Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

A levels - Bring em on

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by jonc
I don't agree that A-levels are getting easier, at least not 'til the new AS levels (I did mine the year before).

Anyone who thinks they have got easier, go back and take one, you'll soon find you're lost.....
On average, with each generation, their IQ gets higher (The Flynn effect).

JC
Okay I finally got someone to bite :)

The average grades for A-Levels have gone up over the last 10-15 years drastically more than the tiny increase in IQ which would be predicted over the same period. Since 16-18 year olds are not say 20% brighter than they were back in the Mid 80's to Early '90s but the A Level Grades are that much higher then there is definitely something amiss

One possible theory why is that because of League tables the teaching of subjects is far more geared to passing exams nowadays than actually learning about the subject.

BTW I did my A-Levels back in 1992 and people were complaining even back then they were easier than they used to be!

Moving back onto Paintball are there actually any college/6th form teams out there at all? Just asking with my UKPSF hat on as I am always interesting in compiling data on our sport

jonc

*** Slacker
Mar 24, 2002
London, UK
Visit site
I conceed that they maybe getting easier, as the statistics say. I have heard countless teachers say this, I am inclined to agree (given the facts). I could just be the kids working harder !! (not likely!!!)

But you still have to remember that some of the people that get the top grades do "deserve" them.

The fact that more people are getting higher grades is one of the reasons that loads of Unis now have interviews.

JC

Kardasz-Psycho Pimps

be be be be be - hey Buck
Mar 27, 2002
not the laundrette
Visit site
yes chris i am going to maidenhead (if thats sparklies)

well i gots my ict programming module tomorrow and because i have done so well with my course work i only need ten marks from this exam to get two b's.

A-levels are just generally hard, some are harder than others such as home economics and swedish, but it just depends on how well you want to do, if you want to do well then you put more efffort in with revision and stuff.

im in my third year at college i did sweet F.A. in my first two years but this year i decided that im definately leaving. even though my teachers are useless especially the technology ones.

But have any of you guys done revision- i had my tech exam yesterday and it was the first exam i have revised for in 2 years - it felt good to go into the exam and look at the paper and say - F****N hell i now all this.

P8ntball 2k2 - sorry m8 never heard of him

:cool:

Kardasz-Psycho Pimps

Mar 27, 2002
not the laundrette
Visit site
LEON WORKING FOR YOU SHOVELING **** WOULD BE MY DREAM JOB IN FACT ILL PACK MY JOB IN AT THE SITE AND COME AND WORK FOR YOU RIGHT NOW.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Alien

MattttttLock
Jul 10, 2001
Wales
Visit site
Sorry dude. We only employ people who are educated to our required (sub) standard. Besides, with you in the shed there would be no room for the rubbish:eek: :p :D :D

Alien
Bored silly with paperwork and wishing the weekend would arrive sooner :D

Alien

MattttttLock
Jul 10, 2001
Wales
Visit site
Dont tell me.
Low hours
never cut more than 5 sheets at a time
1 owner (ENRON):D

I recycle all of my used paper into compost:p

See ya

Alien

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Originally posted by Hotpoint

Okay I finally got someone to bite :)

The average grades for A-Levels have gone up over the last 10-15 years drastically more than the tiny increase in IQ which would be predicted over the same period. Since 16-18 year olds are not say 20% brighter than they were back in the Mid 80's to Early '90s but the A Level Grades are that much higher then there is definitely something amiss

One possible theory why is that because of League tables the teaching of subjects is far more geared to passing exams nowadays than actually learning about the subject.

BTW I did my A-Levels back in 1992 and people were complaining even back then they were easier than they used to be!

Moving back onto Paintball are there actually any college/6th form teams out there at all? Just asking with my UKPSF hat on as I am always interesting in compiling data on our sport
I reckon you're spot on with the fact that we're getting geared to pass the exams now. Sure - this SAT1 exam that all the yanks take, it's practically ALL technique (not saying there's no knowledge and skill involved, obviously if you know and understand the english words and the maths equation or whatever, you'll do considerably better). But you're able to practice so many exam papers that are all based on the same style for each section, that after a while you can simply learn the right way to do them and get a good pass grade. - Sure they practically ALL multiple choice too! If you can eliminate the rediculous answer then statistics say you're bound to get at least 25%! Quite ludicrous.

About the 6th form teams, I've tried that numerous times with mates from my college, but none of them want the expense - prefer to go out on the piss every weekend.....soooo.....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! C-ya! LOL :D

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
i went into my tech esam, opened it and thought F**KIN YES!!! then i opened the second paper and thought BOLLOCKS!!! it would have been useful if my teachers had actually TAUGHT me anythin over the past two years. Kardasz an Walker, you know what im talkin about.
Piss poor teachin, my god, dont they realise that theyre messin with our future?

Kardasz-Psycho Pimps

Mar 27, 2002
not the laundrette
Visit site
yeah Cooks but what you got to remeber is:

:mad: its solitaire - the game for old people/ bored people (please note im am not incinuating that there is a connection between old people and being bored)

:mad: can play solitaire, do **** all teaching and still get paid

:mad: as the exam approaches (2 weeks) think holy sh1t i should do something and i quote(this is the actual conversation)

teacher:<walks out of office>"ok guys you know you've
got two weeks to your exam, you haven't got time to
be looking on the internet, you should get some
work done"

kardasz/cooks :
+ other classmates :eek: "who the F**K are you"

teacher:"im your teacher for this year"

kardasz/cooks :
+ other classmates "where the F**k have you been "

teacher: "in my office "

kardasz/cooks :
+ other classmates <mutter underbreath >"doing F**K all you lazy muppet"

but this is the best, in our college we got these tech books that EDEXCEL use, and basically the exam is based on the stuff thats written in these text book. Please bare in mind that there approximately 40+ design students including GCSE people and 8 of these books. Two weeks before the first tech exams are supposed to start the teacher (the other lazy sod) walks in and reminds the A-level tech group (mine and cooks group) that we need these books to revise from so after that lesson i went to the library and asked the librarian if they had one of these books she said no they all went out last week-
:confused:

i went back to the tech teacher and told him that the books had gone, he said theres nothing i can do, i told you ages ago that you should have got one - er no you didnt:mad:

anyway it turned out that two guys from mine?cooks class had two of the books two of the people below us (AS-level) had the books and then all the rest of the books went to the GCSE people-

hang on the GCSE exams:

1: what is the name of the piece of equipment that is usually kept under the bonnet and makes the car go.

and these people need an A-level technology book to tell em that.

the teachers wouldnt even photo copy any of the notes for us, the basicall said it was tough sh1t and it was our own fault, well thats the kind of support that we need of out teachers. i just came into college borrowed the teachers book and made notes.

the lesson to be learnt is that when it comes to college/ uni and exams there is no point relying on your tutors, you just gotta go and do it for youreself, especially now its my 3rd (and final) year.

well thank god i got that off my chest - sh1t im gonna be late for my exam

bbyyyeeeeeee

:cool: