Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

50 cal - does the UK customer benefit?

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Nope. Not if the initial tests are anything to go by. Doesn't matter how cheap it is if it doesn't break.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
These "tests" are hardly conclusive. You've probably seen people dropping paint in their kitchens and calling it a test.

Everyone knows there are lots of variables in how a paintball flies and breaks. All I'm concerned about is that it breaks when I SHOOT someone with it, i don't care if it's going to break off your kitchen floor.

The proof is in the pudding gents, SHOOT it first, then make your minds up.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
We hear all the hype, but the US market is not the same as the UK market, do you think that the UK customer will benefit in a change to 50 cal?

Yes the customer who chooses to shoot .50 will benefit from lower pricing on their paint, long term saving, alternatively spend the same money and get more bang for your buck.

I don't see why people are all up in arms about .50 cal, no one is being forced to use it :)

Random Invert

Oct 27, 2008
N.Wales - Wrexham
www.outpostpaintball.co.uk
Yes the customer who chooses to shoot .50 will benefit from lower pricing on their paint, long term saving, alternatively spend the same money and get more bang for your buck.

I don't see why people are all up in arms about .50 cal, no one is being forced to use it :)
As long as the balls work well on the field, the only short term downside is upgrading your kit but as well all know this change isn't going to happen over night and I can see Virtue etc bringing out loads of short term upgrades for current markers.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk

Interesting theory there Dusty, but are you thinking that the majority of customers are own gunners?

If you look at how most UK sites make their money, it is from paint sales
If they sell paint at 6p per ball will they drop it to 5p a ball, doubt it as that equates to a loss if income of £20 and when you factor in site cost of retooling, where is the benefit for the likes of Delta Force to switch all their sites to .50cal.

Now looking at own gunners they will probably save about £5 per box, but to cover the cost of re-equipping yourself to shoot .50cal, you would need to be using 90 boxes in the year and if you work it out not many average players actually use that amount whether in tournament or woodland.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to money and all we are hearing about are the respective ballistic qualities of .50 and .68cal. We know they can make the balls fly and burst very similar with a bit of tweaking, although it "may" need a slight bps increase.

The question is, are there any real benefits to UK Sites Owners and UK Customer base or are we just going to have to move with the times because its good for the US and possibly others?

And if anyone is interested I have no affiliation either way.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
Anyone who thinks site owners will drop there paint prices is being niave to the extreme.

Good site owners who regularly replace there kit will swap over as soon the time comes ,the other 90% will use the same ****ty markers untill people stop making .68.

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Just a quick question cos i have been out of the loop a while here.

Does .50 cal require a change in hoppers? Would the smaller sizes cause jams or other similar problems?

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Just a quick question cos i have been out of the loop a while here.

Does .50 cal require a change in hoppers? Would the smaller sizes cause jams or other similar problems?
Paddle and feedneck alterations that's all, though some could be retro fitted

I bet customer sites would request smaller pots, hoppers and harnesses too

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Paddle and feedneck alterations that's all, though some could be retro fitted

I bet customer sites would request smaller pots, hoppers and harnesses too
Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit. I will wait to see it in action before real judgement.

However from reading everything it appears that perhaps it could benefit/alter tournament play and style of game but for customer sites be less beneficial, at least in the short term.