Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

1 on 1

ericostani

Mar 9, 2003
surrey
Visit site
tut tut (shake head)

you know it wouldnt come down with the same force as out of the gun, it would come down quite slow. - terminal velocity and all that, and a paintball being quite light.
man, you guys really need to revise your physics:rolleyes:

L J

big big titties
tut tut (shake head)

Originally posted by ericostani
you know it wouldnt come down with the same force as out of the gun, it would come down quite slow. - terminal velocity and all that, and a paintball being quite light.
man, you guys really need to revise your physics:rolleyes:
exactly, all this air resistance would slow it and only gravity would be propelling it as it would have lost its potential force when it started to come down again...but i do know that a paintball being dropped will break on goggles, and sort of hurts..or more shocks you, had a mate hit on goggles outside of a game...and ive been hit penty of times by falling balls;)

Weakest Link

Little Deviant
Oct 21, 2002
Durham
www.dur.ac.uk
Ok, you asked for it. The ball would slow down a few fps due to wind shear and factors such as lower air pressure. However, there will be no problem with air resistance. first of all the ball is small enough and going slow enough when it leaves the barrel for this not to matter. Also it is a ball. Therefore round. There has already been a post on another thread about how balls do not change shape (I think Kodak did a study). If there was enough air resistance it would go eliptical.

As it is fired upwards, it will lose its speed due to gravity, and reach its highest point. Then it will return, and accelerate at the same rate as it decelerated on the way up, hitting the ground at roughly the same speed that it left the barrel. It wont reach a terminal velocity (as a body would) because it has already gone at a speed that is going to be higher than that attained by it falling, just from being accelerated down the barrel.

ericostani

Mar 9, 2003
surrey
Visit site
no no no

a paintball weighing a small amount would have a very low terminal velocity, as when it got to a certain speed going down, the gravity force would equal the air resistance and it would go at a steady speed - nowhere near 200mph.

when the ball leaves the gun it is going much faster because the force of the gun accelerates it (more power than gravity) but then after a while it will slow down and get nearer its terminal velocity ( thats why bounces are more common from far away).
find out the terminal velocity of a paintball, you'll find out the speed itll be at coming down.

i agree as it is round it will have little air resistance, but it is also very light, so it will have a large effect.

Weakest Link

Little Deviant
Oct 21, 2002
Durham
www.dur.ac.uk
Bah. I hate it when I'm wrong. :( Im off into the corner to sulk now. So much for maths and Further maths. (and why would anyone want to oscilate a spring anyway? Idiots!)

8 Ball

theres no 'me' in team
Jul 9, 2002
London, yes i know john
Visit site
yo whitecross...

... if the fields set up the same way try no to stick to the same movements all the time. also if you have enough time between your matches check out or get your mates to check out as many of your opponents games as possible to see i f they aways have the same strategy (break left/right, try to make it to the middle etc..) any advantage no matter how minute could make a difference