Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

10 years after I hung up my Angel I got back on the field today

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Not really sure where this post belongs, as it's part review, part waxing lyrical about our game, and maybe it'll help some of the folks out who've been gone and thinking of coming back.

So 10 years ago I hung up my Joy Division Angel (which I dearly loved), and all forms of paintball, no more tournaments around the country (US), no more practices, full ride sponsorship gone, because I needed the money and time for an engagement ring (it didn't work out).

Flash forward 8 years, new girlfriend (now wife), asks why I don't ball anymore. I say because if I get on a field, it's not using a rental gun or rental mask, I go back into the life full stop or nothing. She says ok no worries. Now I'm moving to Dublin, and realized that buying gear is way cheaper in the states...so I pick up a Buccaneer Geo 3.1 #1 of 24, and the various goodies, Spire, Vio, and the new Bnkr Kings pack which I'll get to reviewing.

Today I had a couple hours to burn so I snuck away from the desk and headed to my local field, geared up and joined a walk on group.

First game is on a scenario field which isn't really my thing, but eh. Ref screams 3, 2, 1, gogogogo. I'm up the middle with none of my team around me, wtf?! I out ran them and straight into the other team breaking out. Take one in the shoulder as I slide in after shooting 1 stream.

So I'm huffing and puffing back in the start area angry at myself and thinking did I make a mistake by trying to come back. It was also at this time that I realized my pods in my brand new supreme pack from Bnkr Kings are gone. The strapless pack has a patent...and supposed to hold my pods in. They bailed out somewhere near the 50.

Lesson learned, push pods in further.

Game 2, comes up and we switch sides. I break down left tape, slide in and snap drill with some random guy, feeling pretty good at this point as he's in 90% of the time.

We go to close the game out, I grab my last pod and dump it in, just to see that on a slide paint blew up in my pod and now that's in my hopper. Awesome I'm firing curveballs left and right and basically useless from 10 feet+, game ends we win happiness for all the walk on kids.

So what did I learn for the folks who are thinking of coming back, just got back or other.

1. The Geo 3.1 is an incredibly nice gun. I have it locked to Mills settings and it's just a 0 movement nail driver.
2. Empire jersey did not breathe at all. I was drenched from playing 2 games. When there was a breeze my planet pants were airy and lovely, the jersey had me cooking.
3. Supreme pack from Bnkr Kings. No straps, and when used right, incredibly nice.
4. I need to stretch more
5. I need to build up some lower back exercises into my routine to beef that area up a bit to avoid cramps.
6. I'm glad I have a wife who's cool with me playing again, it's good to be back.

Mike

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
Currently at Pev's in Virginia, going to be playing out of Capital Paintball in Dublin, and trying to fly over at least once a month to play at Bricket with @alexd and his aces guys. Originally played out of SF and Connecticut. SF was at the fairgrounds which was the home of KAPP factory and the Ironkids. Dave Bains was a pain in the rear back player with great accuracy back then too heh.

jater

Oct 1, 2014
Im so tempted to jump back in again having given up years ago, not long after the Angel came out! But work, kids, mountain bikes and rock climbing keep me pretty busy!

niloc65

Aka Colin
Oct 4, 2013
Worthing - West Sussex
When one of us hit 50 we all (8 of us) looked at each other and said " why are we not still playing", so one year and many walk-ons later, the team is reforming and going back to the woods for tourneys and possibly speedball arena. Its fun to be back.

Reactions: Bolter and Spikerz

jater

Oct 1, 2014
In fact Twizz I played with you, Alan and Ronnie before we went over to Tigers. University and work got in the way!

shogun666

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2005
norwich
I turned 51 yesterday, and have decided to get back in , having last played in the woods in the late 90s with the Vulcans, then on to sup air with various teams I got a bit disalutioned with the short game times and cost, but I think paintball is in my blood and have started collecting kit and looking forward to getting back after XmasXmas

Reactions: Spikerz

Twizz ECI

London Tigers 2
Jan 8, 2003
Crawley
well we had our 7 man woodland event at Holmbush, as it was like we had gone back in time, Preds, Turks, Nam and shades players playing, it was awesome

Reactions: Spikerz