Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Zoning and other Tactics ??

richardmawer

Playing since 1986 - Still shooting fools
May 15, 2003
Lincolnshire
digitalmediaedge.co.uk
O.K - I get the principal of zoning but could someone give me a simple explanation of how it works in a game and how to set it up pre-game when walking the field ??

I was reading in PGI that Zoning is not focusing on a specific bunker but an area of the field which is your responsibility - yet an article by Ryan or Skinnny K of Dynasty that i read seemed to emphasise that Zoning was more down to each players tasks in the mid game - as in each players "loose" game plan.

Anyone clarify this and give some practical advice on how to use it in the treal world and set it up ??

Thanks,

Rich

Speedyg4LS

NSPL FACTORY
Sep 25, 2003
S. Wales
ok i maybe wrong and completely in de wrong place with this, but at Campaign on Field Um Rps i think( ithad that massive centre people where calling everest during games) one of the games i watched was the Rps Vipers versus Someone (cant think who). But off of the get go on of the Vipers back players litreally just stepped on sep to the right and laid paint down his side of the field , all in one straight line, the unsuspecting opposition (two of them i must add) just ran to their bunkers as on their way there they ran straight through this line of paint, and were eliminated. so really you could call that zoining. Yes or am i completely wrong

fuxup

JAGUAR XS
Sep 19, 2002
USA
Visit site
Get hold of the latest copy of PGI and you will find an article in tere about ZONING ,
Basically its where you pick an area on the field and that then becomes yourZONE any 1 in it youve got to sort out and control that "ZONE" ,also you could have however many of your team mates also controling the same zone .Best bet tho is pay your duesto PGI and get a copy of the BEST mag about .:D

L J

big big titties
a rather ingenious aproach i was introduced to at campaign was this:

neil mochan from red heat was our captain, and we started with your average zoning the first game, it did work (4 on the break) but he wanted a change, so instead of having say 2 guns firing 2 lanes on the left and 2 guns with 2 lanes on the right, we had maybe 1 gun shooting right, with 3-4 shooting the SAME lane(wider lane admittedly) and it guaranteed 1-2 kills on the break every game, and i now have mucho respectus for neil

richardmawer

Playing since 1986 - Still shooting fools
May 15, 2003
Lincolnshire
digitalmediaedge.co.uk
Yeah - we have been working in training on having 6 guns up off the break - shooting key lanes and then switching our focus on to key bunkers. Also running and shooting - so we can break with all guns up and also take key bunkers.

However Zoning seems to be a tactic where each player is designated an area of the field to focus on - we are slowly developing this - just wanted advice on setting it up.

Thanks for all your input !!

Rich

To control a zone is to dominate a certain part of the field.

It is not restricted to shooting of the break, however someone should be aware of their designated zone from the start of the game, the importance of this tactic is that you never stray from your zone for a second because your teammates will be relying on your control of your zone.

You are looking out of one side of your bunker for the whole game, you could be stopping someone looking out of one side of a barricade, or stopping the other team running to a particular barricade.

What makes this tactic useful is that your teammates can rely on the fact that the other team wont be able to make a certain barricade or wont be able to shoot a certain way from a certain barricade.
Your team can then base what they do on these assumptions.

Hope this helps, its alot harder to write about this then to talk about it.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
I think you say it pretty well, John...

Playing a Zone game is simple- instead of seeking targets of opportunity, you keep things from happening. Make sure the zones work together, and no one can move on you.

The caveat is you need someone to make things happen for your benefit. If everyone is holding a zone, no one is breaking the game. If you play a zone type game, you will need at least a couple of gutsy, alert players to use the static condition you impose on the other team to wreak havok. These guys have to be willing to move, bunker, snap, whatever, to seek the targets that the rest of you are freezing in place for them.

The simplest zone set-up is when you have two players left, in say the two back corners, that cross the field and protect one another, hoping to either wipe out the team with more players as they sweep up the field or run down the clock if all's lost and you want to just deny the opponent the points.

Skeet

Platinum Member
Im not sure whether this could be classed as Zoneing or not, but..
A team I know of has a set of calls, relating to bunkers on the field.
If the team hear a shout from one of their players...say "FIFTY LEFT!!" for example, this means that all players quickly fire upon the left hand bunker on the 50 for like a second or so, then go back to what they are doing.
That way, if an opposition player is making a run for a bunker...all of a sudden he has 10-15 balls from each of the other players comming at him, from different directions!!
Ouch!
Gaz

ShelleyHicky

Shelley Farmer
Oct 22, 2003
London
My teams zone methods

I'm not gonna tell you everything my team looks at, but as advise I tell you this:

1st identify where people are happy playing, ie. position on field and whats there stronger side when shooting.

To be the best you have to shoot both sides of the bunker, occasionly over the top, and blind laning. This is where zoning comes in.:)

A player is responsible for their angles. When walking the field, choose your bunker look at the angles you can control. This is your zone. Never trade fire with fire, and always check your lanes. When firing stops, you have the drop (the player is either moving, shooting elsewhere, or potting up). Use this at your advantage.

The game is full of different variables - you've heard it all before:rolleyes: but if you've got your zone covered you and
your team should be able to control the game. But remember zones go to s**t if you don't communicate.

Text book stuff.

Is there a paintball text book:confused: :confused: :confused: