Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-ball

Maybe not...

As I said a ways back, one of tha problems tha PSP had was accussations of wearing too many hats. If Jerry's team is in tha X-Ball he can still run PSP without those accusations.

And having X-Ball running alongside NPPLs shouldn't detract from revenue too much...none of those teams woulda been paying entry anyway!

Urban

Oct 31, 2001
Beds, UK
Visit site
Hmmm....

So now we got X-ball, rec-ball, sup-air and woodland... 3-man, 5- man, 7-man and 10-man...

Anyone wanna come up with a couple more formats to completely fragment this 'sport'?

Urban

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Sorry, Urb

But in my universe p-ball as a sport occurs on concept fields. Your confusion might arise from the occasional mix of concept field elements placed amongst and sometimes using woodland environs--but fortunately that will cease soon--except perhaps in England. :) Otherwise, rec-ball, scenario games, Big Games and woods play in general are a completely different animal.

PS-and as you are a guest in my universe please conform your opinions to universal norms. Thank you. ;) :D

Urban

Oct 31, 2001
Beds, UK
Visit site
No confusion here...

We're not talking about your Universe, we're talking about the one that the majority of the general public live in...

...the one where anyone can flick on the TV to watch football, British or American, and know exactly what they're going to get... how many players, how long it's gonna last, how the scoring works...

You say rec-ball, scenario etc are a completely different animal... to who??

Us paintballers? Yes.

Joe Public? No.

All these things (x-ball, rec, supair etc) all carry under the banner of 'Paintball'. In Britain, us tourney players are a minority representation of 'Paintball' given the number of rec players. Now the powers that be want to reduced that representation even further by introducing a new format that the vast majority of 'paintballers' (all types) cannot, physically and/or financially, play. The 'get fit, get better, join an X-ball team' arguement ain't valid here because it's nots what I'm talking about.

The way paintball is presented to the masses is the issue and there's something about 80 players representing paintball to the world, especially when at least one freely admits to cheating like a whore/pushing the grey*, that seems slightly worrying.

* Delete as appropriate :D

Urban

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Well yes and no Urban. You said "the one where anyone can flick on the TV to watch football, British or American, and know exactly what they're going to get... how many players, how long it's gonna last, how the scoring works...".
If you use the word "football" as an umbrella term, under that you can have American Football, Soccer, Rugby League, Rugby Union (those 2 can be really confusing!), Australian Rules, Gaelic.......... Added to that, there are still different forms within each category, e.g. 5 a side soccer, "flag" US football as a no-contact version, Rugby 7's
So using the word "Paintball" as an umbrella term, we could include Concept/Sup'air tourneys, woodland tourneys, scenario games etc. And though maybe the international & major tourneys would usually be the same format e.g. 7-man sup'air there would still be events of different team sizes or formats e.g. 3-man or 10-man, or hyperball.

Urban

Oct 31, 2001
Beds, UK
Visit site
I'd argue Rugby does not in any way come under the banner of Football, though I'll give you the rest and that kinda proves my point Liz... who the hell watches Gaelic football on TV? Is it even on TV?

The majority of Football is either good old english soccer or American Football. That's what the majority of people play and the majority of people watch. Moreover that is what the TV networks pay big money to televise, and what companies pay big money to sponsor. Gaelic is so small that even minority seems the wrong word to use.

The same with X-Ball. I'm a bit dubious of these 'it's the next big thing' claims when it seems to be anything but big... more an exercise in empire building by the few, for the few.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Urban