The Home Of European Paintball

**A Guide On What To Look for When Buying a Mask**

pEnNyWiSdOm225

Feb 22, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
What To Look For In A Mask

**Comfort**

One of the very important things to consider when purchasing a mask is," Is it comfortable?". A mask that is not comfortable for you is not a mask you want to purchase. If you do not find a mask comfortable, that can take away from the fun you have on the field. Would you wear shoes that weren't comfortable? How about a shirt that was 3 sizes too small or too big? That's the way a mask is, if it's not the right size, it won't be comfortable on you. Different people have different size heads. If a friend tells you to go get a certain mask because its really comfortable on him, ask him if you can try on his first. This way you know that what you are buying is going to fit you. If it doesn't fit right, then you just saved yourself time and money. There is no reason to ever buy a mask that you have never at least tried before.

**Visibility**

One of the things that makes the difference between a great mask and a mediocre one is the range of visibility. This includes fogging and the size degree of vision. A good mask will normally include a thermal lens. Most thermal lenses are two lenses that are connected. This keeps the air in the pocket between the lenses at the same temperature as the air around it. This is demonstrated on car windows. On some mornings, when you go outside, you will see that the windows of your car are all fogged up. This is because the temperature inside is different from the temperature outside. This is prevented with a thermal lens. One thing to remember though, is when you put your mask on make sure that you do not have any space between the padding and your face. If the outside air gets in it will cause fogging and fogging is bad. The Thermal lens for masks like V-Force are not the same as others. They have a special coating on them that prevents fogging instead of the normal double lens approach.

**“Bouncability”**

Not sure if that’s a word but what the heck. One thing some people look for in a mask is the material is made of and if they will be able to get bounces off of it. In paintball if you get hit in the mask you are out, no question. But with some masks (like the JT ProFlex) There are parts of the mask that is soft. When a paintball hits these soft spots it is less likely to break. Some people may think that it is not a big deal but others find it very important.

**Lens Changing**

This is another thing some players do not find important. For others this is crucial. There are some masks out there that are a pain when it comes to changing lens. There are others that are extremely easy. An example of this is the V-Force line of masks. They have a quick-change lens system that allows you to change lens very quickly. So if you ever have a problem with your mask it will only take you a very short time to change your lens, which could mean the difference between playing or sitting out for a game on the sidelines.

**Looks**

Another very thing to consider when buying a mask is the looks. Now this is definitely an opinion on the buyer’s part so not much can be said about this, but you will want to pick out a mask that you think looks good. In today’s paintball world, looks are very important. All the new gear that comes out is made to look different from before so the company can appeal to more players. So when choosing a mask get something that you think looks good. No one wants to have to wear a mask they think doesn’t look good.

**Price**

This is the big factor in buying a mask, “How much does it cost?” Not everyone has $100 to spend on a mask, but with patience you can find a mask for you with the money you have to spend, unless you have no money that is.My advice to anyone buying a mask is this, don’t rush into buying one, save your money and get something that will last you awhile and doesn’t fog on you. It is well worth the wait for a good mask. Don’t settle for a mask that will not fit you correctly, fog, and be an all-around nuisance. The mask is the most important part of your gear, don’t be cheap when buying it.

All of these are things to consider when buying a mask. As said before, the mask is the most important part of your gear, it is the only thing protecting your eye from a paintball traveling 300fps . When you buy a mask, make sure that it is something that you like and not something you got because your friend told you to. I hope that this guide will help you if you are in the market for a new mask.

If you see anything that you feel should be changed, feel free to drop me a Private message and I will look into it

Play Hard,

Penny

le-pig

the brotherhood
May 16, 2002
isle of man
Visit site
k,this is your first post and your telling people what to do,the info is ok but long winded
the most importent thing is it feels nice ie comfy,and it has thermal lenses
ps im not being nasty just trying to help:cool:

pEnNyWiSdOm225

Feb 22, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
Mind clicking the link in my sig? The one about being a member of PBReview.

That will take you to my profile from there and you will see that, even though I am a new member here, I am very active over there and I do know what i am talking about.

Im not taking offense to it though. I was just trying to share some tips for newer players.

le-pig

the brotherhood
May 16, 2002
isle of man
Visit site
not doubting your knowlage m8
all i was saying that it was long winded
ps 90% of people on there say there product is great,even though a lot of it is poo;)

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Basically adds up to
Does it feel comfortable? does it steam up? is it safe? Can you afford it?
There ya go.
As for bouncability..... dodgy ground... that's usualy around the mouth, some players (particularly the new ones will prefer rigid protection there.......I love my proteus, but if it takes a mouth hit you know about it).
And how about the life of a mask......... some of the cheaper alternatives are false economy, they drop to pieces pretty quickly, whereas invisions and proteus may cost a bit more, but they'll be with you a long time.
Best bet is to try a couple of masks that you like the look of and completely ignore any review you've read. It's all about personal taste.

pEnNyWiSdOm225

Feb 22, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
Originally posted by le-pig

ps 90% of people on there say there product is great,even though a lot of it is poo;)
On PBR? well we have a new moderator system set up that i am part of that goesthrough and deletes all the Bias reviews and reviews that do not fit certain standards.

We are cleaning up over there;)

Jose- yes bouncability is a little dodgy, but the fact is some players like the softer masks since a bounce means you are in the game longer. Im tournaments that is Huge for your team.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Originally posted by pEnNyWiSdOm225
On PBR? well we have a new moderator system set up that i am part of that goesthrough and deletes all the Bias reviews and reviews that do not fit certain standards.

We are cleaning up over there;)

Jose- yes bouncability is a little dodgy, but the fact is some players like the softer masks since a bounce means you are in the game longer. Im tournaments that is Huge for your team.
yes, but this is a newbies area of the forum. And definitive advice should really cover both aspects........ protection and cheating. (I mean....... wearing a bouncy mask for comfort......obviously.....not so you can bounce hits, who'd do that).
Anyone who's played for a while knows all this.........so if you're advising new players...... stick with safety, comfort and affordability.

Tinks

Feb 20, 2004
i agree wid the post, but maybe it was a bit long, newbies (like me!) dont need to know wot others think of the mask,( except if it looks cool or somthing,) cos they need to try it out for themselves, otherwise their just gonna get the one every1 likes and it prob. wont be comfortable for them, plus bouncability doesnt really need to include newbies, cos if they get hit in the flexi its gonna hurt like hell and as JoseDominguez their gonna prefer the rigid mask, like my dye invision,:D