Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Air filling possible?

Rainmaker

Nov 3, 2020
I'm not sure if it's possible to fill up my air tank without going to a site to play.
I'm getting back into the game and bought a new bottle but the marker hasn't been used for some time, although I did and just recently as well cleaned lubed it so it should, but obviously I want to be make sure it doesn't leak on me when I start to play.
I guess, scuba shops can do refill (tad bit harder with the lockdown in place)?
I'm in the West Midlands

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Some scuba shops may fill a paintball bottle but i get the impression most of them won't, but they will fill dive bottles and you fill your bottle from a dive bottle but of course you need a dive bottle.

Stirrup pumps in theory will fill a paintball bottle but it's going to take weeks of pumping unless it's a small 13ci bottle.

Reactions: Rainmaker and Tom

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
In theory you could use a stirrup pump to pressurise the gun directly, enough for a single shot at a time and to check for leaks, but i'd say the chances of over pressurising it are great and could result in blowing all the seals and orings.

Reactions: Rainmaker

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
I just tried my stirrup pump direct to gun theory on an old A5 i bought for display purposes, 3 pumps of my cheap ebay stirrup pump puts around 800psi ( if the gauge is to believed ) into it, enough to detect any leaks and cycle the gun once, so there you go. What's surprising me is, the non working A5 i bought for a tenner about 5 year ago and i've never tried it with air before now, actually works and doesn't leak.

Rainmaker

Nov 3, 2020
Thanks all for the reply.

Were in the Midlands are you ?.
Coventry, close to the M6 to be more precise.

In theory you could use a stirrup pump to pressurise the gun directly, enough for a single shot at a time and to check for leaks, but i'd say the chances of over pressurising it are great and could result in blowing all the seals and orings.
I wouldn't do the pump straight to the marker due to not having a gauge on the marker thus over pressurising like you mentioned.

k4p84

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2009
www.paintballskirmish.co.uk
I wouldn't do the pump straight to the marker due to not having a gauge on the marker thus over pressurising like you mentioned.
The pump has a gauge on, no real issue pumping a marker directly, basic markers like this will have a designed input pressure of 800psi, higher end markers would be lower. I'd advise pumping the bottle up but to get a large volume up to pressure will just take a lot more pumping

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
As above, it’s possible with a stirrup pump and they are at reasonable prices now

Do make sure that it’s a high pressure stirrup pump and has a filter (some are with, most without but they can be added)

Into an air cylinder there is the larger capacity so you need to get a higher quantity of air at a reasonable pressure.

Directly into the gun only needs to fill a smaller area, so takes less pumps to get to pressure in a lower capacity

Obviously with the caution as the pressure could get high without you noticing, and the pumps gauge probably has a scale up to around 5000psi, whereas in gun you will want only a couple of hundred PSI to detect any leaks

An electronic one would typically operate around 200 something PSI but have an inline regulator and gauge, a mechanical ought to happily take over 500psi
(Original paintball cyclinder regulators would output at approx 800/850psi, but something like 600/650psi is more typical today)