Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball

Oct 4, 2001
all over
Visit site
Originally posted by PEACHIE
I think that sorts that one out martin. Highest placed UK team in Pro division at campaign are UK champs regardless of any other result. That seems pretty fair to me. I like the cut of your jib and i'm glad to see someone has the cajones to put down a challenge.
not quite sure you got the point......:rolleyes:

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Ledz
...So lets say you have one field to play on (As far as I know there is only one complete X-Ball field in the UK) if every team plays just one match you could only have 10 teams. ...
But isn't that a pretty average team to field ratio for an event. Admittedly my experience is comparativley limited, but the events i have seen normally have a field for every 10 teams. (PA: 40 teams - 4 fields, KotH: 30 or 40 teams - 3 or 4 fields)

Although that is based on only one match which is less than what most people would expect, althought wouldn't you get about the same field time in one match, as you would from a day of 8 or 9 games?

Dec 19, 2002
Scotland
Originally posted by Steve Hancock
But isn't that a pretty average team to field ratio for an event. Admittedly my experience is comparativley limited, but the events i have seen normally have a field for every 10 teams. (PA: 40 teams - 4 fields, KotH: 30 or 40 teams - 3 or 4 fields)

Although that is based on only one match which is less than what most people would expect, althought wouldn't you get about the same field time in one match, as you would from a day of 8 or 9 games?
Ahh but my friend you read not well, as master Ledz stated there is only one full Xball field in the UK :)

Mak dad
:cool:

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Are you sure only 1? Big Dave has one, im sure i saw another around before he got that, I would know as I was one of the first to use it...

Dec 19, 2002
Scotland
Depends what you think an Xball field is, yeah there might be a few fields in the country with the Xball style bunkers and a big ass X, but there is only 1 full EXl Xball field in the UK with all the bunkers and the little stand up pillar things, which change the field layout so much (shooting lanes etc) that to train for Xball you really need to have em :)

Mak Daddy
:cool:

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
I think there is only one full field in the UK which has a forest. Having a center X does not an X ball field make. The forest is key and completely changes the way it will play.

In response to Steve,

Equivalent number of games: Highly dependent and debatable.

I'm not sure if an X-ball point correlates directly to an equiv 5 man game.

we played a minimum 14 points maximum 22 in Amsterdam (including those disallowed for Hot guns etc), but there are a lot of variables affecting the amount of points played:

Throwing in the Towel,
Penalties (5 v 3's generally played out sub 45 secs)
Game plan - run-through points where the whole team effectively runs through the opposition, No time for pussying around with bunkers.
How many in your squad (the same 5 won't play every point or rarely go back to back - unless your Russian Legion or some of Joy)
Whose out on field
Who your playing
How many you take of the bat, remember you don't score for live bodies either, so trading players can sometimes be beneficial especially if it clears certain bunkers

The dynamic of X is very different to standard round robin paintball. X Ball certainly isn't paintball for the masses, and unless playing a multi day event, the individual is likely to play less paintball than a usual. Over 3 X-Ball matches I estimate we actually played more (individually), but that's 3 matches which is a lot.

In addition to there being only 1 full field in the UK, I'd estimate that only a maximum of 10-15 teams actually have the set-up, players (skill and variety wise), support package, understanding (all in varying degrees), to attempt X Ball. That saying whoever's played it agrees the format is awesome.

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
Originally posted by D6
Sorry- my mistake and I'm willing to stand corrected. Shall I dig up the thread when you and Hatts say that the PA are paying for someone to film the event? I think it was under the title 'pb on tv'? Or can I put that down to the classic PA sarcasm that goes one way but not another?

As always, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong- I have no problem admitting it.

Now- what about the PA Cup (not league)? Is that open to everyone and not committing teams to playing a series? Raises a few questions, surely.....

Edited for link here
i was agreeing with you monkey boy!!!

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by stongle
I think there is only one full field in the UK which has a forest. Having a center X does not an X ball field make. The forest is key and completely changes the way it will play.
None of the divisional Xball events to date has used the NXLs various "trees" in their field layouts and I think we can likely agree they've been calling it Xball. So it's probably fair to say that yes, having a center X does indeed make an Xball field tho it's open to debate just what quality of X you end up playing.

You Open Div Xball peeps have had the good fortune to be playing on NXL layouts given the limited number of competing teams and need to be flexible in scheduling EXL matches.

Re: trees and forest--are y'all still using the thin little trees as NXL has, lately, been using screening props about the size of two 50 gal. drums stacked.