Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

.50 cal ballistics data

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
Indeed, its site owners that need to be convinced as we are the big purchasers of paint and as you have already pointed out we all have already invested a lot of cash in .68 equipment. Its the ecconomics of it that will drive it one way or the other and a major part of that is the player experience. The ball will have to perform in terms of range, breakability and reliability and be highly price competitive for sites to even consider it.
A lot is made of the pain thing, and it is a major consideration for punter players, but as I mentioned above there is much we do to minimise that problem already with .68. Those selling .50 need to SELL it and prove to us that it is as good as they say it is.

So some questions.

What weight is a .50 ball (normal weight was 1.1 grams)
What FPS are they to be fired at? (.68 norm for events is 280fps and sites 250fps)
What price is rental paint going to come in at per box?

Would be good to get some simple answers to these simple questions.
Weight of the .50 cal ball is 1.25 grams normal .68 ball weighs 3.1 grams

You can shoot them at 300 fps and the joules (energy) is 5.7........ 68 cal guns now are 12.96 joules.

I am not going to post the cost of a case of paint wholesale on a public forum, come and see me at the UKPSF and I will be happy to give you that cost.

Thanks

Andy

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo,
thanks for making it clear you are not connected to .50 cal . Your postings on here certainly made it look like you were but its good to know what is actually happening.
?

I was asked by Richmond about 18 months or so ago to work with him on this project but the timing was wrong and things didn't work out but there was an interim period afterwards where I was working as a consultant but that's not the case now and so I'm at a loss as to why you believed I was ...

One thing tho, everything I stated regarding 50 cal was true and my belief still stands, 50 cal is a great thing for paintball because it is one of the few things that can revitalise the marketplace.

We can all sit on our backsides waiting for the recession to end and moan about the situation [like me] but at least Richmond did something positive.
One of the notable things concerning 50 cal was the ability for manufacturers and retailers to jump on the bandwagon thus ensuring if it did take off, the recovery would be distributed around the industry.

All that said, the tone of your post isn't really conducive to anyone responding because it looks as though you seem more interested in scoring points than you are in resolving queries.

I got no idea what the cost for 50 cal is, either paint or hardware but I do know Richmond, and if he has anything to do with anything, then it's generally gonna be a success.
There are many good things about the introduction of a new [lesser] ball size and everybody has to make their own decision ... it seems you have made yours.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Weight of the .50 cal ball is 1.25 grams normal .68 ball weighs 3.1 grams

You can shoot them at 300 fps and the joules (energy) is 5.7........ 68 cal guns now are 12.96 joules.

I am not going to post the cost of a case of paint wholesale on a public forum, come and see me at the UKPSF and I will be happy to give you that cost.

Thanks

Andy

Hmmmm........now you have supplied him with the data Pipes, I just wonder what the hell difference, the newly acquired knowledge that 50 cal balls weigh 1.25 grams and possess 5.7 joules of energy at 300fps can make?

......coz if I was considering 50 cal, this info would be top my list too ....... er...... not really tho.

Stee-vo

***zone - Annan
Aug 19, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
Thanks for the info

Robbo,
I am far from "sitting on my ass" as you would put it. I have just invested several £1,000's of my own money upgrading my site, we run and promote the England v Scotland scenario game twice a year, we are working with Shoreline to deliver the Wedding day masacre scenario game in June, we have launched this year tactical paintball games for hard core milsim fans and are in the process of building a tourney practice field to accomadate tourney players who want somewhere to train.
We have a extensive marketing campaign targeted at schools and youth groups to encourage them to play more paintball, I sponsor a team based at the site, we are sending out press packs to main stream media (papers, radio and TV) to promote the events and the sport and we run a large and well established walk-on scene to help support players who have their own kit (tourney or woods ball).
Nothing would delight me more than if there is an initiative that will let more people play paintball and maximise my profits but for those of us who make a living at this any decision has to be carefully considered and all the options and contingencies evalluated. Not interested in scoring points, simply interested in seeing paintball and my business flourish.

Piper, thanks for the information, its important to have the data behind the product and I look forward to chatting to you at the conference

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo,
I am far from "sitting on my ass" as you would put it. I have just invested several £1,000's of my own money upgrading my site, we run and promote the England v Scotland scenario game twice a year, we are working with Shoreline to deliver the Wedding day masacre scenario game in June, we have launched this year tactical paintball games for hard core milsim fans and are in the process of building a tourney practice field to accomadate tourney players who want somewhere to train.
We have a extensive marketing campaign targeted at schools and youth groups to encourage them to play more paintball, I sponsor a team based at the site, we are sending out press packs to main stream media (papers, radio and TV) to promote the events and the sport and we run a large and well established walk-on scene to help support players who have their own kit (tourney or woods ball).
Nothing would delight me more than if there is an initiative that will let more people play paintball and maximise my profits but for those of us who make a living at this any decision has to be carefully considered and all the options and contingencies evalluated. Not interested in scoring points, simply interested in seeing paintball and my business flourish.

Piper, thanks for the information, its important to have the data behind the product and I look forward to chatting to you at the conference
Actually Steve, I wasn't inferring you were sitting on your ass but there are a lot of people who seem to surface, solely to have a pop at initiatives like this, and they have done absolutely nothing themselves to help paintball.

I can see there is mileage in you adopting a positive approach in trying to help paintball grow not least because you are a site owner but as you may know, my opinion of some site owners isn't that good.
I don't know you, never heard of you, and so cannot comment but I will take your word and believe what you're telling me regarding your intentions of enquiry, until proven otherwise [hopefully not].

A lot of people attacked 50 cal for many different reasons with a lot of those reasons having little to do with genuine enquiry, and so legitimate questions tended to be lost amid vitriolic, and most certainly, unjust attacks, it was a frikkin mess !!!

Pipes was trying to answer some of these questions but ended up being personally abused by idiots; idiots who had nothing better to do than sit by a PC, compensating for the fact they were bashed up at school or the fact their mothers didn't give them enough toys to play with.

In your position as a site owner, you are the ones 50 cal should be focused upon and I am sure somewhere down the line, Richmond will address the problems he faces when trying to launch new product.
There will always be a certain degree of inertia to overcome when endeavouring to get people to abandon the more traditional 68 calibre in favour of this new upstart and eventually, the marketplace will settle down and embrace 50 cal for what it is.

50 cal is essentially a great idea for several reasons and I am sure Piper's address at this year's UKPSF meeting will go a long way to addressing a lot of people's doubts.
But one other thing, this site is not against anybody who has reasonable questions regarding 50 cal, on the other hand, if I believe, things are getting personal, then I will deal with it; this is not bias, it's throwing out the trash ....

Peace!

Stark_Cyc

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
One thing tho, everything I stated regarding 50 cal was true and my belief still stands, 50 cal is a great thing for paintball because it is one of the few things that can revitalise the marketplace.

We can all sit on our backsides waiting for the recession to end and moan about the situation [like me] but at least Richmond did something positive.
One of the notable things concerning 50 cal was the ability for manufacturers and retailers to jump on the bandwagon thus ensuring if it did take off, the recovery would be distributed around the industry.
What factors do you see 50 cal having over 68 cal to make a difference on current marketplace? As someone that runs a shop and rental site I havent been able so far to see the benefits of .50 over .68. Largest plus for .50 is its smaller shipping costs for boxes buts thats about it.

To my understanding Richmond/G.I Milsim dosent manufactur their own paint atm but have contracted current manufacturers for production while focusin on produsing hard parts and equipment in Taiwan and possibly mainland China?

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
What factors do you see 50 cal having over 68 cal to make a difference on current marketplace? As someone that runs a shop and rental site I havent been able so far to see the benefits of .50 over .68. Largest plus for .50 is its smaller shipping costs for boxes buts thats about it.

To my understanding Richmond/G.I Milsim dosent manufactur their own paint atm but have contracted current manufacturers for production while focusin on produsing hard parts and equipment in Taiwan and possibly mainland China?
I think but could be wrong that the current shift seems to be trying to use .50 as a cheaper and less painful way to introduce people to paintball. I have not seen any prices for .50 paint but I would guess that it is cheaper than 0.68. Then site owners can pick whatever is a suitable price to use it. I think the reduced pain in particular is probably the thing most likely to increase repeat business from women and children in particular.

So hopefully more people at rental level means that more will progress into either supair or scen paintball. At this level I think people would be happier to accept that it could hurt more to get hit i.e. by using 0.68, which seems to be better for us at the moment. A bit like going from casual go-kart racing to F1.

At the end of the day it is all theory until a few sites have tried it for a few months and measured if there have been any changes in customer levels.