Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Your views on the Ion

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
So... without losing sight of the original question...

Suitable for someone who is literally just getting into the sport? I am talking about the out of the box Ion..

SteRoberts

Pugwash
Apr 1, 2004
Wolverhampton

Suitable for someone who is literally just getting into the sport? I am talking about the out of the box Ion..
Yes it is

Let them hold it beforehand first, the duckbill on it can be annoying, as can the feedneck

Lets not let this get to 12 pages of ion hate again

MCBrawler

I put my name on it
Jun 2, 2005
in a house
Visit site
hell no, you buy it at RRP of £150 it then have to spend £150 on ups to make it a decent gun to use in a tournement were you might as well spend £300 on a second hand angel or ego.

SteRoberts

Pugwash
Apr 1, 2004
Wolverhampton
a £22 feedneck and £23 on / off is hardly £150 worth of upgrades

Anything else is stuff you would have to buy on ANY other gun, such as barrel, air tank, hopper, barrel socks made from gold etc ..

Now im off, and im not posting in this thread again, so you can all say what you will ... and you will.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member

Yes.

But they'll probably want to either upgrade the Ion itself or upgrade to a better marker in time. But for the price, it is a very good buy for a starter marker.

I would say that the PMR and MINI are both better 'starter' markers but only if the budget can stretch that far.

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Yes.

But they'll probably want to either upgrade the Ion itself or upgrade to a better marker in time. But for the price, it is a very good buy for a starter marker.

I would say that the PMR and MINI are both better 'starter' markers but only if the budget can stretch that far.
if you can spare £140ish you can pick up an 05 speed, or stretch a bit further and maybe an 06 - both are lovely markers, easy maintenance on the heavy side compared to pmr, mini and ion but they are amazingly efficient and extremley simple maintenance

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
if you can spare £140ish you can pick up an 05 speed, or stretch a bit further and maybe an 06 - both are lovely markers, easy maintenance on the heavy side compared to pmr, mini and ion but they are amazingly efficient and extremley simple maintenance
Agreed, but assumed we were only talking about buying *new*.

Speed 05's are fantastic markers, you can also pick up PM5's for under £150.

Suns

Apocalypse Paintball
Mar 16, 2006
Cambridge
I guess we're talking about brand new direct from smart parts... or even if you bought it standard from here for about £80.

To be honest I couldnt complain about paying £80 for a backup marker, then putting a q-lock and drop forward + asa on it. That sounds good.

For a new person looking to get into paintballing, not the Ion. Second hand Ego 05, DM5, something along those lines, or an Epiphany seems more suitable.

Thanks for posting though, good to see everyone's views. Certainly very mixed.