The Home Of European Paintball

280fps was it a problem????

Alien

MattttttLock
Jul 10, 2001
Wales
Visit site
Manike
Let me know when you run for the PMs job, you got my vote.

Leave the limit as it is and make head protection mandatory (fleece type head gear or similar).

Alien

Dan Chase

Jul 18, 2001
Surrey
www.bullswood.com
Gotta agree with the head gear issue. If there is any risk due to unprotected head areas then we`ve just got to cover up.

FPS? Manike got that one spot on.

Hardness of balls? Anyone remember Techno Ball? Man that stuff hurt. It was just bullet hard and bounced off everything. Legislation to stop anything like that being shot at people would be a good thing.

Dan

PS. Steve - Must speak to you about those alterations to my Net Hoods we looked into at the begining of the year.

Bud

" ..- - .-- .- - " ;)
Jul 7, 2001
vents

what became of vents, they had a good all round head protection that covered the whole head and went down the back to the neck.

Ledz

Jul 13, 2001
Planet Planet
www.planeteclipse.com
Vents Goggles

Vents goggles got bought out by Scott YEARS ago. But when Scott bought them they bought all the pattents, rights, etc etc but didn't buy the right to sell them or market them in Europe (Big mistake on behalf of there legal team) and so could not sell them in europe. As far as i know they don't exsist any more... LEDZ

Bully

Jul 12, 2001
Rochdale UK
www.playpaintball.co.uk
UKPSF WORD

Thank you to all who have entered the debate,

I would like to put a couple of articles in the next edition of the UKPSF WORD. Can some of you E mail me your articles, to date I have had two articles e mailed one for and one against.

My thoughts, we continue to look into the fps debate but as far as head gear goes we should make it mandatory!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think 99% of players seem to agree with this point.

I will continue to ask players about this point at Campaign and then formulate a new press release.

Steve

b0ned0me

Born to be Bald!!
Aug 9, 2001
Death Mountain
Visit site
Head protection

I would agree that this should be mandatory - in most activities head and eye protection are the top two priorities, because a serious injury to either is likely to do irreparable harm. The sport has already taken care of eyes, so why not do the head too?

Pretty well every punter site seems to dish out padded 'snoods' to prevent people from getting too badly bruised, which is as it should be, in my opinion. I believe most also enforce a 'head shots dont count' rule, but I don't think this would work in a tourney. If it was only for muggings, you would get into all sorts of heated debates as to what constituted a mugging ("He mugged me in the head! I'm still in" "No I didn't! I was moving forward and snapshot you before I got there! Walk, you *******!" <fisticuffs>)
If it was across the board, you would never get an elimination.

As for FPS, the current limit has worked well enough for the last many years - why change it without compelling reasons? IMHO, there are other safety issues that are more important than the actual speed of the ball, and which should be addressed first, such as overshooting, netting, barrell-blocking etc.

Mador

lurkin' in a dark place
Aug 7, 2001
Selby ...near York.
Visit site
As a virgin player at tournament level I don't know if I have the right to reply to this post but........I have a point to make so if you'll indulge me let me continue.

I have played only one tourney so far but have been a rec player for a while...back when Splatmasters were popular(looking back into the mists of time)

I have noticed that all site guns operate at approx 220 fps.....but the paint used is to be frank......sh**....it breaks rarely..and only on close moves......is this the way to promote our game??

My G/F has enjoyed her days out playing at rec level......but the bruising she had due to too many *bouncers*.....was unacceptable......no woman I have ever met liked having purple front equipment.

I believe that an improvement in the safety gear available to players and rec-players will help promote our game to a level to seen before...if we concentrate on the safety of our players not the velocity of the marker we we'll make a huge step forward into taking the game into the mainstream market.Pa

The problem that needs to be addressed here is not the marker but the safety equipment,......yes markers should operate at a safe level.....280-300fps.....no larger....as pointed out in the previous post....penalise a hot gun.....then give them a manual on how to take care of the thing.

Mador

lurkin' in a dark place
Aug 7, 2001
Selby ...near York.
Visit site
reply to speed of ball..........

I am probably not the best person to enter this discussion as I have only played one Tourney so far.....but I have a point to make....so if you will indulge me ....I will continue.

From a personal point of view .. I have been a Rec Player for a while......I still remember Splatmasters(not old.....just going bald)
and I have finally realised that this sport is what I have been looking for for a long while.

But I believe that the safety of our game is of paramount importance.Too many ppl are wary of our game.......just because it might just hurt a bit.....

But the safety aspect of our game will not be effected by the speed of a ball,most site operators have their guns set at 220-240 FPS..........with very cheap paint in them......not good.

Potential new players are walking away covered in *bouncer* bruises......is this good for us??

This increases the risk of up close *muggings*.....I know i've done it....not proud but it was the only way to make sure.Not good for us as a whole.....we make one player happy but alienate the sport to the person mugged and all their buddies.

We should have as a whole a UKPSF set of clear guideline for us all to follow....it is too grey at the moment......for all sites and players..this incudes the big boyz out there and us newbies.

I have noticed particularly at the JCS sties that safety is at the top of the list....(No plug..just the experience of an older Rec player).....but they offer complete protection to
players.......unusual......

But back to the main issue........lowering the marker speed is a bad idea.....it will result in more injuries......

*mugging* folk ain't good........Steve........you know this......do what you can to prevent this.....

I have a G/F that willl never play again........due to having her front equipment totally bruised........by a low firing gun.....making a ball splat is the point of our game.......not causing an injury.

Andy