The Home Of European Paintball

A must read - PA rule change for the 2005 season

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Just saying that it solves some problems, like the gun stopping delivery of balls after the trigger is released.
Human reaction time from a visual stimulus (seeing a player is eliminated, or has lost their goggles etc) to acting or ceasing a continuous action is universally accepted to be about 200 ms at best, meaning that in the NXL, when a player sees danger, they will still be able to get off 3 shots before they can react and remove there finger from the trigger. With the ramping this 3 shot reaction time delay applys equally to ceasing the continuous walking of the trigger, but then due to the ramping there may be an extra shot or 2 afterwards.

2 out of 3 times it should only be 4, with a 1 in 6 chance of i being 3 and and a 1 in 6 chance of 5

So in a situation where a player needs to stop fireing (lost mask etc) it is not a case of:
nxl code = no extra balls, ramping = 1.

It is more like:
NXL= 3 extra balls, ramping = 3, 4 or 5 extra balls.

Meaning in real terms only a 33% average increase in extra shots. So there shouldn't be to much of a problem.:)

mad dog

On Facebook
Jan 18, 2002
Nottingham / UK
www.maddivision.co.uk
Somebody just organise a day, and put an end to all the arguments please.....

I have my veiws on it others have thiers.

Lets just test it and any one who wants thier say can come along, set a site runa small freindly as such competition day lol yer right!

Then we can objectively put an end to it or run the dam thing either way personally I am really not bothered as it will change not a lot but game skills between teams.

I may have to stick my finger in a portable freezer though to slow it down on a mugging run ha ha.

As for the comments on shots to the body being excessive, yes it will be for a while until certain levels of play from other teams reach a higher level and learn a little more control.

Enough said......

Lets just test it....

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I think that Andy said something about testing the ROF counter in an in-game type situation, presumabley they might use the oportunity to have a look at a few other issues such as those raised.

However to organise an event like mad dog suggested that specifically allows ramping, in order to test it, would involve admitting that the markers were illegal unless it was done after the H.O. approval.

If you play some of the better teams at the moment you will find to get the advantage some are more willing to play the grey when it comes to getting rid of hits than some of the not so serious teams. For this reason other top teams know what they are doing and shoot them more than it is possible to wipe so the player has no choice but to leave the field.

Playing at any sort of serious level you expect to take anything upto ten shots when being hit and possibly more ( I have personally taken two in the neck and sixteen in the back on the way out at a millenium event !) but people will have to learn that this is gonna become part of the game especially when all guys have ramping guns and front players can easily put out as much as the backs!

So if the game is gonna be faster and more aggressive like xball has become with 7 guns instead of 5 shooting on a similar sized field should we not be thinking of scrapping or modifying the rules for overshooting players because this is going to be a huge issue and point for argument in the near future.

If you want everyone to use faster guns dont start crying to the refs when you get hit more times !

ANDY.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by FAMINE
Oooh, and Manike, U mention that the cap would be on sustained fire, not short bursts. Could you gimme an insight in to how i program a marker into telling if im gonna fire for 0.5 seconds or 20 seconds?
Surely if ROF is capped at marker to 15bps, theres no way I can fire my stack at 20bps??
I'm not sure which post you are referring to but I believe you took that out of context. I believe I was talking about it in relation to gravity loading.

In the context of use with a gravity loader your average rof will be lower than your max. You can definitely say the average rof will be below 13, but you can't say that you won't get over that 'EVER' just by putting a gravity loader on top.

It is possible with a gun with an eye system that stores a single shot to occasionally get a high rof between TWO balls. JUST TWO BALLS.

So if you wanted to be an engineer and say 'never' possible. You can't.

But for all realistic measures and for the point of that use it is.

As an engineer, I clarified my point, by saying that with sustained fire the average will be below the cap you wish to have. But as an engineer I can't swear that it is impossible to ever get a rof above that cap for two shots.

Make more sense now? :)

sykesg

Smakin your Bitch up
Aug 22, 2001
London
www.mayhemtigers.com
Originally posted by manike
I'm not sure which post you are referring to but I believe you took that out of context. I believe I was talking about it in relation to gravity loading.

In the context of use with a gravity loader your average rof will be lower than your max. You can definitely say the average rof will be below 13, but you can't say that you won't get over that 'EVER' just by putting a gravity loader on top.

It is possible with a gun with an eye system that stores a single shot to occasionally get a high rof between TWO balls. JUST TWO BALLS.

So if you wanted to be an engineer and say 'never' possible. You can't.

But for all realistic measures and for the point of that use it is.

As an engineer, I clarified my point, by saying that with sustained fire the average will be below the cap you wish to have. But as an engineer I can't swear that it is impossible to ever get a rof above that cap for two shots.

Make more sense now? :)
does this mean we have to becareful how long the machine measures the rof? ie. the longer the better.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by sykesg
does this mean we have to becareful how long the machine measures the rof? ie. the longer the better.
Depends on the circumstances.

If it's a ROF limit implemented by the gun code, then NO, not at all.

You should be able to code it into the gun so you can get a very accurate rof for each shot.

Then your sampling system can simply look at the peak rof (between each shot and the next one) to determine if it is going above the cap or not.

If you were to cap by loader, then yes you may have to take an average period of time or number of shots. Because measuring JUST the peak could give you a false reading. The chances of getting a reading over 15bps is still rare. Trying to make it happen with a standard type gravity loader only ever gave me a peak (between two shots) of almost 16. With the average being far below 13.

It's pretty much a fluke set of circumstances, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

In general and for all reasonable purposes I wouldn't worry about anyone using a revvy style loader.

(Evil thought about putting halo drive system into a revvy shelll... oops sorry about that. ;) )