Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

A Problem with God

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
After reading this, I re-read the original post and the flaw is fairly simple. Its certainty.

For a start, the prisoner has used an inductive argument. That is one were you start at the end and deduce backwards (If C cannot be true, then I must look at B, but that can only be true when I reach B after A). So, to start with, his argument is based on the certainty that he knows that he cannot be executed on friday. But that only holds true for thursday night. So if the prisoner reaches thursday morning without being hanged, his reasoning is that he cannot be hanged friday, so must be hanged on thursday. But if that is true, then he cannot be surprised. And if he cannot be surprised, then what reason does he have to believe that he won't be surprised on friday. The answer is none. So, if he is certain he will be hanged on thursday (and therefore not surprised) then he cannot be certain that he will not be hanged on friday. That is contradictory to his argument. And if he cannot be certain, then he can still be surprised and therefore still hanged.

It took several reads but I do not believe that this is a true paradox. More an interpretation of the prisoner and guards logic.
:cool:

Bed, you might care to re-read again mate, it is indeed a paradox, the guard hasn't bought into ths any logic whatsoever, he has just made statements.
It is the prisoner who is arguing his freedom on the basis of what looks like a logical progression ... but therein lies the paradox, because he will get executed ...sorry mate, try again mate !

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think the answer would be easier to come up with if you stop considering time as a line or multilple time-lines. Just because it only goes in one way for us, and a thoerical backwards direction doesn't mean that it is a line. If god does exist (which i don't believe myself) then he has seen all of time already even if it has no begining or end. So then any changes he makes would not affect a time-line but simply existence. Sure he could take somebody back in time but that would be against the idea of god allowing free will.

I think more more complex question has already come up;

F3Z, just because we experience time linearly and in a forward directing doesn't mean we cannot theorize about time in may other forms, and in fact we do, one of which is an infinity of 'nowness' where all points of time are splayed out at once ... I'm afraid introducing the notion of 'free will' into this isn't dealing with the problem at all, it's muddying the waters and completely academic.

And as for you not believing in a god?
I can understand somebody not believing in a religious God but to suggest there is no creator (god) seems irresponsible at the very least, if not a little naive.
Still, 'each to his own' as they say :)

TEKLOFTY

You're in the jungle baby
Jan 7, 2009
In your sphincter
And as for you not believing in a god?
I can understand somebody not believing in a religious God but to suggest there is no creator (god) seems irresponsible at the very least, if not a little naive.
Still, 'each to his own' as they say :)
How is not believing in a creator in any way 'irresponsible'?

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
I think the best way for me to answer your question is to ask another, it's after the Socratic fashion of teaching ...... What evidence would you offer up to suppport there being no creator ???
You could flip that around to, what evidence could you offer up to prove one exists?

TEKLOFTY

You're in the jungle baby
Jan 7, 2009
In your sphincter
I think the best way for me to answer your question is to ask another, it's after the Socratic fashion of teaching ...... What evidence would you offer up to suppport there being no creator ???
That was not my question, i asked how is it irresponsible?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
You could flip that around to, what evidence could you offer up to prove one exists?
Bon, it would seem a bit silly to answer one question with another for another but I won't go down that road just yet and I'll let Tek answer what I have asked before I get to answering yours.