Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

1v1 Tournaments - For the skillful or for the lucky?

hipjaw

pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk // Reading Entity // #22
Apr 8, 2011
Bristol
pbplayr.blogspot.co.uk
With Planet Eclipse holding one at the CPPS last year, the millennium series introducing theirs in St Tropez and expanding it for Bitburg and the CPS also introducing their first to be held at their next event in Belgium (which I've signed up for), it appears 1v1 tournaments are becoming a popular side dish to the main course of big tournaments.

Personally I found these tournaments very interesting to watch, there's no cookie-cutter way of winning every 1v1. Sometimes they are won by superior gunskills yet other times the underdog on paper comes out on top - take St Tropez's spectacle for example. An OD2 player that was refusing to use his left hand the entire time he was on the field, got into the finals after shooting out 3 CPL players, including stateside pro, Greg Siewers!

What do you think of these mini-tournaments? Interesting to watch? A good judge of skill or too dependent on luck?

What do you think is the most important attribute to have in winning a 1v1? Gunskills? Creativity? Aggression / Patience?

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
The biggest advantage in winning a 1 on 1 on simple elimination alone is having a plan and the cool headedness to execute it, along with the gun skills to one ball your opponent as soon as they come in to your sights. However, where a time limit and a buzzer are introduced, the ability to read your opponent and adapt your plan are important. The MS's version, with these included and a race to 2 format favours the skilled over the lucky.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
I a one point 1v1, anyone can win. Increase it to Race to 2 or more, and the luck evens out and skill is more likely to determine the outcome. Personall,y I like it as a 1 point format, as it gives a fair crack for any old numpty to win a gunfight over a pro.

Hazza

Dec 10, 2012
accuracy, if u cant shoot and hit where u want to hit your never going to win!

Thorpe

Lucky 15s
Mar 13, 2010
Would be so much more interesting to watch at the Mills if there was no coaching allowed.

Always good to see accurate break shooting though, this weekend Fedorov shot either the first or second guy he was against before either of them stepped more than 2ft from the gate.

Hazza

Dec 10, 2012
only reason i hate race to, you could make one of the sneakiest gamechanging moves just for a sideline coach to call you out:(

Thorpe

Lucky 15s
Mar 13, 2010
There was coaching in the 1v1's? Man that sucks. Im all for the modern style, everyone is a robot, paintball, but in a 1v1, its not a 1v1 if there is coaching :(
When it was ran at CPPS last year as a one-off there was no coaching and definitely made it more interesting. I don't think it was ever announced as a rule that there was to be no coaching, but no-one was coached. But at Mills there is coaches, and 3 refs per player that mirror everything the player does so its fairly easy to tell if a players moved.

Reactions: Ellis90 and Bolter

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
When it was ran at CPPS last year as a one-off there was no coaching and definitely made it more interesting. I don't think it was ever announced as a rule that there was to be no coaching, but no-one was coached. But at Mills there is coaches, and 3 refs per player that mirror everything the player does so its fairly easy to tell if a players moved.
Boo!