Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

.68 cal or .50 cal?

neon_reaper

May 9, 2015
I'm new and just starting out so sorry if this is a stupid question, but which of the two calibres is used more commonly? I'm looking at going to walk-ons and they make you use their paint, but which size do they have? Is it one in particular or do they stock both? From what I've seen the .68 cal is more popular but the .50 cal is gaining traction and as far as I know, is always used in rental so I don't know whether to go for a 50 cal or 68 cal... Thanks to anyone that replies

Big_jim

Team PUPS/PBM
Feb 10, 2010
From what I've seen the .68 cal is more popular but the .50 cal is gaining traction and as far as I know, is always used in rental
Where did that information come from? 68 cal or you will be out of luck at most sites.

Sam_Herts

Mar 5, 2015
Hertfordshire
I am probably wrong, but from what I have heard it can be to do with insurance. .50 cal has a lighter impact and causes less pain so can be used with younger punters. Lower minimum age = more players I guess.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
.68 cal is used everywhere in walkons and tournaments/big games pretty much. Can't think I've ever heard of it being used other than some rental sites, where the lower paint costs and impact make it a viable product. I everything else, 68 is the standard. If buying your own kit, don't even think of buying 50 cal!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I am probably wrong, but from what I have heard it can be to do with insurance. .50 cal has a lighter impact and causes less pain so can be used with younger punters. Lower minimum age = more players I guess.
.50" has taken off with sites for two areas. As you have noted for younger 'low impact' paintball, especially with JT Splatmasters, and as a rental alternative with less overheads (after the initial change of equipment) due to lower logistics of .50" (storage/transport) and compressor time - less air used

.68" is still the standard

Epidenik

May 14, 2015
.50 cal was a thing a few years ago, to be honest I think it would have been cool to see it implemented for economic reasons, but not the biggest loss that it didn't succeed

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
.50 cal was a thing a few years ago, to be honest I think it would have been cool to see it implemented for economic reasons, but not the biggest loss that it didn't succeed
It's not that it didn't succeed
.50 cal has firmly found its place in the market

As it was being released there was of course the hype that it was the next big thing and would replace .68
Sticking to that would have left itself behind like all the other alternative calibre and designs in the history of paintball

The site industry have embraced .50 for what it can do for them and open new markets

Big_jim

Team PUPS/PBM
Feb 10, 2010
50 cal also does well in certain asian markets where the muzzle energy of 68 cal results in bans.

I think 68 cal would have done better had the original velocity limits not been set at the same as 68. The lack of range bothered players more than they liked the benefits endless hoppers and efficiency.