Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

2000+ years old

Jun 11, 2008
I started going back to church following the birth of my son and because I wanted him baptised. I had no intention of being in the 'hatches, matches and dispatches' church going group.
I have previously read the bible, for my own interest, and believe in its moral code and ethics. Yes there are some contradictions but as it's written, and interpreted, by many people would you expect any different? Try doing a management communications exercise and see how your message is interpreted over 2 hours never mind thousands of years.
Having read the bible I am currently reading the Koran because;
  • Of the idiot pastor from the US church
  • I like reading
  • By understanding others views you canbegin to eliminate differences
  • I believe if you start by burning books you end up burning bodies
Once I've finished my intention is to read other religious books so suggestions welcome.
Now before we get uncomfortable about there being a christian in the room, many on this forum will
probably be surprised at my views. I don't force my opinion on others and don't like others trying to force theirs on me.
Another bonus, for me, is that since I've attended church i've got a lot more involved in the community. I've always been a strong trade unionist so helping others fits well in this. the other bonus is that, as I'm a very practical person, I get to work on the church and leave my mark on a building that is several hundred years old. Not many of us get that chance.

To sum up, can I believe in 2,000 year old teachings that have been the foundation for many of our laws and moral codes, yes. Whether you do is for you to decide.

Stencil

pew pew
Sep 8, 2006
Yorkshire.
2,000 years ago: Homicide is bad.
Present day: Homoicide is bad.
We don't need religion to figure out that homoicide is bad.

Do you believe in God, or is it just the ethics you admire?

Jun 11, 2008
So you don't believe in evolution either then?
You can't put science in one box and faith in another.

I'm of the integrational view when it comes to this subject.

To understand this you have to accept two things;

- the transitional nature of science
- changes in our interpretation of the bible

This allows you to make a balanced judgement where contadictions appear to exist

Homewrecker

previously Tomtimus Prime
Aug 9, 2010
Manchester
You can't put science in one box and faith in another.

I'm of the integrational view when it comes to this subject.

To understand this you have to accept two things;

- the transitional nature of science

- changes in our interpretation of the bible

This allows you to make a balanced judgement where contadictions appear to exist
I can only presume from that reply that you do accept evolution, however correct me if otherwise.

It kind of goes hand in hand, you don't get to pick....
If so, what makes Evolution different, why does it not go hand in hand?

Judgment is the act or process of judging; the formation of an opinion after consideration or deliberation.... in this case using your judgement to interoperate what you agree/disagree with based on developments made since the time that the original statement, in this case Evolution.

In essence, is this not 'picking'? Granted, its picking based on the overwhelming scientific evidence supporting that choice, but by excluding one of the fundamentals does that not undermine the credibility of the others?

I don’t want to come across as being difficult (which I probably am) but it is hugely interesting to me to what makes one thing more believable than an other? How can one element of faith be taken any more literal than another?