to discuss it. I think I've been the only one who's put a dampner on it, and the crit comes back that I'm some kind of purist/survival nut - which I don't mind, it's funny.

Over the years I've changed my view from the early days of campainging for camo to be banned and speedball to be promoted, into exactly the opposite - if I was going to televise paintball, I'd do it in the woods, with rescue the hostage and blow up the johnny foreigner village..... this is the common denominator and the key to mass appeal. Unfortunately, that is an extremely unfashionable view.

:)

Endearinf-wilderness Rancid

Now that IS funny...in tha spirit of your tree-hugging, naturist ways, allow me to bequeath you with tha following quote for your signature...it's strangely apt:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Thoreau

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Trees and plants and whatnot are all fine in their place

Originally posted by rancid
Nah, all this woods things is summat you and TJ made up to make you feel better about yourselves. However, it creates a certain endearing-wilderness-rancid, and I'm happy to play along.
As you regularly tout the wonders of woods ball as the gateway to pball perhaps you can see how one is left with the impression it is also your preference. (And in the meantime, yes, it is rather entertaining :) )
Originally posted by rancid X-ball, well it's no more than a gut feeling. The problem is the televisibility- ie you just cannot see or appreciate the action without prior knowledge - it's like watching soccer without the ball, or tennis, or baseball or whatever.... AND, therefore, I don't think any tampering with the rules or format will make the slightest difference. Hence X-ball is nout more than the (new) emperor's clothes.
Gonna disagree with you here. The problem is marketability. The format can easily be adapted to television though it will take a bit of work to get good at televising the matches. With myriad sports channels and a growing base of potential interest television isn't going to be a problem once the hurdle of marketability is overcome. The big issues to sports sponsors are the prestige factor and demographics of the core audience.
Originally posted by rancid I hope I'm wrong, of course.... but there has been little counter balance in all this and no one really wants to discuss it. I think I've been the only one who's put a dampner on it, and the crit comes back that I'm some kind of purist/survival nut - which I don't mind, it's funny.
What's to counterbalance? Will it work or won't it work? We'll find out in time. Unfortunately there's more to go wrong than the game not really being viable.
Originally posted by rancid Over the years I've changed my view from the early days of campainging for camo to be banned and speedball to be promoted, into exactly the opposite - if I was going to televise paintball, I'd do it in the woods, with rescue the hostage and blow up the johnny foreigner village..... this is the common denominator and the key to mass appeal. Unfortunately, that is an extremely unfashionable view.
:)
And what percentage of the tourney market resisted Hyperball and Airball when they made their appearances? And what percentage of the new generation of tourney players would gladly go back to playing events in the woods?
If fantasy scenario pball was the key to mass appeal then where are the millions playing it? The reality is there is a limited audience for that aspect of play. It's popular enough that a handful make a good living from it while others struggle to keep up and the Brit scene remains mostly stagnant--or so it seems. Is that really the model for future success?

R

raehl

7.2 million..

At least according to the SGMA super study, which is pretty much *THE* sporrts survey around. Where are you getting 15.7?

- Chris

Manning26

I'm sure some of you oldies can remember those glow in the dark paintballs, couldn't we put something in the little dudes to pick 'em up on camera? And I'm not advocating playing in the dark either, I was just thinking of how they highlight the first down line in American football, and how they trace the puck around in hockey. Surely there's some non-toxic something or other that can be infused to give the lowest denominator some viewing pleasure, eh? Somehow I don't see this as our only hurdle, but I'm sure it would help. So, uh, who's going to get this goin' then?