Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Advancements in paintball

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Originally posted by Robbo
It has to be Sup' Air Fields which enabled paintball to divorce itself from the para-militaristic asoociations that so plagued our sport in the beginning.
The open format game also enabled us to eventually throw away those God-forsaken cammos and embrace 'extreme' design gear we all now wear.
Para-militaristic wasn't a plague in the 80's. But that was a diffrent era of time. It's become.... inconvinent...

And as far as extreme clothing goes... What we're wearing is not extreme. You know what would be better is to just have sporting gear that's commonly available, similar to what real sportsmen wear. But, that's it's own thing, isn't it?

I suppose I'd be less jaded if jerseys fit me, and so did the pants, and the shoes, and the... and the....

-Tyg (the big bad mo fo)

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Hey guys,

It's not about style of play..... my bottom line is this. Sup 'air is relatively new, and at the moment it's a great showcase. 2 things may happen - three years down the line and you lot will be bored with it; or it will be moulded into summat else. Games are following a formula where mass paint, quick triggers and fixed lines become the order of the day. The beautiful chess-like game of paintball becomes a quick and hurried rush of draughts. Get the analogy?

Now take fields like Pittsburgh NPPL, or the old Kooh Doow fields, or even the big open field at Sidcup (sorry I'm old skool)- there were hundreds of different theories on how to play these fields. You could watch Marcus Davis take half the field from the break, The Eagles roll over you down the left, the Nam would worry you into submission like a methodical German football team. It was all in the open with opportunities for sponsorship and spectators - etc. But the style of play was not the same. Compare this to Arenaball, or Mick Holdaway's speedball - different kettle of fish. Great fun, exhilirating, but I've done fairly well in both those tournaments and our tactics were the same in both, and in each game. It's not summat you want to do month in month out.

What do you think?

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
Originally posted by rancid
It's not summat you want to do month in month out.
Hey Rancid, if you're saying that on a Sup'Air field you can only play one style, then I'd have to disagree most vociferously (ooh, what a big word! ;) ).
When I was playing right at the bottom of the entry divisions, I don't think there was two games within the space of six months where we played the same tactic.
OK, part of this was down to us not knowing what positions we wanted to play, but a lot of it was playing to (or trying at least) the weakness of the other teams, eg, if we know the next team we're playing is a bit more sit back, then we would play an extra tape man, and send a couple of muggers on the break, whatever.

There are a wide variety of tactics (read playing methods) on sup'air/concept, you can sit back (All A's), be technically superb (Russian Legion) or go haring down the field (Dynasty).
There is also a huge number of ways the field can be set up, to suit defensive, or, as is the current trend, to favour the more aggressive teams. What I'm waiting for is the day I go to a tourney and find no back corner bunkers whatsoever, or at least so small they are unusable - lie down carrots anyone??

Just my tuppence worth....