Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Air bottle leaking air

tombut716

Team Proteus Founder & UKPSF Member #5993
May 13, 2013
Cheshire
noticed a small loss in air after airing up my bottle, more so yesterday, but cant hear a leak or see anything. Could this be down to the gauge over reading when airing up, or could there be a leak? also can hear a water bubbling noise when airing up too. any help would be appreciated.

Hobo_Joe

Enjoying the view...
Oct 30, 2004
London
There are 3 things I would try to see if there was an air leak. First would be to put a balloon or something over the reg and give it time. If it expands there is a leak.

The next and best option would be take it in to someone who can check and service the reg to make sure its all safe.

Lastly, if the other 2 options arnt possible then (I would be more wary of doing this), I would place a glass over the reg (ensure the glass is upside down and the reg is facing straight up). While in this position submerge the whole lot in a bucket of water. The glass will trap air around the reg making sure it doesn't get wet. If air is leaking the air will leak into the glass and eventually you will see bubbles escaping from the lip of the glass.

I would be nervous of getting the reg wet so only try option 3 if you really understand what I mean and cant do number 1.
This is what I would do and may not be the best or safest option. Do so at your own risk. You are best off taking it in to be checked!!!!

Evil Rich

Platinum Member Lifetime PMGWC #101
May 22, 2008
Northumberland
Stick your reg in a glass if water. It's a sealed unit and no need to he afraid of getting it wet, any leaks and you'll see the bubbles!
All will lose a small amount of pressure over time, normally after filling, due to the speed and instant pressure, the air is expanded, expect to lose a few hundred psi after the temp has cooled to ambient again. Normal

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
what type of Reg is it please ? = name on it ? if it`s a Myth reg ? then usually it`ll come from the Pin and all it needs is a tighten down with a Hollow allen key that fits directly on the pin hole, I have one and so do many others but I`ve found that large amount of people DONT, maybe this could be the answer ?
if it`s another type of reg then it`ll be one of the burst dics on the side of the neck of reg, sometimes it may be a case of just to tighten but not too much as it`ll strip the thread, it`s only a small amount of thread, in which case undo then put another = around £4 - £5 from Just Paintball above.
10 x second job.
put some water in your basin then put your bottle reg to see where the leak comes from first. same as fixing maybe your old pushbike inner tube. . . look for bubbles ??

Last edited:

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
As evil rich says, stick it in a glass of water and see where the bubbles come from. If you got pressure in your bottle no water can ingress the reg due to the pressure inside it with the exception of the gauge dial which isn't pressurised so you will get water in there through the gauge vent hole so it's worth sealing that hole with a bit of tape.
Once you know where it's leaking from then we can advise on the best way to fix it.

tombut716

Team Proteus Founder & UKPSF Member #5993
May 13, 2013
Cheshire
It is a myth reg, but as evil said it might just be the intial air settling after expanding. I was gonna try putting it in water but wasn't sure but will try that tomorrow. Cheers guys!

WingNut

UK Redskins
Oct 31, 2003
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
I too am having pressure loss from a Myth G3 reg.

Do you have your reg attached to the bottle with loctite or do you have it just screwed in tight?

online via my uber funky Galaxy Note III

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
I too am having pressure loss from a Myth G3 reg.

Do you have your reg attached to the bottle with loctite or do you have it just screwed in tight?

online via my uber funky Galaxy Note III
Note - loctite 'should' not affect the seal. It's a thread locker to secure joins, particularly from vibration, not a sealant. The loctite that is primarily used is both a locker and sealant, but only if used correctly.

A regulator that is fitted correctly without loctite will still seal. The threads are tapered, and provided the thread is not damaged, and tightened correctly will be sealed.

The question would be - is it the original regulator without having been removed?
Check the fill nipple & gauge are tight, only tighten slightly if adjusting

And regarding dipping in water, no water will get in if there is pressure in the cylinder. But don't drown the cylinder

If in doubt let someone who knows what they are doing check it out

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
It is a myth reg, but as evil said it might just be the intial air settling after expanding. I was gonna try putting it in water but wasn't sure but will try that tomorrow. Cheers guys!
Does it have 2 burst discs or just one, if it's just got one then there will be a small vent hole behind the gauge which is for releasing pressure if the reg malfunctions (which is what an 1800psi burst disc does), lots of people have thought they had leaks from the gauge but it was coming from this hole.
One other place you could be loosing air from is the oring sealing the reg on the bottle.