Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Advice for speedball gear & newbie question.

L1nc0ln

Sep 28, 2013
Hello !

First of all, I'm new to this forum, so hello !

Short blabla on me :
L1nc0ln
French, Live in edinburgh, new to paintball, but old monkey of airsoft.
3rd year Uni.
Eager to learn :)
Objective : Since I have done a lot of airsoft, I aim for a more sportsfull way of playing without the millitary thing, So , speedball and tournament :)

Let's introduce the contexte properly :
I just signed up at the paintball society of my uni, and we aim for a student tournament by the end of the year (Speedball).
So, I'm looking for gear and gun, which would be reasonably reliable and upgradable because of my budget.
I don't want anything linked to camo/ woodsball, since I already have a lot of airsoft stuff.

I just played speedball once, But I have been an airsoft player for a looong time. So I do have some limited knowledge.

Anyway, for know, I'm looking for :

First this month:
- Mask ( 25 - 70 max)
- Pants ( 25 - 60 max)
- Gloves. ( 5 - 25 max )
- Jersey ( 25 - 50 max)

Then a few month latter :
- Gun
- air tank
- hopper
- Massive amount of paintball.

After some reading, that is what i believe is my need (correct me as will, I'm a newbie :) )

Mask : Since I will put my POV cam on it, I don't want to have to change it.
I suppose something with thermal lens is a minimum but after that, I don't know.
Proto FS would be a good start ?

Pants : Something durable and reliable. 35 £ best. Something that will protect my knee. Last time I was just in jean and I basically just destroy myself trying to slide.
Enola gaye killer star ?
http://www.wearepaintball.com/softgoods/clothing/player-pants/enola-gaye-killstar-pant-white.html

Gloves :
Well, I can put a reasonable amount of money in gloves ( 35 max) , since I will use them for my bike as well. they just should not be "future armor style" in order to be discret in the street. I used to have a pair of M-pact Mechanix, and it was fine, but again, for airsoft, so I don't know was Is good for paintball.

Jersey :
Well I don't know if it's really usefull. I guess something that protect my elbow and torso a litle bit, durable.

As for a gun and stuff :

- Hopper : Gravity fed (Cheap, but reliable) should be ok for a start I guess, since it's something that I can easly replace latter.

- Air tank : no C0², crappy in airsoft, so it's the same thing in paintball I suppose...
Solid and reliable nothing else.

- paintball : Were can I buy a lot in order to save money ?

- Gun : Well, as for the gun itself, I just want a good elec base (Or meca if it's really cheaper to upgrade it latter) , witch can be totally upgradable, since I don't have a lot of money.
Invert mini ?
Proto rail ?
Well, The only thing that I had in my hand was the Tippman 98. The paintball was falling a litle bit too much to my taste, and the accuracy was not great, But it worked well, and I was still happy to play with it in the end.
The thing is, I'm used to much more straigh trajectory because of the airsoft. We have hop-up ^^ I don't know if you have such technology in paintball :/

I have no problem buying second hand stuff.

My overall budget for the next month is more or less 300 £
This should include :
- mask
- pants
- gloves
- air tank
- gun
- hopper

if something else can fit in this budget great , if not, well, I'll wait.

Last thing : I see that pro player keep the tank on the gun. Why ? Wouldn't it be better on your back with a remote cable ?

Anyway, thank you for your advice, I hope it wasn't horrible to read (I'm french... Sorry...)

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Before spending have a good look around and try to get your hands on some equipment to get the feel of it

(If you do opt for Enola Gaye/we are paintball items then click on the Facebook logo in my signature banner. On the team Facebook you will find a discount code gallery, like us and get a discount wig EG/WAP)

Discuss things with the university paintball society - discounts may also be available, and if going in the tournament direction they may be able to guide you

For a cheap gravity hopper go for the proto primo. The 'shelf' cuts down stoppages on a gravity hopper, but if you can push the budget a little further a 'halo too' is as good as any premium hopper

For a cylinder an aluminium/fibre is always value for money before you need any specific balance etc
These are used on the gun for the majority of the time because the cylinder is used as the stock (fibres have an advantage here as the curved base allows it to roll naturally in your shoulder)

L1nc0ln

Sep 28, 2013
For a gun, I do want to try some stuff before buying anything.
I just wanted some prime advice.

Got it for the air tank on the gun, one less thing to buy. I was thinking that aiming without stock wouldn't be very confortable.

I think, what I really whant to buy quickly are mask, pants and gloves, Because I simply hate to rent this kind of thing XD

connor96

Jul 26, 2013
northampton
For a gun, I do want to try some stuff before buying anything.
I just wanted some prime advice.

Got it for the air tank on the gun, one less thing to buy. I was thinking that aiming without stock wouldn't be very confortable.

I think, what I really whant to buy quickly are mask, pants and gloves, Because I simply hate to rent this kind of thing XD
don't worry about a stock in speedball doesn't do much so use the money on other kit.

M4rk

Monkey Spankers
Jul 31, 2012
Norfolk
I've got a new boxed gravity fed primo hopper you can have if you message me your address, all I ask is you repay the postage when it arrives. Personally though I would go straight to a basic electronic hopper, as they are cheap enough second hand.
As a beginner you can get away with any paintball clothing, and you can give yourself extra padding later by adding knee and elbow pads.

Mask is the most important part of your equipment, but I would recommend trying some on first before committing.

RandyOne

Jul 23, 2013
Woking
£300 is quite a small budget to get everything you need to start. I would be very interesting to see what you total bill is at the end.
That being said its nice to see someone thinking about protection before the gun.

Can I suggest moving to a electro hopper instead of a gravity fed one. just about every gun can take one and its one less thing to upgrade once you start. Guns that shoot faster than a few balls a second wont be feed fast enough by a gravity feed hopper. Guns with out eye's wont be able to tell if the balls not there yet and your going to end up with a mess :( which no one likes.
By a second hand one. If its a bit bashed up maybe get a new shell for it. most hoppers you can buy just the shell. Or use it till its dead and then by a shell :)